Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
rsrangel
Apologia
February 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I like keeping a science curriculum on hand, even though we often do our own thing when it comes to science and history, but I'm curious about Apologia.  I keep hearing about how much so many people LOVE Apologia, from people here, other forums, and even local homeschoolers in our area.  If you are one of these people, please share.  What is it that everyone loves about it so much? 

Replies

• somuchlove4U
    February 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM
    I love it because it's Christian based. I also love the journals that go along with the text books. My daughter has enjoyed doing the activities in the journal.
  • swim-mom72
    February 8, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I love the content of the lower level books. My younger son has done their Astronomy, Anatomy & Phys. and Zoology 3....he would NEVER be offered that kind of science in public school. Not that I am recreating public school at home, at all, but I do us it as a point of reference to gage what my kids should be learning at each grade.

Also, I really like the conversational tone of the younger books. It makes it very easy and encaging for my son. Oddly enough, that is part of the reason why we went another direction for my older son. My oldest used Apologia for General science and Chemistry. And I switched him to BJU this year for 10 grade.

• rsrangel
    February 9, 2013 at 8:37 AM
    Is there a suggested order they should go in for the younger grades?

Quoting swim-mom72:

I love the content of the lower level books. My younger son has done their Astronomy, Anatomy & Phys. and Zoology 3....he would NEVER be offered that kind of science in public school. Not that I am recreating public school at home, at all, but I do us it as a point of reference to gage what my kids should be learning at each grade.

Also, I really like the conversational tone of the younger books. It makes it very easy and encaging for my son. Oddly enough, that is part of the reason why we went another direction for my older son. My oldest used Apologia for General science and Chemistry. And I switched him to BJU this year for 10 grade.

• TigerofMu
    February 9, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I love it because it is structured and organized, but has a lot of activities and ideas that you can add and play with.  There are tons of hands on activities and projects, but the actual reading and the science is there to reinforce.  I love the fact that it is a Christian curriculum and that they have done their homework and that it teaches my children how to stand up to the lies that they will be bombarded with in the world. 

We also get the notebooking journals, and I think they have great and fun activities, plus are a great organizational tool.  There is a basic plan in the notebooking journal that breaks the units down into 2 days a week and it's easy to tweak from there if you need to make any changes for your schedule.

It goes into a lot more depth than anything else I've seen, and offers the kids an opportunity to dig in and know for themselves.  In the Astronomy book it presents all the information about Pluto and the debate with whether it is a planet or not, and asks the kids what they think about it, and why it should or should not be considered a planet.

• TigerofMu
    February 9, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I will add that I do not buy it from the Apologia website, not because I don't like them or anything, but because it's a lot more expensive to purchase it straight from them, rather than catch sales at Mardel or check CBD.com (Christian Book Distributors).

• AutymsMommy
    February 9, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Ladies who have used this - how heavy is the "literal creation" in the elementary books? I'd like to use the Apologia anatomy book next year, but we aren't literal creationists and prefer secular science. I do not mind references to God (we are Catholic), but I'd like to side step and leave out any references to "young earth" - is that possible in this book?

• kittyfaery
    February 9, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    I have been wondering this too for the same reasons.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Ladies who have used this - how heavy is the "literal creation" in the elementary books? I'd like to use the Apologia anatomy book next year, but we aren't literal creationists and prefer secular science. I do not mind references to God (we are Catholic), but I'd like to side step and leave out any references to "young earth" - is that possible in this book?

• swim-mom72
    February 9, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Are you asking about the elementary books? They are written for grades K-6. But  IMO are a bit too hard for kinder and first graders and are more suited for 2-7 or even 8th.

On the Apologia site they have them listed in a "suggested" oreder: Astronomy, Botony, Zoo 1, Zoo 2, Zoo 3, and Anat & Phys. We did the Astronomy in 4th, and I wish we would have waited until 5th because he would have been a bit more mature and would have been able to enjoy it more I think. I think the Zoo 1, 2, and 3 should be the first books completed, followed by Astronomy, and then Botony and ending up with A&P (this was my ALL time fave science book of either of my boys).

Quoting rsrangel:

Is there a suggested order they should go in for the younger grades?

Quoting swim-mom72:

• swim-mom72
    February 9, 2013 at 5:15 PM

The A&P book would not be a good fit for you then. You would have to skip the entire first chapter, because there about 5 pages on "Creation Confirmation." And every single chapter references scripture and makes a biblical tie-in. With this particular book, the whole premise is that God created us, every inch of us, and therefore every bit of anything related to A&P is because of Him.

Has Gravitas Press released their A&P book yet? They publish the Real Science 4 Kids books. Those would be secular, and very well done.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

• AutymsMommy
    February 9, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Is the Creation Confirmation young earth in anyway or does it just talk of God making us (because that is fine)?

We've used RS4K in the past; far too light for my taste.

Quoting swim-mom72:

The A&P book would not be a good fit for you then. You would have to skip the entire first chapter, because there about 5 pages on "Creation Confirmation." And every single chapter references scripture and makes a biblical tie-in. With this particular book, the whole premise is that God created us, every inch of us, and therefore every bit of anything related to A&P is because of Him.

Has Gravitas Press released their A&P book yet? They publish the Real Science 4 Kids books. Those would be secular, and very well done.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN