Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
bluerooffarm
Which do you teach first?
February 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Which do you teach first blends or digraphs?

My Hooked n Phonics teaches blends first.... sl, cl, mp...

But the Phonics Works program (for k12) teaches the digraphs first.... sh, th, ch

Since Phonics Works isn't working, we started using HOP again; however, we have run into the problem of needing to test with the k12 program while using the HOP lessons.  Getting frustrated, so I hought I'd ask you which you do first.

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM

both LOL

• coala
    by coala
    February 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Our teaches blends but it is a consonant vowel blend before they move ontho the other things.

• kttycat84
    February 6, 2013 at 1:24 PM

We kind of skipped blends I guess. I taught her the sound each letter makes, then had her sound out words. I taught her digraphs as we came across them in books.

• BramblePatch
    February 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM
    Our curriculum does:

Short vowels
    Consonants
    Blends
    Double consonant endings
    Digraphs
    Long Vowels (where we are now....not sure what is next, lol)
  • bluerooffarm
    February 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Quoting BramblePatch:

Our curriculum does:

Short vowels
    Consonants
    Blends
    Double consonant endings
    Digraphs
    Long Vowels (where we are now....not sure what is next, lol)

That's the progression I used for my oldest!  Thanks

• kirbymom
    February 6, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I do a combination.  I start out with the short vowels and then the long vowels and will add the blends to both the short vowels and the long vowels. The I start in earnest teaching the blends and everything else.  That is just a base. Sometimes i have to mix it up a bit depending on the child. :) 

• starbeck96
    February 6, 2013 at 4:33 PM

We do a mix of both. 

Each week we have a blend of the week, a digraph of the week, and a special sound of the week.

My daughter has done really well learning this way.  We chose to do it this way because she really wants to read books other than the books in her curriculum.  So, I felt she would be able to read more by doing it this way. 

• KrissyKC
    February 6, 2013 at 6:00 PM

We use the k12 first grade phonics stuff...  My daughter used it when she was 5, and then we public schooled because we moved away from the area where K12 was free.

It worked REALLY well for her... and it has done excellently for my son as well...   I haven't started the next one on it, though, because she seems a little less academic than the others were at her age.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 6, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I just taught them to read and just let all that work itself out.  It really doesn't matter what you teach first.  Just follow their lead and make it fun.  Just be patient and realize every child learns on their own time table.

• bluerooffarm
    February 6, 2013 at 7:20 PM
    K12s program starts out teaching digraphs and seems to expects them to pick up blending by osmosis or something. Also never taught chunking. Garr. It worked well for my oldest, but not my middle.

Quoting KrissyKC:

We use the k12 first grade phonics stuff...  My daughter used it when she was 5, and then we public schooled because we moved away from the area where K12 was free.

It worked REALLY well for her... and it has done excellently for my son as well...   I haven't started the next one on it, though, because she seems a little less academic than the others were at her age.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN