Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
ddjnn
mother of 6 considering cyber schooling?
by ddjnn
February 7, 2013 at 1:06 AM
We are going to be moving this month to a different county and I am seriously considering finishing the school year with a cyber school program for my children... I have looked into this before and I definitely love the programs but when I think of the reality of it I honestly don't know what to do? My children are 13, 9, 7, 5, 5, and 4. I would love to do this for the sake of my childrens education, we wish we did not have to move in the middle of the school year but we don't have a choice. My concerns are that I don't have enough patience, cyber school requires computers so thats 5 computers (space), and if I find a job scheduling may be an issue... I really want to do this because I think the schools where we are moving to are horrible!!! Please help me make a decision and quick, the deadline for this year is less than a week away, I have completed most of the application proccess.

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    February 7, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Remember that you will have 3 in the k-2 range which is the most labor intensive range in cyber schooling.  I have a 4, 5 and 7 yo and until I really got into the swing of it and realized I didn't have to do all of the activities, It took HOURS to get finished each day.  I'm dropping k12 for next year and doing it myself.

Some people love it, some hate it.  The amount of control you want is what seems to be the deciding factor for most.  I am a teacher and was very resentful of being cast in the role of "learning coach."  My first born is an auditory/ visual learner, so he thrived, but my middle boy is an auditory/ kinesthetic learner so he is floundering and there is not much I can do to change up the program to work for him.  He cannot sit at the computer for an hour class.  My 4yo is even farther on the kinesthetic side of things, so I know that next year would be a nightmare with him.

If you are okay with having a teacher oversee all the work, possibly having to schedule around the class connect sessions, not being in charge of the standards you are teaching, it can work well.  Many people feel safer having a teacher to oversee them, many kids LOVE the class connect sessions, and most people like not having to worry about the Standards and the hoops that some states make you jump through.

Welcome to the board!  There are many women here who love the cyber programs and can give you the positives. :-)

• KrissyKC
    February 7, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Some of your cyber schools don't allow them to transfer in this late in the year.   If you are thinking of K12, most of their virtual schools don't allow that.

If I were you, I'd consider looking into Time4learning.com for your prek and K kids.    Add in some writing practice (handwriting) and read alouds...

Focus on the older three and getting them established.

No, it won't take 5 computers, it might take 2-3 computers, though, and rotating them. 

As for the older kids, how hands on do you want to be?   They could do some time4learning too, and then add in the things you think that they need beyond that.

I don't 100% think time4learning.com is terrific, but we moved this year, I'm dealing with depression and diabetic issues, and I just had a baby this year....   So time4learning was my consistent supplement and guide that we went off of just because of all my own issues.

We added an english curriculum, some fun projects, extra curricular stuff, and we printed out the stuff they would be learning in time4learning for their sciences and social studies and then went to the library weekly and got out about 10 books on each of their topics and they got 15-20 minutes each day just reading and enjoying the topics.   We also did writing, typing, and journal.

It was fairly easy, but they still learned and advanced.  Is it the best??? no... but it worked for us this year.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    February 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM

do you homeschool ?

if not you could ask the school they are in for books? so they can continue with that school

where are you moving to?

• ddjnn
    by ddjnn
    February 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    I have started the application process and the only thing I need to do now is submit a few documents but my biggest concern is me being spread too thin! I am just concerned that we will end up completely overwhelmed!!! Any advice is welcome and greatly appreciated!
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    February 8, 2013 at 11:14 AM

let the kids help each other, write out a lesson plan so you know what your doing each day,

Quoting ddjnn:

I have started the application process and the only thing I need to do now is submit a few documents but my biggest concern is me being spread too thin! I am just concerned that we will end up completely overwhelmed!!! Any advice is welcome and greatly appreciated!

• Jinx-Troublex3
    February 8, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    I would lean toward doing HS myself or with the oldest three and homeschooling the younger three.

The 5,5, and 4 yo would be easy enough to teach together. Your oldest should be able to do most work independenly with some instruction and review. It would be the two in the middle that would take the most effort.

Quoting ddjnn:

We are going to be moving this month to a different county and I am seriously considering finishing the school year with a cyber school program for my children... I have looked into this before and I definitely love the programs but when I think of the reality of it I honestly don't know what to do? My children are 13, 9, 7, 5, 5, and 4. I would love to do this for the sake of my childrens education, we wish we did not have to move in the middle of the school year but we don't have a choice. My concerns are that I don't have enough patience, cyber school requires computers so thats 5 computers (space), and if I find a job scheduling may be an issue... I really want to do this because I think the schools where we are moving to are horrible!!! Please help me make a decision and quick, the deadline for this year is less than a week away, I have completed most of the application proccess.

• TigerofMu
    February 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I'm not a big fan of cyberschooling, though we do often use computers as a resource, so I don't know what to tell you, but you might look into a combination of schooling methods that meets the needs and interests of your family.  Make sure you check the rules for homeschooling where you are going.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts