Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Channell07
I feel like I am going to close my eyes and choose
January 31, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I am having the hardest time deciding on a phonics program for my kids next year.  I have been using Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy lessons with ds but he literally skipped ahead into lesson 30-31 in the first week and we basically only read the words he doesn't know and the stories.  I have started DD on it and she is on lesson 8-9 and is seeming to hate it.  She needs a bit more direction than he did so I have been doing the whole program with her and we are both bored to tears.  I've decided to order a program for each of them this year.  DD will be Kinder and DS 1st.  I have been between McRuffy and All about reading since last year when I gave up and decided to try TYCTR in 100.  I find excellent reviews and people who love both but I just can't seem to make a decision! It's driving me nuts! LOL

Replies

• BraydensMama163
    January 31, 2013 at 10:54 PM
    Livinglifeintentionally has a curriculum for 10 dollars. Reading the easy way part 2. Its for kids 3-7
  • Channell07
    January 31, 2013 at 11:05 PM

AHHHHHH another option! LOL.. Thanks I will look into it!

Quoting BraydensMama163:

Livinglifeintentionally has a curriculum for 10 dollars. Reading the easy way part 2. Its for kids 3-7

• BraydensMama163
    January 31, 2013 at 11:13 PM
    No problem. I suggest checking out her blog in detail. She offers tons of free printables and links to.other blogs with great stuff. She also does 5 in a row. Which we are starting next year with my kids.

Quoting Channell07:

Quoting BraydensMama163:

• BramblePatch
    January 31, 2013 at 11:16 PM
    I swear by Adventures in Phonics :)
  • Channell07
    January 31, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I thought of FIAR also but searched their books on my library site and they didn't have many of them and neither did the surrounding libraries.  I already have 8 bulging bookshelves in my house and my kids are only Prek and K right now so....lol

Quoting BraydensMama163:

No problem. I suggest checking out her blog in detail. She offers tons of free printables and links to.other blogs with great stuff. She also does 5 in a row. Which we are starting next year with my kids.

Quoting Channell07:

Quoting BraydensMama163:

• romacox
    by romacox
    February 1, 2013 at 9:28 AM
  • Channell07
    February 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM

That's interesting.. DD (3y) is the one that is really going to need the instruction but she already knows all of her upper and lower case letters as well as the sounds.  She's just having some difficulty in moving into blending them together.. I am not sure it would a good fit for her and worth the money if that's all she needs by looking at the review.  Do you?

Quoting romacox:

Have you seen Kathy Duffy's review on Ring Around The Phonics.?

• Channell07
    February 1, 2013 at 9:39 AM

ya'll are killing me! haha.. I will look at it! Thanks!

Quoting BramblePatch:

I swear by Adventures in Phonics :)

• romacox
    by romacox
    February 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM

The game uses static cling letters on the board, so it can teach blends, spelling, vocabulary, root words, prefixes, suffixes and more (4years old through 6th grade) .  But before you spend any money on curriculum check out the following video....it may be all she needs, or she may simply need time to mature in her reading. 

Quoting Channell07:

That's interesting.. DD (3y) is the one that is really going to need the instruction but she already knows all of her upper and lower case letters as well as the sounds.  She's just having some difficulty in moving into blending them together.. I am not sure it would a good fit for her and worth the money if that's all she needs by looking at the review.  Do you?

Quoting romacox:

Have you seen Kathy Duffy's review on Ring Around The Phonics.?

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    LOL good luck!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts