Homeschooling Moms

punky2
excited to join
by punky2
February 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM

hello, i am new to the group and looking into homeschooling my son this year coming school year kindergaden. any thoughts anyone can give my on there expierences would be great.

Replies

• punky2
    by punky2
    February 6, 2013 at 7:57 PM

we are in ohio.  u make it sound so easy hope it is. do u have to get an ok from the board of ed or how do u get ok'd for what u are doing that is where it confuses i guess.

• SuperMommy408
    February 6, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Welcome to the group!!

• JuicyRedTomato
    February 7, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I'm also in OH. You don't need to inform the school district until he is 6. At which point, you will send in an "intent to home-school" form to your local superintendent. Every subsequent year he will be either tested or have to provide a portfolio of his work to renew the status.

It's not always easy, but it is incredibly rewarding. Make sure you log attendance...you will have to track absences to ensure that there are 180 days of instruction. We school year round, so that gives us time to take breaks when necessary.

Also, I recommend writing down a little about each day's lesson. It really has helped me keep tabs on what he needs to review. :)

Hit me up with anymore questions!!

Quoting punky2:

we are in ohio.  u make it sound so easy hope it is. do u have to get an ok from the board of ed or how do u get ok'd for what u are doing that is where it confuses i guess.

• punky2
    by punky2
    February 7, 2013 at 12:10 PM

thank u so much this helps alot. i read a few things on line in ohio to see what the guidelines were and i swear it was like reading a legal document i was so confused. it made me back up and wonder if i could do this or not. thanks again it is really nice to hear from someone that already does it.

where about do u live in ohio?

• JuicyRedTomato
    February 7, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Southern, OH!

What about you?

It's really not as confusing as it might seem. Basically, you just need to inform them of your intent and prove that your child is meeting standards per your schooling. Honestly, it's not much different from the testing that he would be subject to at a PS. Don't be intimidated....just be organized!! :)

Quoting punky2:

thank u so much this helps alot. i read a few things on line in ohio to see what the guidelines were and i swear it was like reading a legal document i was so confused. it made me back up and wonder if i could do this or not. thanks again it is really nice to hear from someone that already does it.

where about do u live in ohio?

• punky2
    by punky2
    February 7, 2013 at 1:39 PM

akron/kent area is where we are.

i hope i can do it just haven't decided to do it as part of the federal schooling like ecot or on my own.

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Welcome!!

• punky2
    by punky2
    February 7, 2013 at 1:43 PM

thanks

• JuicyRedTomato
    February 7, 2013 at 6:07 PM

If you want my opinion, the federal/online school programs are too inflexible and I've heard a TON of people that really dislike them. Kinder is a really easy grade to teach. I think you will do great. You can get workbooks and use online learning games to help make it fun. At his age, it will be all about repetition and making it fun....you two will figure it  out together. At the beginning of this year I was SO nervous that we were doing enough and all the right things, but it's been better than I could have hoped for. We break our year by quarters (one for every 9 weeks and a separate one for the summer). At the beginning of each year I determine a rough guideline for our annual goals and then break that up per quarter as we go based on his progress. I jot down a little something every day as we keep track of our subjects. The schedule goes like this:

Mon-Fri- La/writing, phonics/reading, math,

Wed- Science

Thurs- Social studies

Fri- Art/Music

Throw in health unit studies combined with basic concepts and there ya go!

Summers are largely devoted to science and social studies since its a great time to explore outdoors and bring the study of the holidays full swing. Anything that you can do to make it fun will help. It doesn't have to be perfect, just fun!

We do craft weeks, geogrpahy weeks, solar system studies, safety week, etc. Over the course of each of those "units" we concentrate the curr. around a certain topic. My kids LOVEEEEE craft week. At the end of the week, we hang the crafts all over the house. They BEG for a repeat week.

Basically, you don't have to devote 10 hours a day to make it work. You can do it! I would take this first year and try it on your own, if it doesn't work...you can always change it.

Quoting punky2:

akron/kent area is where we are.

i hope i can do it just haven't decided to do it as part of the federal schooling like ecot or on my own.

Homeschooling Moms