Homeschooling Moms

kiwimom74
Need help with convincing DH to homeschool..
February 11, 2013 at 5:31 PM

LOL I have less than three weeks to convince DH to go back to homeschooling - DD's contract for the 2nd grade is due 3/1.

One of DH's arguments is that how can I work if they are at home and obviously the answer is I can't.  We would save an arm and a leg by not having them in private school but then he wants to know what I will do when they are older and then go to college.

We have a lot of things that will take a good while to get up on ebay (DH's entire childhood collection of baseball cards, comics, action figures) and that is easily a years worth of work if not more.  His argument on socialization is more easily fixed but this is the one area where I need some help in making my case more stable.

I could do better at spending less so may be I could offer that as part of my case but I need something more long term that will help him see retirement in a more positive light.

DH does not know anyone else that has homeschooled and infact many of his family would be against it....

Any other ideas?

Replies

• kirbymom
    February 11, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Have you both sat down and talked about both the pros and cons from either side?  

You could write up a temporary schedule of what a typical day would look like when you would be homeschooling. 

• kiwimom74
    February 11, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Thanks... scheduling is not something he is worried about - when we pulled DD from public school last year and had her home for nearly 2 months he saw us on a schedule.... at that time because it was temporary he didn't voice his concerns.

Before I attempt again at discussing this I just need to have all ducks in a row.

Unfortunately DH doesn't just have a 9 - 5 job so even if I offered to work part time at nights or weekends at some point we would still have to pay for a sitter and around here the sitter would make more than me!!

• gacgbaker
    February 12, 2013 at 4:49 AM

What about creating a budget of your current spending and needs then creating one with you not working and not sending the kids to school- I know with me not working we save about $200 on groceries a month since I'm baking everything from scratch (breads, granola bars, all the snacks, sauces, yogurt- I make myself now to save some money)- so showing something like that in the budget and a plan for it might help him.  

Good luck!

• kiwimom74
    February 12, 2013 at 7:09 AM

thanks - he is the type of person that this might work for.....will start today.

• SusanTheWriter
    February 12, 2013 at 12:59 PM

There are a number of homeschool moms who work at home. They may telecommute to their old desk jobs, they have their own businesses, they freelance and offer their services on a contract basis, or use any number of avenues to make some extra money. I write and do some reading for a small publisher. I'm not prolific enough to help with the bills, but I pay for our homeschooling expenses as well as my writing expenses.

In addition to more strict budgeting, is there something you can offer to bring in money?

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 12, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Read this article about the Two Income Trap 

If I where you I would tell him that I think putting my children & their education first is more important to me then what I might do after they are grown because you don't even know what the future holds. I believe it is more important to live for now then 20 years from now!

• KrissyKC
    February 12, 2013 at 3:59 PM

My DH and I have kinda this thought/goal in mind...

For now... I stay at home, strive to earn small things like babysitting and odd jobs we can fit in our schedule, bother otherwise, he provides... even if he needs a second job once in a while.   I spend my efforts teaching and training the kids, tending the home, and putting my best foot forward on saving us money.

When the kids are old enough to watch themselves and do school once in a while... I want to get a more frequent income of some kind... part time work, writing, etc...   This money will be split in two directions and two directions only...  one half for helping the kid college stuff and one half for retirement.

As the kids begin leaving home or growing up, I will increase working and saving for retirement and helping the kids at college.

As long as we are healthy enough to work, we will be able to provide for our future just fine.  We have various insurances for other possibilities.

• kiwimom74
    February 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM

thank you..... DH has always been a diligent saver and just with him working we would be comfortable in retirement... but I guess he wants better than that... the flipside of me working is more being spent in tuition, no one being here for when the kids are sick and then of course full time care over the summer.....

LOL this is draining my brain!!!!

• KrissyKC
    February 12, 2013 at 4:18 PM

DH and I also get along better when I'm at home.   I love the man, but he'd rather not have to do housework, and if we were both working full time... you can COUNT on him doing housework!

Quoting kiwimom74:

thank you..... DH has always been a diligent saver and just with him working we would be comfortable in retirement... but I guess he wants better than that... the flipside of me working is more being spent in tuition, no one being here for when the kids are sick and then of course full time care over the summer.....

LOL this is draining my brain!!!!

Homeschooling Moms