Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mommytobooger
What is your second grader learning?
February 8, 2013 at 9:40 AM
I make my own curriculum, so I was wondering what you are teaching your 7 year old? For science we are learning about the body, he picks a part and we learn, last week we learned about the brain. We went to a museum also, history this week he is learning about Amelia earheart,who she was, what she did, I am making him fact cards to go with this. He is learning about motzar for music, we do arts and crafts like 4 times a week, he creates all sorts of stuff, and he does his worksheets for spelling, reading comprehension, language arts, and science. We try to do a science experiment twice a week from a book we have also. He writes in a journal any topic he wants to, he also has a drawing journal, we read from a living green book a few times a week as well. We use living books when reading about history or inventors. He can pick his books he wants to read for free reading time, which usually consist of the magic tree house series or the bearinstien bears, curious goerge, etc. So what do you do? We also watch educational videos on topics we are studying.

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 8, 2013 at 9:43 AM
    Sounds about right. 8) we are working on stuff like you and things like graphing.
  • Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 8, 2013 at 9:07 PM
    We are on a different track than most, but right now, Roman numerals, the planets, fairy tales, baking, knitting, cooking, how to do laundry start to finish. In a week we will be working on addition/multiplication/subtraction and division.
  • Truebesos
    February 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM

We hit spelling, reading and math really hard here.  For math we are working on division and fractions and my DS is working on finishing the captain underpants series.  Science we are currently talking about dinosaurs because that is what interest him. We also work a lot of geography and globe/map work.

Overall, I think you have a well rounded curriculum!

• oahoah
    by oahoah
    February 10, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Birds, Eli Whitney and America's expansion in the 1800s, fractions, beginning archery, as well as lots of free reading time - he loves non-fiction and right now is studying a book about teeth!  We have Life and Planet Earth DVDs that we watch to correspond with our science (we've been watching the Birds movie lately).  We just finished a lesson on Vikings.  Writing is our weak area so I am letting him make Valentine's for co-op and Catechism kids (19 total) to count for writing. He has a co-op art class and we listen to a variety of classical music throughout the week. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN