Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
rsrangel
humiliation
February 2, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Just curious. Humiliation as a form of punishment? Yay or nay?

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    February 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM

nay

• SusanTheWriter
    February 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM

No. Breaking a child's spirit only teaches them to distrust you, to keep all their pain inside, and hide their mistakes. Eventually, all that pain poisons them.

Expressing disappointment in private may still hurt them, but that comes from a loving desire to see them grow into better people.

• blueyedbaker
    February 2, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Uh no.

• No_Difference
    February 2, 2013 at 1:23 PM

For many things, I would tend to say no....but I can see times where it could be useful... like the parents who had their kid stand at a busy corner with a sign announcing their stupidity on facebook... I remember a time when a kid in school was acting out and no matter how many times they were given warnings or detention, nothing worked, so their parents came in and were doing a whole bunch of crazy things that down right humiliated the kid. He never wanted his parents to come to school again and thus never acted out again...  I myself have never humiliated my kids for punishment tho, but we also haven't hit teen years, and I have no problem acting like an idiot in front of their friends if it'll get the point across....

*to be clear tho- I do not agree with the type of humiliation that would reduce a child's self respect - that's cruel. But humiliation to dent an ego, that's a different story....and I would like to believe in the instance I have above, that was all that was truly accomplished...

• Mommy4two
    February 2, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I say no, but I have embarrassed Tristan on purpose before... I've told him don't try to embarrass me bc I promise you'll be the one embarrassed and he found out he was... I will NOT put up with being disrespected at all but especially in public, if you choose to disobey me then you have consequences that are going to follow... Thankfully that's only happened ever like twice... 

• mrs.miller89
    February 2, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I think of embarrassment and humiliation as two different things. Embarrassing is one thing, it may annoy the person and cause short term shame but isn't long lasting or as damaging as humiliation. Humiliation is more permanent. Embarrassment I will probably use, humiliation, no.

Quoting Mommy4two:

I say no, but I have embarrassed Tristan on purpose before... I've told him don't try to embarrass me bc I promise you'll be the one embarrassed and he found out he was... I will NOT put up with being disrespected at all but especially in public, if you choose to disobey me then you have consequences that are going to follow... Thankfully that's only happened ever like twice... 

• JTE11
    by JTE11
    February 2, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Going to have to say nay.

• Mommy4two
    February 2, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I honestly would have no problem sticking my kid on street corner wearing a sign around his/her neck if they kept doing something they know they shouldn't be doing or if it's illegal (i.e stealing) ... I hope I never have to worry about this but I rather you be humilated in that since and knock some common sense into you vs. you having a rap sheet... 

Quoting mrs.miller89:

I think of embarrassment and humiliation as two different things. Embarrassing is one thing, it may annoy the person and cause short term shame but isn't long lasting or as damaging as humiliation. Humiliation is more permanent. Embarrassment I will probably use, humiliation, no.

Quoting Mommy4two:

• bren_darlene
    February 2, 2013 at 3:14 PM

NO !!  Who would do that intentionally ?

• kirbymom
    February 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM

This, I agree with.  

Quoting No_Difference:

For many things, I would tend to say no....but I can see times where it could be useful... like the parents who had their kid stand at a busy corner with a sign announcing their stupidity on facebook... I remember a time when a kid in school was acting out and no matter how many times they were given warnings or detention, nothing worked, so their parents came in and were doing a whole bunch of crazy things that down right humiliated the kid. He never wanted his parents to come to school again and thus never acted out again...  I myself have never humiliated my kids for punishment tho, but we also haven't hit teen years, and I have no problem acting like an idiot in front of their friends if it'll get the point across....

*to be clear tho- I do not agree with the type of humiliation that would reduce a child's self respect - that's cruel. But humiliation to dent an ego, that's a different story....and I would like to believe in the instance I have above, that was all that was truly accomplished...

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts