Homeschooling Moms

ElisabethCHale
What was the reason you decide on homeschooling?
February 9, 2013 at 9:31 PM

My son and I are very new to this homeschooling, like two days worth. He was enrolled in public school and older children were bullying him. He's in the first grade and these children were in the 3rd grade. I complained to the BOE and it seemed to have no affect on them. My son was crying and holding on to dear life as soon as we arrived to the school. I couldn't take it no more and that's when I decided to homeschool. I went to the BOE and talked to the attendence director. She tried to sway my decision by stating "first and second grade are crucial". I thought to myself "yeah so you want me to feed my child to the pack of wolves unprotected, I think not" After filing the notice of intent to homeschool, I'm free from the BOE.

So I was wondering, what was your reason you decide to homeschool?

Replies

• ElisabethCHale
    February 12, 2013 at 2:44 PM

On top of everything my son has ADHD and his birthday is in August so he was atleast 6 months younger than everyone in the classroom. I couldn't understand when the teacher would tell me one thing that he wasn't doing in school, but at home he grasps the concept very easily. For a year I fought my gut feeling to start home schooled.

I'm been doing it for not even a  week yet, and I love it!! I'm a nurse too, but I believe I missed my calling as a teacher.

• Kerseygeek
    February 12, 2013 at 5:46 PM
    Quoting Knightquester:

Thank you, this is extremely helpful. My son is the same way with reading. He's a sponge. These are great ideas & I will definitely look into them.
  • kirbymom
    February 12, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I think the majority of moms do not realize how well they can teach because society has talked about how someone with a degree is better for our children than we are. I beg to differ!  lol  Just look at this group alone. And i know that we are not the only ones either.  :)  

Quoting ElisabethCHale:

On top of everything my son has ADHD and his birthday is in August so he was atleast 6 months younger than everyone in the classroom. I couldn't understand when the teacher would tell me one thing that he wasn't doing in school, but at home he grasps the concept very easily. For a year I fought my gut feeling to start home schooled.

I'm been doing it for not even a  week yet, and I love it!! I'm a nurse too, but I believe I missed my calling as a teacher.

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    February 13, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Welcome to homeschooling!

My dd and I are nearing the end of our 6th year of homeschooling. She is a 4th grader.

It seems the list grows longer daily, as I hear reports from public schooled kids' moms; but my main reason I chose homeschooling was I wanted to do  it. That sounds simple. I guess it is! I had tried homeschooling my older children one year, but it was like an experiment gone wrong!  After thinking about what went wrong, I developed a plan. I decided to try it again with my 4-1/2yo. I thought that I could always send her to school if it didn't work out. Obviously, it has, because now we have plans to homeschool through high school.

I think key for us was to connect with a few other homeschoolers. It really helped my dd see that homeschooling is "normal". She had only seen her brothers going to school, so she didn't understand, at first, that homeschooling was a normal option, too. Imagine my Kindergartner asking when she would go to real school! Now, she doesn't even question it. She has friends, she likes our routine, and we love being together. She's have a big birthday party this Friday for her 10th birthday. Don't believe people when they say your child doesn't get to socialize. They do. Just seek out a homeschooling group in your area.

Back to the reasons, other reasons include: religion and values; academics, including concern over the "new" standards and testing; possibility of bullying; exposure to bad language, peer pressure, adult type subjects; and concern over her special needs and delays in speech and fine motor skills.

• Jami134
    by Jami134
    February 13, 2013 at 4:36 AM

Long story shortened, my daughter attended an expensive private school where there were some minor to moderate bullying issues (most of which did not involve my daughter in any way) of both the relational & physical aggression types.  My husband and I went to the school director (principal) who completely blew us off, saying there were no problems at the school and that all the children and teachers reporting said problems were mistaken, misinformed or lying.  We withdrew our daughter from the school and they sued us for breach of contract.  Because there were other factors involved (services promised in writing not rendered, etc,) we counter-sued.  After $5,000 & 3 hours of deposition by their lawyer (who I honestly believe is suffering from some form of dementia,) they dropped the lawsuit.  I intended to homeschool until our daughter was caught up on her school work (sometimes you DON'T get what you pay for,) but now, she LIKES home schooling and I've heard so many stories of bullying not being taken seriously or handled properly in schools that I don't think either one of us wants her back in formal school.  I don't know WHAT I'm going to do when she gets beyond what *I* know and am comfortable teaching. :-P   

• Uniquecoolio
    February 13, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    we started hsing after trying to fit my 2 square pegs into round holes for waaaaayyyyy too long. now we're all happy.

Homeschooling Moms