Homeschooling Moms

punky2
excited to join
by punky2
February 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM

hello, i am new to the group and looking into homeschooling my son this year coming school year kindergaden. any thoughts anyone can give my on there expierences would be great.

Replies

• amonkeymom
    February 6, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Welcome!  You'll get some great advice from the ladies here. :)

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 6, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Welcome to the group. Kindergarten is easy to do & can be done with very little expense.

• punky2
    by punky2
    February 6, 2013 at 3:46 PM

thank you

• punky2
    by punky2
    February 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM

open to any advice u have. i was looking at the free ones first like ecot and ohela but a little lost when it comes to making ur own cirriculm and who u have to go through with all that and the schools. ecot and ohdela help u with all that not sure what else there is.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Do you know the laws for your state? In some states children aren't required to attend school until 6 or 7 years old if that is the case in your state then you can homeschool how ever you want to until he is that age.

Quoting punky2:

open to any advice u have. i was looking at the free ones first like ecot and ohela but a little lost when it comes to making ur own cirriculm and who u have to go through with all that and the schools. ecot and ohdela help u with all that not sure what else there is.

• kirbymom
    February 6, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Hi punky. Welcome to the group!  :) 

Kindergarten is a fabulous time to start teaching your child. You can sing songs and play games and learn about textures through play and watch funny kid videos about colors!  This is the time where you start teaching them that learning is awesome and can be quite fun.  

What are some of the things that you have started doing with him?  

• romacox
    by romacox
    February 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Welcome.  Here is an article to get you started
    How To Home school (gives you the basics)

How To Home School (this one is more in depth)

• punky2
    by punky2
    February 6, 2013 at 5:13 PM

he well start kindergarden in the fall but right now. he does now his abcs and the sounds of letters, can count to 20 and recongize letters and numbers.  knows how to spell and read about 10 words so far.  can write his name knows his colors and shapes.  he is pretty smart i think proud mom can u tell lol

• punky2
    by punky2
    February 6, 2013 at 5:13 PM

thank you

• JuicyRedTomato
    February 6, 2013 at 6:52 PM

He sounds likes he's ahead of the game. He will be a great student. What state are you in? My son is 5 and we are half way through his kinder year. Basically, I have compiled a variety of different materials for his curriculum. Math-we started with Spectrum. However, he's already completed the entire plan so now I print off free worksheets or make my own based on what I feel he needs to practice. Phonics-We used Hooked on phonics and Bob books. My ds loved both and he is already reading at first grade level. Again, we completed that series and are moving up the ladder to the next set. Science-I don't use any type of structured curr. We do experiments and utilize any time outside to learn about nature, life cycles, solar energy, plants, etc. My son LOVES science. The best thing about science is that almost any lesson turns into an object lesson! Social studies-kinder is a breeze for this subject. Its focused largely on learning about traditions, customs, appreciating your place in the world, etc. Writing-we use lots of worksheets and practice, practice, practice. This was my son's least favorite subject but he has improved immensely! Health/Music/Art- Again, we learned more by doing than anything. My son takes piano lessons and we devote one day a week to crafts and art projects.

Whew! Okay, I think thats it. Haha! Good luck!!

Quoting punky2:

he well start kindergarden in the fall but right now. he does now his abcs and the sounds of letters, can count to 20 and recongize letters and numbers.  knows how to spell and read about 10 words so far.  can write his name knows his colors and shapes.  he is pretty smart i think proud mom can u tell lol

Homeschooling Moms