Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
SalemWitchChild
Working moms & K12/HS ?
February 4, 2013 at 2:20 PM

All fingers, toes and limbs crossed ladies. I have an interview for a circuit clerk position this wednesday! Do any mama's work and how does K12 or HS fit into your schedule? The kids would have to go to a sitter during the day. I wish I could leave DD home but she's only 11 and I don't think she (nor I) would be comfortable with that. I feel like she's too old for a sitter but too young to be by herself. kwim?

Replies

• gacgbaker
    February 4, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Best of luck with the interview!

• kirbymom
    February 4, 2013 at 3:58 PM

That is awesome about your interview! I hope it works out for you and your family. :)   Don't worry about anything else until you know how the interview gord. 

• coala
    by coala
    February 4, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I think if you do the prep the night before and she takes a laptop with her to the sitters you can make it through.  Otherwise I would try leaving her for a half a day at home and checking on her.  Let her know that you will be checking to make sure that she has completed what you have left for her and make sure that her grades don't slip.  If they offered something like this when I was a kid it would have been a great option for my Mom and I with all of my health problems.  Just thiink it over and talk it over with her.

Good luck with your interview!!

• SalemWitchChild
    February 4, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I'm thinking about letting her stay home if I can find a neighbor willing to look in on her. DS will still go to a sitter though.

Quoting coala:

I think if you do the prep the night before and she takes a laptop with her to the sitters you can make it through.  Otherwise I would try leaving her for a half a day at home and checking on her.  Let her know that you will be checking to make sure that she has completed what you have left for her and make sure that her grades don't slip.  If they offered something like this when I was a kid it would have been a great option for my Mom and I with all of my health problems.  Just thiink it over and talk it over with her.

• coala
    by coala
    February 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM

That sounds like it could potentially work.  Your LO is young and I certainly don't think that she could handle her work and keep an eye on her brother.  Seems like it would be to much for her.  I hope it all works out for you guys.

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

I'm thinking about letting her stay home if I can find a neighbor willing to look in on her. DS will still go to a sitter though.

Quoting coala:

• cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    February 4, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    I work at least 56 hours a week and we're using k12. My ex, brother, and sister all help with getting school work done.
  • QueenCreole313
    February 4, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Hey! I work full-time, single mom here and we homeschool. (Message me whenever you want). I've had to change our schedule around a bit to make it work for us. I give my son Monday and Friday off (simply because these are my busiest work days and I don't want to give him any less than our best).

Monday night we review his assignments for the week.

Every morning I write his assignments on a note card. He can do them whenever he wants. It's usually a mix of computer work (Khan Academy/Time4Learning & Workbooks). I try to mix it up to keep him interested. Each night I check his work. If he doesn't understand something, I tell him to wait for me at night and we will go over it. Then, I will assign practice work for the concept the rest of the week until he masters it. Saturdays & Sundays we do homeschool and are usually done by 2pm. I sit with him the entire time and watch him as I read. I can tell by watching him what he struggles with. I also call him during the day to see if he has questions about any of his work.

It has really taught my son to be an independent worker. Oh, my son is 10 and stays with my Dad who is retired during the day. Dad is simply there to make sure he doesn't kill himself. I still handle all the homeschool work/questions.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

• mom2Bellarose
    February 4, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I have a friend that works and does K12. It's been rough on her but then again she works 12 hour days and is a single parent. I feel for her because it's rough sometimes and I'm a SAHM. Good luck with the interview!!

• LoriAlane8
    February 10, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Maybe you could find a "sitter" who would just be there if she needs a bit of help with her school but hopfully she can work well on her own and then you can follow up in the evenings. When my children were younger they went to a sitter 2 mornings a week. The sitter would help them with limited things I had them take with them. They loved having someone else besides mom help them from time to time. Also, another idea, my sister who is school 2 of her younger children at home this year also has an older child come over during the day. This child heps her with the 2 younger ones and also does some household chores to help her out. This is all in exchange for "babysitting" the older child. Maybe you could find a person who would be willing to barter that way with you and your daughter? Good luck!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts