Homeschooling Moms

rsrangel
Birthdays
February 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM

How do you celebrate your child(ren)s birthdays?  Hugh party, small party, no party, take them somewhere, nothing, etc?

Replies

• No_Difference
    February 1, 2013 at 4:38 PM

It depends. I try to do a little get together with the neighbors for my little guy's birthday, but the families with kids his age are all moving...so we'll probably not do much until he's older and then we'll probably take him places. With my daughter....Usually we move around her birthday lol. Poor kid. We surprise her with doing her room different for her (she gives us an idea of what she's after) and she gets sent off (along with Little Guy) to either my parents or hubby's parents...a few times she was taken to Florida while we moved, and she'd come home to that surprise. It seems she's either at my parent's or hubby's parents during her birthdays but there has been a few times we've been home and threw a party for her with her friends and a few were able to sleep over. I think we'll be home this year (for once) and try to do something...but it'll be mid swim season so we'll have to see where her birthday falls and how crazy the schedule is lol. It'd be fun to do a pool party but that is almost too long at the pool LOL

• Jinx-Troublex3
    February 1, 2013 at 5:11 PM

It depends on the child and what they want - we try to do soemthing nice. Some years it may be just going out to dinner as a family, other years it may be bigger.I NEVER did big group kid parties, never bowling, ,or Chuch E cheese or anything like that - BLAH! They never get quality time with the other kids, for that we could go to the park.  If anything it would be 2-3 friends over for pizza and a movie. Something simple.

Now that they are older, we are going bigger...

Last year DS1 and I had a karate tournament in san Diego the day before DD's birthday so we went to Sea World and got her a "dolphin Encounter" where you can pet, feed and "train" the dolphins. It was WAY COOL! Needless to say, that was somewhat costly for 4 of us to go. This year we will just go out to dinner for her.

Wednesday was my oldest DS's 15th birthday - last year we just went out to dinner, so this year we got him and a friend, tickets to an Anime convention in Las Vegas - it's not until April but with food, hotel, it will be his big birthday for the next couple years.

Ds2 got a really expensive racing bike last Christmas - so that was kind of his chirstmas/bday gift. we only went out to dinner for his Bday.  This year, I will probably do more since he is turning 13 and that's a biggie - a teenager! LOL

ETA: I do NOT buy them lots of extras, gifts, trinkets, treats, etc. throughout the year. We are on a really tight budget so doing something big for a birthday is a planned and budgeted BIG DEAL for my kids.  It isn't a "lets see if we can out-do the Jones's thing at all.

• mamamedic69
    February 1, 2013 at 5:23 PM
    My dd is still young but last year was the first of anything we did big. We took her to have breakfast with Minnie Mouse and a weekend at Disney. We usually have just a small party/dinner with family. That'll probably change as she gets older.
  • faeriemom1972
    February 1, 2013 at 5:24 PM

We do a fun day of his choosing. When my daughter was little, we would go away for mother daughter weekends. 

• kirbymom
    February 1, 2013 at 5:45 PM

We try to have at least a cake and a special nite where they eat a dinner and watch a movie of their choice. Dad is a chef of sorts and can cook/bake just about anything.  So he is the one who does the homemade cake and homemade dinner.  :)  

• kirbymom
    February 1, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Oh and since we have 7 kids' birthdays to celebrate and 2 adults, there is always something happening throughout the year.  

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    February 1, 2013 at 7:12 PM

we would always go to the park and have a birthday party, invite there friends, and families, play baseball, or volleyball,. eat cake or pie, sometimes a bbq, and lots of presents!!!

i also took the birthday child out to lunch that week

• Mommy4two
    February 2, 2013 at 12:34 AM

I will admit I'm BIG on Birthdays every year... I think a lot of it has to do with my mother jipped me of my birthday parties quite a few years just bc she felt like she could ... Oh an both kids are born in November my son was actually born on Thanksgiving Day.... I love to be as creative as possible and see how "Big" I can go and see how little I can spend lol... This last Nov. was the first year I didn't do a party for them my best friend and I took each kid out for their own special "date" with just us while someone else watched the other child for us.... 

I took Grace to meet Cinderella, we had dinner at the 1900 Park Fare in the Grand Floridian Hotel... She got to meet Prince Charming,Cinderella,the step sisters, and step mother and I spent WAY more than I ever planned on lol... I walked into Walmart the day I was taking her out and thank God she is as naive as I was a child lol bc I bought her a cinderella outfit,dvd,crown,baby doll,and balloon with her standing next to me ... I SOOO don't see me getting away with that next year lol... well I STILL hear about it 3 months later :-) So I'm having a feeling Disney World is going to be on our list for this year... I was debating on taking the kids on a cruise in November, my son has been begging me to go on one since 09' when my exhusband and I went on one and I found some really awesome tickets for that time of year...

I had taken Tristan to Wonder Works and we did the Magic Dinner show which was cool bc he got to go up on stage :-) 

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 2, 2013 at 7:15 AM
    Family party at home, couple neighbor friends. We have a huge family, so it is still bigger than I'd like. I have finally started cutting out food and doing jut cake. I cannot afford to feed that many people 5 times a year. Lol
  • blueyedbaker
    February 2, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Up to the age of 5 we had big parties with family and friends. They always picked a theme. I went a little over board sometimes but we all had a great time. Then when they turned 6 and from then on they just had "friends" parties. They invite up to 9 friends (10 kids total). We do a theme and do food and games. It's still fun we just don't have 100 people over now. 

Homeschooling Moms