Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
tiredmomfor2
Finally figured out Spelling!
February 1, 2013 at 5:26 PM
My son..has not been the typical learner. Phonics was an issue. We had to find a way around it. He is finally reading well! Yay!
Then we moved on to writing and spelling. Of course he had issues learning to write and spell the typical way. Lol so we backed off and then tried a few different things.
Well we finally figured it out! Eep!
It is very eclectic and kind of unconventional. It is working!
I guess I should get used to doing things out of the box. At least it is cheaper this way! Haha

Replies

• irvinehiker
    February 1, 2013 at 5:41 PM
    So happy you found something that worked! My dd struggled with spelling forever. We bought a scrabble game. We play a couple times a week.......problem solved :)
  • kirbymom
    February 1, 2013 at 5:42 PM

LOL ~ So happy for you guys.  :)    Thinking outside the box is such a great way to learn. 

• Jody59
    by Jody59
    February 1, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Good for you!!  We realized that one of the reasons our kids did not like to write was that they did not like correcting all the miss spellings. So we told them that if they put SP above  a word and it was misspelled we would write in the correct spelling, if it was Ok we just put a check on the SP.  They then had to write the word correctly five times, to practice.

This freed them up to write more and no, they did not put SP over every word.

Jody

Check Out The Writing Course

• tiredmomfor2
    February 1, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    This is similar to what we are doing.
    I have a list of high frequency words/spelling words that we read from daily. He is obviously much farther ahead in the reading than the spelling.
    We go 8 words at a time. I say them and he writes it. After the 8 words are finished. I check his work. Any misspelled words get rewritten 3 times. As well as any incorrectly written letters. (He is still struggling with some of those) then he turns over his paper and I ask the incorrect ones again.
    The next day we start with the misspelled ones from the day before. If he gets them correct we move to the next 8 words. If he gets some wrong. We start the process over again. (Write three times etc.) We don't move on until he has them all.
    It only takes 15-20 minutes tops each day..and he is actually learning them! So excited!

Quoting Jody59:

Good for you!!  We realized that one of the reasons our kids did not like to write was that they did not like correcting all the miss spellings. So we told them that if they put SP above  a word and it was misspelled we would write in the correct spelling, if it was Ok we just put a check on the SP.  They then had to write the word correctly five times, to practice.

This freed them up to write more and no, they did not put SP over every word.

Jody

Check Out The Writing Course

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 2, 2013 at 7:17 AM
    Yay!
  • blueyedbaker
    February 2, 2013 at 1:42 PM

That's great that you are figuring out how to teach him! That's one of the reasons I like HS. I don't think they would do all that in PS.

• tiredmomfor2
    February 2, 2013 at 4:46 PM
    Yes. I agree. I really truly believe that he would have been one to fall through the cracks of the school system. Or he would have been labeled with some odd reading/attention issue. When all he needed was some time and a different approach. :)

Quoting blueyedbaker:

That's great that you are figuring out how to teach him! That's one of the reasons I like HS. I don't think they would do all that in PS.

• motheroffour186
    February 2, 2013 at 9:25 PM
    We did leapfrog

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts