Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
coala
A little advice might be helpful before I pull my hair out...
by coala
February 5, 2013 at 11:04 AM

My 4 yo is doing great with her studies.  She is learning cursive and our curric (ABeka) has them use a slant guide to help get that proper slant with the cursive.  Here are my concerns.  She holds her pencil in her right hand, but grips it and turns her hand like a left would, she slants her paper to the right (consistently--like a lefty would need it), but she writes, colors and eats right handed.

I have tried getting her to use her left hand, but she wants nothing to do with it.  Is this just a phase?  How do I encourage proper grip and formation for a righty if everything that she is doing is naturall a lefty?  Does any of this make sense?

Sorry I am really confused on what to do to help her to get it right.

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    February 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Has she had her eyes tested?  I am cross-dominant myopic and I did that for years!  I can't possibly be left-handed although I think I was meant to be (I cut left handed and shoot my bow left-handed) so you may see her use her left hand for odd things if she has this problem.

• coala
    by coala
    February 5, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I just tried to look that up....I couldn't find anything.  What is it?  I have a child that has a convergence disorder...similar to a lazy eye, but not a true lazy eye.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Has she had her eyes tested?  I am cross-dominant myopic and I did that for years!  I can't possibly be left-handed although I think I was meant to be (I cut left handed and shoot my bow left-handed) so you may see her use her left hand for odd things if she has this problem.

• bluerooffarm
    February 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM

It means I am right handed, but left eyed.  My left eye is the best eye, it's the one my brain sees with.  If you look at something in the distance and raise your thumb to cover it, then close one eye then the other (winking back and forth),  one of the eyes will still show the thumb covering the object, that is the dominant eye.  It's easier in an eye exam with kids that young because the eye doctor has them line up sets of lines, and most kids that young have a hard time winking both eyes. 

Quoting coala:

I just tried to look that up....I couldn't find anything.  What is it?  I have a child that has a convergence disorder...similar to a lazy eye, but not a true lazy eye.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• A_McCool
    February 5, 2013 at 11:33 AM

We discovered that our 6 year old daughter was cross dominant when she took up archery a couple of years ago.  Everything was high and left every time.  She now shoots with sunglasses with the right lens popped out so her left eye is covered.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• bluerooffarm
    February 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM

That's cool!  I was used to using left-handed scissors, so I just moved to a left-handed bow.  But it is a weak hand so it's harder to draw for me.

Quoting A_McCool:

We discovered that our 6 year old daughter was cross dominant when she took up archery a couple of years ago.  Everything was high and left every time.  She now shoots with sunglasses with the right lens popped out so her left eye is covered.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    February 5, 2013 at 4:57 PM

ohhhhh neat info, i teach a young man (15) who writes just like you described coala, and hes right handed, wow and what blue is saying, i'll test him like she suggests and see wht he is!

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 5, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Holy crappola! I just did this and my left eye is my strong eye and I'm right handed. Interesting!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

It means I am right handed, but left eyed.  My left eye is the best eye, it's the one my brain sees with.  If you look at something in the distance and raise your thumb to cover it, then close one eye then the other (winking back and forth),  one of the eyes will still show the thumb covering the object, that is the dominant eye.  It's easier in an eye exam with kids that young because the eye doctor has them line up sets of lines, and most kids that young have a hard time winking both eyes. 

Quoting coala:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• coala
    by coala
    February 5, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I tried this.  If I use my thumb to cover something in the distance I see 2 thumbs.  If I close an eye I can do it and wink back and forth.  My left shows it covered and the right doesn't....not sure what that means.

Quoting mem82:

Holy crappola! I just did this and my left eye is my strong eye and I'm right handed. Interesting!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting coala:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 5, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I would let her do it the way it feels right to her, I have been told to many stories of kids being forced to write "the right way" instead of their way & it ended up making the child frustrated & hating writing.

• coala
    by coala
    February 5, 2013 at 9:02 PM

I don't want to force her into something, but I want to make sure that she has a proper grasp (as in the pencil not laying down in her hand while she is writting) and that she can make her letters properly.  She is starting to form some of them properly which is a good thing, but the constant slant like a lefty concerns me (with her slant guide).  Her Dad said to just let her be and see what happens.  If we can't find something that works by the time her penmanship is actually being graded then will try to fix somethings.

Quoting usmom3:

I would let her do it the way it feels right to her, I have been told to many stories of kids being forced to write "the right way" instead of their way & it ended up making the child frustrated & hating writing.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN