Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
violetmarie
7th grader & spelling
February 8, 2013 at 12:54 PM

My dd has always struggled with her school work. She is in public school, wish I could pull her out, but won't happen this year for sure. Anyway we had a meeting this morning with her Special Ed teacher and we decided to pull her out of it since it seemed she wasn't getting any real help anyway, it was more of a study hall for her. What I am most concerned about is her reading & spelling.. I would say she is maybe at a 5th grade level... Can you suggest websites, games.. anything that I can do with her at home to help her improve?

Thanks!

Replies

• JKronrod
    February 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM

For spelling -- especially for my daughter who also has difficulty with spelling and is about the same age -- I swear by Adams-Gordon's Spelling Power.  It's expensive, but it covers virtually everything for spelling up through college level.  It's a 15 minutes a day program -- with activities to help cement the words and a rules-based approach.  If you are wanting to improve spelling, IMO that's the way to go.

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Here's a bump. You might want to try the Spectrum books for spelling. Start her on a low one and let her move quickly through what she knows, and then relearn what she missed.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 8, 2013 at 9:03 PM
    All about spelling has been awesome for us
  • motheroffour186
    February 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM
    I just have them look up the they do not know then word search
  • KrissyKC
    February 8, 2013 at 9:28 PM

My older two don't really have a spelling program... wow... maybe I'm dropping the ball...

anyway, I've heard good things about "All About Spelling"...

• No_Difference
    February 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM

we've been thoroughly enjoying all about spelling

• coala
    by coala
    February 8, 2013 at 10:10 PM

When it comes to spelling I have my children write their words 10 x's each.  When I realized how good my oldest was doing I let her choose a few more activities.  We do a word scramble and a word search w/o word banks.  You may need to use vacabulary words from her school books.  You can also play boggle and scrabble to help increase her spelling.  While playing let her have a ditctionary available so that she can check to see if she has been able to make a "real" word.  Good luck!!!

• crystalhend
    February 9, 2013 at 5:34 AM
    Maybe having her to learn where words come from how they are put together such as the Latin root words
  • kirbymom
    February 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Aww -  Krissy!, don't feel like that!!  You are NOT dropping the ball.  I don't have a spelling *program* either and my kids are all alright. Just like your kids. Not all kids are supposed to be perfect in everything. Are adults perfect at everything? Good golly, not a chance!   :) 

Quoting KrissyKC:

My older two don't really have a spelling program... wow... maybe I'm dropping the ball...

anyway, I've heard good things about "All About Spelling"...

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts