Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
BramblePatch
Talk me out of (or into) Sonlight
February 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Everything keeps coming back to Sonlight Core A for next year. The kids will be 5 and 6 and I want to be able to combine them in some subjects. Sonlight seems the best way... We would skip the LA because we like our own, though. But there are so many bad reviews out there. What are your thoughts or experiences?

Replies

• Silverkitty
    February 4, 2013 at 11:35 PM

I'm in the same boat, but for my 7th grader, who will be 12.  I go in circle with Sonlight, Oak Meadow, and Calvert.  I want something all together, then I want to piece it together.  I am going to listen in for my son who will be 3 this coming fall and I'm looking at the P3/4 for him.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    February 5, 2013 at 10:44 AM

gee everyone that i know here in our state who uses or tried it loves it! i hear theres lots of reading, sometimes its hard to get the books, but if you have them before hand and everything ready should be a good curr!

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I've never used it so here is a bump!

• coala
    by coala
    February 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Here is a bump for you!!!  We were looking into it.   I think the reason that we opted out of it was b/c it wasn't accredited and you can't find out (on their website) what bible they are teaching from.  WE are very adamant about which one we are teaching from.

• maggiandmike
    February 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM
    I have no idea. My SIL uses it and she and my brother like it a lot. It's so expensive though!!! I chose My Father's World because I wanted more flexibility than Sonlight has.
  • swim-mom72
    February 5, 2013 at 11:34 AM

What aspects of Sonlight do you like? What parts of it do you think your kids will like?

We have used it, but not at that young of an age. And I ask because there are a few programs that are similar to Sonlight, but less intensive. IMO, using Sonlight "can" lead to homeschool burnout because it is A LOT of reading and many moms feel like they need to try and stick to the very heavy schedule within each core.

There are many great aspects to Sonlight, but maybe you could find those things in another, less rigid, program.

• BramblePatch
    February 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM
    Positives: My kids love to be read to or to read. They both learn best that way. They are not into a lot of hands on activities (as much as I try). The book choices appeal to me and I love the discussions about the books.

Worries: SO much reading and getting both kids to focus at the same time. I worry they will distract each other.

Quoting swim-mom72:

What aspects of Sonlight do you like? What parts of it do you think your kids will like?

We have used it, but not at that young of an age. And I ask because there are a few programs that are similar to Sonlight, but less intensive. IMO, using Sonlight "can" lead to homeschool burnout because it is A LOT of reading and many moms feel like they need to try and stick to the very heavy schedule within each core.

There are many great aspects to Sonlight, but maybe you could find those things in another, less rigid, program.

• Mommy2Phenley
    February 5, 2013 at 1:40 PM
    We're going with sonlight but we're just starting out so I can't really give feedback on upper cores. We loved p3/4. We just received p4/5 yesterday and DD and I are both excited about it. I can at least say they have awesome shipping!
  • rsrangel
    February 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM
    I've heard great things from those who use it, but its expensive for us.
  • swim-mom72
    February 5, 2013 at 2:02 PM

The key for helping them not distract eachother will be providing enough for each of them to do and engage their attention.

I have some other suggestions you may want to look into. Since you like the literature approach to learning and the unti study feel of Sonlight, but fear there may be too much reading, look into Five in a Row, KONOS, My Father's World and Heart of Dakota. Out of those, Five in a Row would be my favorite if I were doing it all over again : )

Quoting BramblePatch:

Positives: My kids love to be read to or to read. They both learn best that way. They are not into a lot of hands on activities (as much as I try). The book choices appeal to me and I love the discussions about the books.

Worries: SO much reading and getting both kids to focus at the same time. I worry they will distract each other.

Quoting swim-mom72:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN