Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
leighp1
Teaching styles
by leighp1
February 7, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Have you noticed that you start teaching one way and then you may go to a website that teaches another way?  We are doing Algebra and I was following this one website and we were doing great!!  Then I went to another website (earlier post about Educator.com) and they are teaching in a different order than the first website.  I worry that I am teaching it in the wrong order.  From what I can tell, we aren't behind really.  Example.  Right now we are working on Exponents (adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing them). Went to another website and it shows that they did graphing before the exponents.  We touched on graphing a while ago, but I don't think we had a real in depth lesson on it yet.  I am hoping that we are not going to run into a problem later on.  What are your thoughts? Do you find that some places teach in different areas first?  Is there a certain order that we should follow? I could just be a worry wart as well.  LOL

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    February 7, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I'm not familiar with the site you mentioned, but it isn't uncommon at all for homeschool curriculum to teach things in different order - there is no standard for homeschool specific curriculum. That one teaches in a different order than another doesn't mean that one is better or worse than the other, it just means that you will touch topics differently and in a different sequence. No worries!

• bluerooffarm
    February 7, 2013 at 8:21 AM

YES!  As the other post (Which do you teach first?) says, one program teaches the digraphs before the blends in our phonics curricula.  I was frustrated by this and wondered which was better.  I think it's just whatever works for your family.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    February 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM

yes ive noticed that also, but it doesnt worry me, they will get it all in the end!

• ArkinsMomma
    February 7, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Hi. I stumbled upon this site. You wight wan t to check it out : http://www.nestlearning.com/math_c1751.aspx :)

• wunderwifey
    February 7, 2013 at 4:47 PM
    I was actually thinking about teaching styles earlier today. Everyone puts emphasis on the childs learning style - which is definitely very important. But what about the mom's teaching style?
    I think my daughters could benefit from an unscholing approach. However, my husband and I need structure. We are both very disciplined (career military) people. The only way my husband handles his adhd is by coffee (lots of it) and discipline. If his day gets out of whack, no amount of coffee will fix it.
    The girls are both severe ADHD and I think to a point unschooling would be a good match. They do well with routine but the idea of being a little more free with the topic of study would appeal to them.
    So I don't mean to hijack your post, but in regards to your statement about teaching styles changing - how do y'all handle when the teaching style and learning style are so vastly different?
    If you would like me to make this a separate thread, I will, just let me know.
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    February 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM

heres a site with adult learning styles on it also!  http://www.homeschoolviews.com/quiz/quiz.html

Quoting wunderwifey:

I was actually thinking about teaching styles earlier today. Everyone puts emphasis on the childs learning style - which is definitely very important. But what about the mom's teaching style?
    I think my daughters could benefit from an unscholing approach. However, my husband and I need structure. We are both very disciplined (career military) people. The only way my husband handles his adhd is by coffee (lots of it) and discipline. If his day gets out of whack, no amount of coffee will fix it.
    The girls are both severe ADHD and I think to a point unschooling would be a good match. They do well with routine but the idea of being a little more free with the topic of study would appeal to them.
    So I don't mean to hijack your post, but in regards to your statement about teaching styles changing - how do y'all handle when the teaching style and learning style are so vastly different?
    If you would like me to make this a separate thread, I will, just let me know.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts