Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Iamme-Imamom
Wondering if I'm doing the right thing for my 4 yr old?
February 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Hi all. I've been doing preschool with my son at home since August. He was 3 when we started and liked it, but then he sort of fought me on certain times, but I kept up with it. We'd do arts & crafts, science, read books. We still do that & now he has started writing his name slowly.Which astonishes me since we really haven't worked on it. I just want to be making the right decisions for him. There have been a few telling me he needs to start preschool to interact with other children. I was also told that a 1 1/2 yr old is as smart as my son. This is the same person that praised me for what I was doing with him. My son plays well with a 9 yr old friend & he plays with his cousin. Other children he's a bit more reserved. Another thing is my son has a bone condition. He can fracture bones easily. If anyone watches the Middle show on ABC and knows about the boy that plays Matty, Atticus Schaffer that is what my son has (I have it also). So I just needed to share my frustrations & just let some things off my chest. Sorry for the ramble. Have a great day.

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    Do not let naysayers get you down, it sounds like you are doing great with him. Unfortunately there might always be jerks that want to butt in & tell you what is right for your son, you are the one that knows him & his needs & their opinions don't matter. (((HUGS))). You are not alone come here & vent as much as you need, we will always be here for moral support.
  • rsrangel
    February 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I agree with usmom3.  Don't let others get you down.  I've heard it all before regarding my kids and still hear it occasionally 3 years later.  Only YOU know what's best for your child, so make the decision you feel best about with no regrets.  We just decided we will not be putting our youngest in preschool this coming year (she's 4 also).  We haven't told our family yet and know they will have a cow when they find out.  They feel that since she is such a little social butterfly, she is better off going to school.  Let me tell you this...I've had 3 kids in preschool starting at age 4/5.  They do have fun playing with their friends, but they come home having learnt social skills, bad words, and negative behaviour we spend months trying to get rid of!!!  No thanks!  We'll get our social fix from family, friends, church and our homeschool group.  

• kirbymom
    February 9, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Awwww! Don't you worry one little bit about your son!!!!!!!  He is just fine!! I promise. All kids learn in spurts. They will learn when they are ready to learn academically, when they are ready to learn emotionally,  and basically, when they are just plain ready.

So who ever tells you that you * need * to do something more, first ask them if they are more worried about your son's education or his image? 

• coala
    by coala
    February 9, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Keep doing what you are doing!!!  I have been working with my DD who just started a K curriculum 4 weeks ago.  People had opinions at first.  My DD has a TON of friends and they are of ALL different ages.  Keep working with him and he will continue to progress at his own pace.

• Iamme-Imamom
    February 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    Thanks for all the support! :) I feel better & look forward to a week filled with Valentines things. Thanks again. So glad I became part of this group.
  • KickButtMama
    February 10, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Listen to your heart...not others! Most people criticism those that do things differently. Sounds like you're both doing great!

• KrissyKC
    February 10, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Stop listening to other people... that's my advice...  LOL, although that's probably an oxymoron of sorts...

If you want some advice, then look for it, but not everyone is right.   You look at your own kid and see what you think.   Are you happy with his development in academics, character, etc...???   That's the big need.

If you are always second guessing and don't have confidence, then your kids can grow up the same way.   Trust me... I feel that way about having been too nit picky and wishy washy with my first... she is very hesitant now, and I wish I wouldn't have done that to her.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts