Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
QueenCreole313
Describe a typical homeschool day ...
February 11, 2013 at 8:56 PM
I'm interested in how each of you choose to run your home academy. This is not for competitive purposes. But rather to share ideas.

Please describe a typical day or week in your homeschool.

What curriculum, books, games, websites can you not live without. How do you structure your day? The list can go on...

Replies

• womanwifemomof3
    February 11, 2013 at 9:23 PM

She is in 2nd grade. 

Today:

She woke up, had breakfast and worked on a math puzzle for about 30 min. I just gave it to her without instructions.  She asked a couple questions to understand how to do it.   Then she did some reading.  I asked her questions about it to see if she understood what she read.  Then she played outside with younger siblings.  They were sledding for almost an hour.  She came in and wrote a journal entry.  Then practiced the piano.  She  worked on some Valentines for her friends.  Then we ate lunch.  She helped clean up lunch.  She did some more reading while I put the littles down for a nap.  Then we did her online health class together.  I quizzed her on some spelling words and she corrected her work. She watched her  Liberty Kids/American Heroes class online (the Intolerable Acts was the topic today) and had questions to answer on the computer about it.  Then she built a fort with her brother in her room and planned to sleep there tonight.  We went outside to greet the kids as they got off the school bus.  They played and chatted together for about an hour and a half.  Then dinner.  Then gymnastics class.  Then baths and they got settled into their fort and chatted and played stuffed animals a while and should be asleep soon.

Tomorrow

In the morning after about 20 min. of math, she will go to the neighbor lady's house and they will read continue reading the Little House on the Prairie series.  They are on the 4th book.  They have a good time reading and discussing together.  Then she has a homeschoolers clay class in the basement at the art museum. It's 2 hours so I will go to the library to pick up some more books and take the littles to story time during her class.  Then we will have lunch. She always helps me clean up after lunch.  We will do a science experiment after lunch and then practice the piano and write in her journal. She said she would vacuum for me.  She will probably want to work on her Valentines Day Cards some more because we have some new craft stuff that she wants to explore. We will go outside and pick up the after school kids again.  She will come with me to Zumba in the evening because she made a friend there with another girl who tags along with her mom and I think they planned to play raquet ball together during the Zumba class.  I wonder if she will sleep in the  fort again with her lil brother or if they will end up back in their beds.

• coala
    by coala
    February 11, 2013 at 10:05 PM

K student--she watches her ABeka video's and does her work at the same time....takes about 2 hours a day.  She then moves onto reading a chapter book and works on her cursive letters and plays.  She does a lot of learning activities in other ways.  She plays babies and legos and various other things.  She takes skating lessons on Wednesdays and Saturdays as well as goes to a Tech Tots class on Fridays at 9.

1st grader---watches her ABeka Videos and does her work at the same time, this takes about 2 1/2 hours.  She also have 1 1/2 hours of reinforcement work that she does....spellling, writting numbers and reading for 1/2 hour.  She also does skating on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and will be taking a computer class on Frididays at 8. 

They will both be starting swimming lessons on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the next 3 weeks.  They are busy and have a ton of activities available to them.  They also have the ability to use the computer and tablets to do educational games.  I also let them play a dance game on the WII.

• starbeck96
    February 11, 2013 at 10:06 PM

We do not have a strict schedule at all.  I am very relaxed as far as scheduling.

I usually get up around 7:00.  My daughter usually gets up around 8:30-9:00.  The boys usually get up around 9:30.

I begin around 10:00 with my daughter.  I do phonics class with my daughter (she is 6).  We also do a little review. This usually takes around 20 minutes.  While my daughter and I are in the school room, the boys (age 14) are doing their morning chores.  Then, my daughter usually gets a 10-15 minute break.  During this time, the boys use the school room to do their work.  I have all of their assignments for the day in a folder so they know exactly what to do everyday.  After my daughter's break, we get her reading assignments and bring them into the living room.  We try to read at least 10-15 minutes during this time.  My boys usually work for 30-45 minutes and then take a break.  While they are on their break, my daughter and I go back into the schoolroom and do our math time.  This is also when we do our calendar time.  This usually takes another 20 minutes.  By now the boys are ready to go finish their remaining schoolwork.  They are free to take a break whenever they like.  They are also free to do their schoolwork anywhere in the house, but I have found that they prefer to do it in the schoolroom.  My daughter also has worksheets and she usually does them after lunch.

Next week I will be adding a little more for my daughter.  She is doing so well and seems to really enjoy Science.  So, I will be doing Science more often.  I am also going to add a reading time to the afternoon.  I am also planning on training her to do a little more independent work.  I am going to give her a spelling list, probably 5 words.  She will write these everyday in manuscript to help keep her with her manuscript writing, since we have moved on to cursive.  I am also going to give her more addition worksheets, which she will complete on her own.

My daughter loves her tablet and so do I.  She uses it during times that the boys are finishing up their work, but her work is already finished.  This gives her something quiet to do while still learning.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 11, 2013 at 10:35 PM

We are child led learners.  Each of our days are a little different.    Today for we did a variety of things.  My oldest is 10 and is really into geometry right now.  He worked on some Geometry and I read a chapter out of the life of fred to him.  I also read a chapter of the life of fred to my youngest as well.  I also read a chapter for science and history out of our book.  It was mostly on the dark ages and Robert Boyle.  How history of the dark ages held back science for awhile.  I believe the book is called The story of Chemistry.    We also did a workbook page for English and Vocab.  My youngest read a page on forensic science and we did a crossword together.  My kids picked their new spelling words.  My oldest picked submarine, balance, battery, motion, and mission.  My youngest picked guinea, kite, keet, block, and scooter.  Our suffix to learn this week is less.  I also read a picture book to my youngest on force and motion.  I managed to get all my laundry down today and my boys cleaned the living room and their bedroom.  At the end of the day I went outside with my boys and jumped on our trampoline with them.  My youngest told me that I would make a wonderful school teacher.  He said I would do wonderful coke and mentos experiements and lots of other fun things.  He also said that I would a good teacher because I was so nice.  My boys also spent some time reading silently and playing roblox on the computer.  We had a fun day at home.  Tomorrow is going to be fun but very busy.  We are going to co-op and karate tomorrow.  No relaxing day at home for us.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    February 12, 2013 at 12:29 AM

We use a Homeschool charter school but are til lsomewhat eclectic and somewhat school-at-home. I NEED some type of routine/schedule due to some OCd type issues and so does my middle Ds who has ADD.

The Charter has optional classes and I let the kids choose if they participate or not. Right now each of the kids goes for one ortwo classes so here is our week.....

I have the kids get up on their own and eat breakfast on their own. They need to be dressed before it's tme to leave the ouse but s long as there are no plans, I dont care if they stay in jammies until late in the day. They can watch TV in the mornings but no video games.

Each day school starts around 9am-9:30.

Mondays DD goes to co-op. She does Art, then a group class (muc like the old one-room schoolhouse) which ismixed 1st-7th grade.Theywork together, and help eachother. It's SO COOL! She is gone from 9am - 2:30 pm so I get one-on-one time with DS2 who has a minor learning disability. It's a great day for us to knock out work.

Tuesday & Thursdays are pretty much the same. I have al lthree kids home. We start around 9:30...work on different subjects. DD and Ds2 do All About Spelling and ASL together.. They are both in Pre-team gymnastics so we have gym after school.

Wednesday and Friday,  the boys both go to the co-op and I have DD home for one-on-one. The boys are only gone for about 2 hours and both take a Literature class. Ds2 does an art class and Ds1 does student store/small business management..

Each day, the kids can take breaks as needed between subjects. my oldest is in 9th grade and only needs me to answer questions or to help randomly. I don't actually "teach" him anything he does everything through textbooks, videos or computer programs.

Lunch is between 11-12- sometimes as late as 1pm.  Then they get back to work until everything is done. Usually around 2ish.

• KrissyKC
    February 12, 2013 at 9:13 AM

On the days we don't have to work around events or weren't up late the night before (like for church or runnign out to pick Daddy up at work late or something)...

6:30 Wake

Then... devotion, prayer, breakfast, chore, hygiene...

7:30 Block A schoolwork (Math, typing, journal, practice Bible Quiz stuff)

a little before 9.... Snack and movement break

9:20 either get back on school work or take preschooler to school

Block B school work...  English, spelling games, reading, other L/A projects

11:30 Lunch and chores then short movement break... (they are asked to go outside, play legos, do something that isn't just sitting and reading or watching TV)

12:30  Block C ... this is our Science or social studies block with non-fiction reading thrown in.

1:45  Done with official school work, but my kids have another block of their own "homework"

Homework:   Practice their musical instrument for 20-30 mins, practice their Bible Quiz stuff again, finish incomplete work, do a third small chore...

Rest of the day is theirs unless we have stuff going on.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM
    We do things a little differently, but we are second grade, Waldorf first grade and I have a 3.5 year old and 8 month old:

Girls wake at 7:30ish, get dressed, potty, morning chores, breakfast
    9:00 circle time (morning verse, movement, song, calendar, story)
    Then main lesson usually takes about 30 minutes to an hour
    Snack
    Free play until lunch
    Lunch
    Nap for the middle child at 12:30
    Do any one on one work that needs done with oldest
    Done.

The rest of the day is baking, cleaning, laundry, cooking, or whatever else we are doing that day. We often will switch things around a bit as needed. Our baking/cooking etc is part of our lessons. We also do handwork 2-3 days a week (right now it is knitting) during the middle child's nap.
  • BramblePatch
    February 12, 2013 at 10:13 AM
    I have a pre-k and a K.

A typical day here:

The kids wake up between 6:30 and 7:00
    Watch one cartoon on PBS or off TiVo (while I make beds and get breakfast)
    Breakfast
    Playtime (while I shower and get dressed)
    They get dressed
    SCHOOLTIME (Between 2 and 3 hours, depending on the workload, projects, reading, etc)
    Lunch
    Errands, if any
    Ice skating practice 2-3 times a week...a nature walk days we do not skate.
    DVD time (while I clean for about an hour-ish...and start dinner)
    Dinner
    Toy clean-up
    Bath time for the kids
    Bedtime (between 8:00 and 8:30)
    I do laudry, catch up on TV, clean the kitchen, put the dishes away, etc....
    Bedtime for Mom is between 11pm and Midnight.
  • kirbymom
    February 12, 2013 at 6:10 PM

We don't have a set schedule anymore. I used to but my kids are a lot more independant now and they do their school after dad and I are basically done conversating. Some days that happens all day though.  lol  :) 

• almondpigeon
    February 12, 2013 at 7:05 PM

we wake up @ 7:30ish.  my oldest son is in public school, so we all pile in the car to take him to school.  when we get back, we have breakfast. 

school:  pledge of allegiance, calendar time, we work on grammar type stuff. she alternates between social studies & science.  we do a ton of math because she loves it.  we do some sort of art project every day even if it's only coloring sheets.  she's in 1st grade, so her school day is relatively short.  we're usually finished in under 2 hours. 

cleaning for 30-45 minutes, lunch, "quiet time", snack time, play time, dinner, baths, tv, bed.

on tuesdays, she goes to the YMCA for a PE class & she has girl scouts on Monday evenings.  

our schedule is pretty relaxed.  as long as everything is done in the same order, i'm happy.  we're not really on a time schedule at all.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN