Homeschooling Moms

MamaDearie
Science?
February 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Which of these science curricula do you prefer? Please feel free to elaborate below.
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 0% - Noeo
  2. 0% - Singapore/My Pals Are Here
  3. 7% - Real Science for Kids
  4. 0% - R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey
  5. 92% - Other (Please describe below)

Replies

• blueyedbaker
    February 6, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I've never used any of those. I've bought different package curriculum. Last year was through Calvert. This year it was from Harcourt. I have no idea what I will do for my girls next year...still gathering information.

• bluerooffarm
    February 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I'm going to use Van Cleave next year.

• kirbymom
    February 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Oh wow. I have never used a program for science. I wouldn't know a good one from a bad one. lol  We just write our own and do a project with it if we want to.  

• MamaDearie
    February 6, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I thought the Van Cleave books were designed more to do experiments without really getting into the 'meat' of the science. Like a supplement but not a full science curriculum. Am I confusing it with something else? (that is totally possible)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 6, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I have used everyone except for singapore.  I would say out of all of them I prefer noeo.  Their textbook was just them picking out books that fits the topic.  I now do my own science lessons.  I purchase books from amazon and use library books.  I also find experiments to go along with what we are studying.  Making your own science lessons is not hard.  It is also a lot more fun and cheaper.  I paid around $100 for noeo and it was basically just doing things I could research on my own.  

• bluerooffarm
    February 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    Yes it's all about experiments, but once you have experiments you can create your own objectives and assessments from there.

Quoting MamaDearie:

I thought the Van Cleave books were designed more to do experiments without really getting into the 'meat' of the science. Like a supplement but not a full science curriculum. Am I confusing it with something else? (that is totally possible)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• KrissyKC
    February 7, 2013 at 9:04 AM

We've always just went with whatever was at hand.    I want to try switching to Apologia next year.

Anyone use this?

• skeletor1017
    February 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I did the first year mistake and purchased a textbook. We're using the Scott Pearson Science Diamond Edition. It is super boring because all the fun interactive online stuff is for B&M schools only and not for HSers. So, I'm trying to find a good science curriculum for next year.

• Brooked18
    February 7, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    Apologia exploring creation
  • Brooked18
    February 7, 2013 at 12:27 PM
    We are doing botany right they have textbooks and journals my ds 7 do we are using the junior Journal

Quoting KrissyKC:

We've always just went with whatever was at hand.    I want to try switching to Apologia next year.

Anyone use this?

Homeschooling Moms