Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mem82
How do you use Story of the World?
by mem82
February 6, 2013 at 2:27 PM

If there workbooks that go with it? I got the volume one from the library. I thought it would be more text book -like. So what do you all do?

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    February 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM

when we used it , we took turns reading it to each other

• gratefulgal
    February 6, 2013 at 8:34 PM

there's a activity book that goes with it. I recommend it b/c it has lots of maps in it. I also used Usborne's Encyclopedia of world history, several history-based look and finds, etc. We do projects and in certain chapters (such as on the Egyptians in Vol 1) you can pull so many other books into it. You could dream up alot of projects to go with each thing you're studying, or better yet get some books from the library. I do think the activity book is a plus, but you could get it used on Amazon, or a used book store, and it shouldn't be more than $10-15. Good luck! :)

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I've read through a little of it, now, and I can definately see how easy it would be to build other lessons out of it. 8)

I think I will look for the workbook and see what it has to offer, also. Thanks for the tips!

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM
    We read it, there is an activity book but we skipped it. Now we are listening to the CDs.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    February 7, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I wouldn't mind listening to these in the truck when we have places to go.

Quoting Boobah:

We read it, there is an activity book but we skipped it. Now we are listening to the CDs.

• swim-mom72
    February 7, 2013 at 3:24 PM

The activity book is where the real substance is. They list out a ton of literature, reference books, DVDs and more that go along with each chapter. Also, the recipes, maps and activities that go with every chapter were things we LOVED : )

There is a yahoo group for each volume, and they have TONS of free stuff from review questions to copy work to journal prompts. I suggest looking into that.

I got the reading lists from Sonlight when we did SOTW. And we did one book per year. Some people go through them quicker when they are just doing the books.

Oh, there are also test booklets that go with each volume, if you are interetsed.

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Thanks! I will check out all of this starting with the yahoo!group. 8)

How did you like SOTW?

Quoting swim-mom72:

The activity book is where the real substance is. They list out a ton of literature, reference books, DVDs and more that go along with each chapter. Also, the recipes, maps and activities that go with every chapter were things we LOVED : )

There is a yahoo group for each volume, and they have TONS of free stuff from review questions to copy work to journal prompts. I suggest looking into that.

I got the reading lists from Sonlight when we did SOTW. And we did one book per year. Some people go through them quicker when they are just doing the books.

Oh, there are also test booklets that go with each volume, if you are interetsed.

• swim-mom72
    February 7, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I loved it because it was not a traditional textbook : )  My kids loved it because it made history into a story, instead of boring and dry.

Quoting mem82:

Thanks! I will check out all of this starting with the yahoo!group. 8)

How did you like SOTW?

Quoting swim-mom72:

• ColtsFan1912
    February 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I was curious too. I'm looking at a curriculum package & it includes it. . .i've heard SO much good about it but was wondering how y'all used it :)

• ColtsFan1912
    February 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I also found this. It's a free lapbook that looks quite incredible to be honest.

http://runofthemillfamily.blogspot.com/2010/04/story-of-world-lapbook-for-volume-one.html

sorry not sure how to make it clicky :\

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts