Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
rsrangel
Life lessons instead of worksheets
February 7, 2013 at 5:30 PM
When I first started homeschooling, I separated home and school. Meaning I didn't grasp the simple fact that learning took place 24/7. Cooking, counting shells we collected at the beach and looking up what they were called out of curiosity. Adding and subtracting using the snack we are eating, reading street signs as we drive, or navigating the zoo map. Now I look at everything we do as a learning opportunity and besides handwriting, we don't even use a curriculum for kindergarten now and only partly for first grade. What is an example of how you have taught a school lesson through every day life activities instead of a worksheet?

Replies

• ColtsFan1912
    February 8, 2013 at 5:27 PM

My son LOVES worksheets & experiement so we combine both.  We do a lot of experiments. Like when he studied anatartica we made "icebergs" (froze water in balloons) & studied how they floated. We made "glacier"  (the same way), went outside them drug them in the dirt to see how they could move.  I find it so much fun.

& when I first started homeschooling I felt the same way. I thought it was all worksheets & sit down learning. We do a lot of that (my son enjoys it) but I've found how much fun it is to do hands on, which my son loves also. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN