Homeschooling Moms

norahsmommy
Thinking of homeschooling for a year
February 7, 2013 at 1:27 PM
My dd is in the second grade at a private school. Our state has the voucher program but dd is ineligible because the school didn't sign up the first year they had it when she was in first grade. The school said in order for her to be able to use the voucher we have to take her out for a full school year and then re-enroll her. It's confusing but that's where we are. Dh would like to home school her instead of putting her in a different school for the year.

I have 4 kids age 8,5,3 and 1. How many hours a day does homeschooling take and how expensive is it? We live in indiana. What steps do we need to take and where do I get a good curriculum? Any tips or suggestions? I want her to learn cursive ( she is starting and doing really well) and she needs alot of practice with reading and understanding what she's read. I do believe she is mildly dyslexic, the school hasn't tested her yet but they will be soon. She already has a friend that will be homeschooled next year for the same reason.

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 7, 2013 at 1:46 PM

For 2nd or 3rd grade, you really shouldn't need to do more than 3 hours. At a public school, a lot of the time is spent moving 30 to kids to the bathroom, to lunch, to recess, etc.

Homeschooling can be as cheap as you want it to be (make your own curriculum using free online resources and the library) or as expensive as you want it. 8) Do you want religion? Do you want foreign language?

• norahsmommy
    February 7, 2013 at 2:03 PM
    She is learning Spanish in school so I'd want her to continue with that. I want her to be on the same level as the rest of her class when she goes back to fourth grade. I'd have to get some religious instruction books as well. This whole school situation is horrible and she is so upset. She doesn't want to leave school but we cannot afford for her to go there unless she gets a voucher. It's breaking my heart. They have tuition assistance but its not affordable for us anymore. If she gets the voucher the school will end up getting more money than we would pay on tuition assistance so they want us to go for it. There are several kids in her class that are leaving to do the same.

Quoting mem82:

For 2nd or 3rd grade, you really shouldn't need to do more than 3 hours. At a public school, a lot of the time is spent moving 30 to kids to the bathroom, to lunch, to recess, etc.

Homeschooling can be as cheap as you want it to be (make your own curriculum using free online resources and the library) or as expensive as you want it. 8) Do you want religion? Do you want foreign language?

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 7, 2013 at 2:20 PM

That is very frustrating sounding. Have you called the actual place that does the voucher system and see if something can be worked out? Worse they can say is no.

Many private schools use A beka or Calvert as curriculum. Do those sound familiar? On the schools website they might mention what they use so you can buy it or a comparable option.

Also, ask the principal if they are willing to let your daughter participate in any of their activities. In many states, schools can choose to let homeschoolers participate, take one or two classes, join sports or go on field trips. The school might be willing to bend and let your daughter do gym class and music (or whatever) for free or a discount.

Quoting norahsmommy:

She is learning Spanish in school so I'd want her to continue with that. I want her to be on the same level as the rest of her class when she goes back to fourth grade. I'd have to get some religious instruction books as well. This whole school situation is horrible and she is so upset. She doesn't want to leave school but we cannot afford for her to go there unless she gets a voucher. It's breaking my heart. They have tuition assistance but its not affordable for us anymore. If she gets the voucher the school will end up getting more money than we would pay on tuition assistance so they want us to go for it. There are several kids in her class that are leaving to do the same.

Quoting mem82:

• norahsmommy
    February 7, 2013 at 2:26 PM
    I hadn't even thought of asking if they would let her participate in field trips and perhaps religion class. Thank you for the suggestion! I have a meeting with the principal coming up and that is something we will discuss.

I was looking at curriculums online and the Calvert curriculum seems similar to what they are doing now. I don't know if its what they are actually using.

I have only talked with the school about the voucher program and they said the state is thinking about changing some of the rules so that kids who were left out can be included but they haven't made any decisions yet.

Quoting mem82:

That is very frustrating sounding. Have you called the actual place that does the voucher system and see if something can be worked out? Worse they can say is no.

Many private schools use A beka or Calvert as curriculum. Do those sound familiar? On the schools website they might mention what they use so you can buy it or a comparable option.

Also, ask the principal if they are willing to let your daughter participate in any of their activities. In many states, schools can choose to let homeschoolers participate, take one or two classes, join sports or go on field trips. The school might be willing to bend and let your daughter do gym class and music (or whatever) for free or a discount.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting mem82:

• norahsmommy
    February 7, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    Bump
  • KrissyKC
    February 7, 2013 at 4:37 PM

What about setting up a meeting with the other parents in her school that are doing the same?   You guys could work together trying to keep the kids on track with the school and having some meet ups and field trips of your own so she doesn't feel she's missing much this year.

Sometimes it's all in how you present it...

"Hey, sweetheart!  Look, some of your friends are going to do the same thing as us!   We are planning bi-weekly field trips with them.  Isn't that awesome??"

• coala
    by coala
    February 7, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I just want to wish you guys luck!!!  Hey, who knows they may love what you will be doing next year and may not want to go back.  LOL

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    February 7, 2013 at 4:43 PM

only 1 year!!!!! awwww come on how bout 2.................!! hahahaha

hey krissy had a very good idea!!! between all of you, you could hire someone or maybe one of the moms to teach spanish to all the kids!

• norahsmommy
    February 8, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    Bump
  • wunderwifey
    February 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM

My concern with you wanting to taker her out for a year and put her back in, is if there will be a spot for her. I'd go into this thinking that HS may be for more than just 1 year. There's nothing wrong with wanting to put her back in the school later, but I know they have certain limitations with population, religious denominations etc.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts