Homeschooling Moms

LilrockerMama
Frustrated
February 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM
My son is in 2nd grade. He's really good with math and knows adding and subtracting very well like a 2nd grader should. This morning he has one little addition paper and has the worse attitude and is like "how do I add" and this paper isn't near as complicated as others he has done. He does this all the time, plays "stupid" u could say... It's SO frustrating idk what to do with him sometimes. He's not doing it in his normal ornery way either he's doing it like he really doesn't know. Maybe I should switch subjects for right now or something? Anyone else have this issue sometimes? How do you fix it lol

Replies

• tracykelly79
    February 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I am having the same problem with my 6 year old. So, I hope you get some advice, so I can use it also.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    February 8, 2013 at 10:35 AM

good morning lil!!!

yea try doing another subject, or let him use objects to do the math page, and if you do that only let him use those objects during math lessons so he wont get bored of them! i went to the teacher supply store and found some fun objects for that reason and only let them use it during math

some times we gotta be sneaky!!

• LilrockerMama
    February 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM
    Sounds good, thank you!!

Quoting oredeb:

good morning lil!!!

yea try doing another subject, or let him use objects to do the math page, and if you do that only let him use those objects during math lessons so he wont get bored of them! i went to the teacher supply store and found some fun objects for that reason and only let them use it during math

some times we gotta be sneaky!!

• Silverkitty
    February 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM

When my daugter did that, I would give her something harder to do.  Sometimes they just get bored doing the same thing.

• KrissyKC
    February 8, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I've heard the idea that you let them earn days off and such for cooperating, too.

For example, every time they cooperate and get involved in math, you give them a fuzzball to put in a container, when he saves up so many fuzzballs (or buttons or toy cars or something)...

He gets to pick a subject to skip that day and during that subjects "time" (if you schedule your day) he would get to play, do video games, play outside, whatever was his choice or that you agreed he could do.

• TigerofMu
    February 8, 2013 at 12:00 PM

My daughter will do that.  She will have done the same thing 50 times, and one day she will just look at it and decide that she can't.  Unfortunately,  beyond the pep talk, if she doesn't snap out of it, I almost have to switch things up for her, because she just shuts down.

Homeschooling Moms