Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
kirbymom
What subject are you ......
February 2, 2013 at 4:59 PM

concentrating on right now in your schooling time?  Is it Math? English?  Art?  

What are the highlights you are teaching?  How in depth do you make your lessons?  

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    February 2, 2013 at 5:08 PM

With my 2 younger boys we are concentrating on phonics.  Levi's Phonis Works was not teaching chunking, so we've gone back to the beginning and started Hooked On Phonics.  He read his first ever book to his daddy last night!

My oldest really wants to learn multiplication, so we've been working with skip counting by 2s, 5s and 10s.  We've been creating arrays and using multiplication to double our recipes.   

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 2, 2013 at 5:10 PM
    We just started our math block
  • kirbymom
    February 2, 2013 at 5:23 PM

That is Awesome!  Next time, video it so daddy and son can see how great the experience really is.  :)  

I love multiplication!  My youngest that is in school just got done learning the 12-10's. I thought it would take him some time to learn them but oh my goodness. He went through them like a newborn goes through diapers!  I have had to start teaching him triple column math just to keep him going. I wished I could have learned like my kids do. Of course, i didn't have all teachers teach me the way dad and I teach our kids, so there is that reason I wasn't as great a learner.  Yes, I am grasping at straws, but so what?  lol  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

With my 2 younger boys we are concentrating on phonics.  Levi's Phonis Works was not teaching chunking, so we've gone back to the beginning and started Hooked On Phonics.  He read his first ever book to his daddy last night!

My oldest really wants to learn multiplication, so we've been working with skip counting by 2s, 5s and 10s.  We've been creating arrays and using multiplication to double our recipes.   

• kirbymom
    February 2, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Do yours like learning math?  How difficult is it for you?  I have a few easy ones but I also have 1 that sometimes seems to not ever be able to get it.  

Quoting Boobah:

• bluerooffarm
    February 2, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Great idea!

It is wonderful to see how they can learn!  My boys surprise me almost every single day!  Zave was really quick at picking up the foundations, which I don't think I got so quickly either.

Quoting kirbymom:

That is Awesome!  Next time, video it so daddy and son can see how great the experience really is.  :)  

I love multiplication!  My youngest that is in school just got done learning the 12-10's. I thought it would take him some time to learn them but oh my goodness. He went through them like a newborn goes through diapers!  I have had to start teaching him triple column math just to keep him going. I wished I could have learned like my kids do. Of course, i didn't have all teachers teach me the way dad and I teach our kids, so there is that reason I wasn't as great a learner.  Yes, I am grasping at straws, but so what?  lol  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• Mommy2Phenley
    February 2, 2013 at 6:07 PM
    Reading lessons. We're using hooked on phonics mostly. She's 4 and has been dying to read for 2 years. Blending finally clicked and she's taken off. Everything else we do a few times a week but we're doing reading every day, including weekends.
  • No_Difference
    February 2, 2013 at 6:12 PM

with my oldest:  we're working on the middle ages in history (we'll be building a castle soon out of the endless supply of cardboard I've been saving specificially for this project for a year FINALLY! lol), multiplication in math, and we're half way through our physics chunk. I think our main focus for the month is going to turn out to be history. Lots of fun projects are scheduled for this month it seems and we're ahead in everything else :)
    with my youngest: we're working on counting, writing numbers, and learning to read.  Math takes him seconds and told me, "It's so easy a Kindergartener can do this!" (he's 3!!! lol) We're taking reading slow. It's always fun seeing him sit down when we're done with his reading "school time" and him trying to make his own words to sound out.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 2, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    She loves math, especially with the Waldorf style (so far). She is fairly good at it, but other times not so much.

Quoting kirbymom:

Do yours like learning math?  How difficult is it for you?  I have a few easy ones but I also have 1 that sometimes seems to not ever be able to get it.  

Quoting Boobah:

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 2, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Whatever they are interested in.  Right now they are interested in Science, Math, History and writing.  My oldest just started his own blog and is loving it.  My youngest hates writing more than a couple of sentences but he just got inspired to write comic books.  It was through our writing class at co-op that he got interested in comic books.  I am starting a US history class with a couple of families.  We will be starting with George Washington and plan on studying US history in the context on the Constitution.  We plan on reading some biographies, George Washington's socks, and the scrambled states of the US.  Mostly we will be reading books, doing lap books, field trips, and playing games.  I think they will really enjoy it.  For history we are studying about China and working on our Great Wall of China.  My youngest has a project going on of building all his spelling words using legos.  I am working on some things right now as well.  I am reading biographies on beethoven and Antoine Lavoisier.  As soon as I find one I plan on reading some books on Imhotep.

• AutymsMommy
    February 2, 2013 at 9:40 PM

We learn every subject, daily. Right now those subjects are math, english (grammar, writing, literature), history, science, and religion.

These are our concentrations right now in each subject:

Math - prealgebra

English - outlines, prepositions, and The Hunger Games

History - American history (the puritans right now)

Science - neurology

Religion - the old testament

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts