mem82
What are you learning this week?
by mem82
February 10, 2013 at 6:21 PM

What's on the agenda this week, ladies?

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    February 10, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Math: We are going to wedge back and start from the beginning in Pre-A; I want her super solid before starting Algebra 1 next year since she'll be a younger algebra student.

Grammar: Prepositions. God help me - this child doesn't care for grammar, lol.

Science: continuing in our neurology book a la Ellen McHenry

History: more Puritans and their problems! Lol - American history.

Religion: Working on memorizing the Apostle's Creed (she's finding this difficult) and reading about/memorizing the sacraments.

Memory: she has memory work in each of the above subjects including some Great Words and latin verses.

Literature: she'll continue to read through her book The Hunger Games.

• rsrangel
    February 10, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I'm so over-tiredsleep.  I read the title as "what are you wearing this week"  LOL!  Anyway, I think we've decided to take the week off....even though that doesn't really exist since we'll be going to the library, beach, doing projects or whatever we feel like. 

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 10, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Reading, loving and learning but most of all just have fun.   Our big thing this week is our new science topic we are studying at co-op.  My kids are starting forensics and DNA unit.  I am signing my youngest up for music lessons.  My oldest decided to opt out.  My youngest is very excited.  First thing he did when I told him was pull out his keyboard and write down his favorite songs that he wanted to learn.  We just started a US history class with two other families.  Wednesday we are going to have the kids do a Boston Tea Party play and start the story of US dvd.   My 10 year old just got his new life of fred book.  I also picked up some geometry books for him.  He has been working with shapes, angles, and degrees during his free time.  My youngest has been teaching me to play Chess.  He is really good.  The only way I can beat him is if my husband helps me.  LOL    I am also working on my Geography art class that I am going to be teaching in March at co-op.  I had such a huge response that I had divide the class into two different groups.    Another big thing is my Karate class.   I have to work on my forms and splits this week and it is not easy.  I am also working on running.  I am not a runner and it is not coming easy for me.  I have be able to do a 8-15 minute mile by the end of the year.  

• Mommy4two
    February 10, 2013 at 9:14 PM

This is our VERY first week homeschooling :-) We're going to be studying about Valentines lol... 

For my 3rd grader - List of 15 spelling words related,vocab. words,going to do math,history of were Valentines orginated from and I'm looking for a cool science experiment to do... 

For my K, since she's developmentally delayed I'm trying to work between a pre-K level and K level with her... We'll be learning the letter "V" this week, doing counting with hearts and candy :-) and Valentine songs ...

I'm doing different arts and crafts, and food/snack themed things this week as well :-) 

• NYCitymomx3
    February 10, 2013 at 10:55 PM

6th grade ds:  

Grammar:  Compound & possessive nouns

Math:  Ratio, percent, & using the 4 functions with fractions

Social Studies:  Geography & culture of Africa

Science:  The scientific era of Isaac Newton (1600s to 1700s).

• Walnutgrovefarm
    February 10, 2013 at 10:56 PM

We[re staying on track this week, so we can have a shorter week next week. Finishing up a moon phase project and starting to read poetry from Robert Browning. Math, Lang., American History, Science, Vocab. Love the beginning of the week.

• jendawn1
    February 10, 2013 at 11:45 PM
    For my preschooler
    Letter: C tracing it, Sounds like.
    Number: 3 tracing it. Counting different objects in 3's. Patterns of 3's and then flash card partice to 50
    Shapes : heart (discuss valentines day)
    Practing cutting : magazines
    Art: making cat masks and valentines cards
    Reading ( going to the library )
    Computer time: abcya.com typing, starfall.com and then I'm going to find french games for her to learn and play this week
    Activities: puzzles, play dough , baking ( heart shaped cookies) , matching games, beads.
    Gym: yoga indoor and snow walks for out doors
  • BramblePatch
    February 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM
    We are on a Winter Break, at least from seatwork. My uncle is visiting for a few days. However, he wants to do the tourist thing so its a crash course in local history, lol....from Hemingways grave to the first chair lift in the US to dinnervwith a 60s british invasion musician....should be a fun week.
  • motheroffour186
    February 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Monday Wednesday Friday my 5th grade and 8th grader has foods class for breakfast. Today it was pancakes grilled cheese with bacon oatmeal chocolate milk.

Then we are working on learning styles for everyone

http://www.howtolearn.com/learning-styles-quiz

Math- finishing up working with measuring circles  then start on measuring heart for Valentine day

Social Studies,and Reading and Vocabulary - we are reading African American History books I take the vocabulary words from there. On Tuesday learn about President Lincoln. Thursday we are going to work on Valentine day.

Writing- great-great-grandparents (great-great aunties and uncles) asking them about their childhood and writing a papers about their childhood.

English (Language Arts) Commas 

Science finishing up Energy today read a book about Energy watch a movie on Wednesday unit then going to plants unit. Thursday we have a project

Increasing Heartrate

•·         Since Valentine's Day is symbolized by hearts, you can demonstrate to students how the heart rate can increase when they exercise. Each student will need a stopwatch and a paper towel tube to use when they listen to each other's heart rates.

Listen through the paper towel tube against a partner's chest for 10 seconds, counting the number of heartbeats you hear. Multiply that number by six to get the number of beats for one minute. Next, have your partner do jumping jacks for 30 seconds. Then, listen through the tube again for 10 seconds, counting the number of heartbeats. Multiply that number by six, then compare the two numbers. You will be able to see that exercise increases how quickly the heart pumps blood through the body.

Heart Water Bottle

•·         On Valentine's Day , you can demonstrate how blood pumps through the body by creating a heart water bottle. Fill a squeezable water bottle with water, then add about 20 drops of red food coloring. Insert a straw halfway into the water bottle opening, and use duct tape to seal the straw to the bottle. When you squeeze the water bottle, red water will come up through the straw, demonstrating how the heart pumps blood through arteries in the body.

Valentine's Flowers

•·         On Valentine's Day, students can turn any color flower into a red Valentine's Day flower. This activity works best with light-colored flowers like white or yellow. Cut off the bottom of the flower's stem. Fill a tall glass with water and add 20 drops of red food coloring. Insert the flower into the red water and leave it there for three days. The red food coloring will flow up through the stem and into the petals of the flower, changing its color to red.

For the preschoolers we are working on shape star number 5 letter X,x.

• motheroffour186
    February 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Math: We are going to wedge back and start from the beginning in Pre-A; I want her super solid before starting Algebra 1 next year since she'll be a younger algebra student.

Science: continuing in our neurology book a la Ellen McHenry

History: more Puritans and their problems! Lol - American history.

Religion: Working on memorizing the Apostle's Creed (she's finding this difficult) and reading about/memorizing the sacraments.

Memory: she has memory work in each of the above subjects including some Great Words and latin verses.

Literature: she'll continue to read through her book The Hunger Games.

please look up grammar rock and school house rock Prepositions. That is what helped them.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts