Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Channell07
I feel like I am going to close my eyes and choose
January 31, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I am having the hardest time deciding on a phonics program for my kids next year.  I have been using Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy lessons with ds but he literally skipped ahead into lesson 30-31 in the first week and we basically only read the words he doesn't know and the stories.  I have started DD on it and she is on lesson 8-9 and is seeming to hate it.  She needs a bit more direction than he did so I have been doing the whole program with her and we are both bored to tears.  I've decided to order a program for each of them this year.  DD will be Kinder and DS 1st.  I have been between McRuffy and All about reading since last year when I gave up and decided to try TYCTR in 100.  I find excellent reviews and people who love both but I just can't seem to make a decision! It's driving me nuts! LOL

Replies

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 2, 2013 at 7:13 AM
    I feel you, but that's the fun of it right, all the options? Lol
  • kirbymom
    February 2, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Having a full plate is always something that makes one consider the way things are done for a family. One of the Biggest reasons I started out doing all of the teaching and writing of our own curriculum was because we couldn't afford to buy anything. Not even piece meal curriculum. So, I had to compensate and just do it myself. When I saw that my children were learning from ME and my sad little attempts at teaching them only what I new, I knew then, that I really didn't *need* a bought curriculum like i thought I did. Oh i still thought I wanted one though. It took a few more years for me to realize that I truly didn't want or need any thing other than what I had already been doing this whole time. My kids were not only just learning, but they were also excelling too! That was a confidence booster like you wouldn't believe. lol   And I know that if I can do this without a pre programmed curriculum but just one of my own making, then antine else could do it too.  I say that because I do not have a College degree of any sort. If little ole me can, any one can!  kwim?  

Quoting Channell07:

This is what I should do.  I mean, I am one semester away from graduating with my Master's degree in Reading Education, after all.  However, I am so overwhelmed right now with Master's classes, schooling the kids, my husband working out of town and us seeing him only twice a month... the list goes on.

Quoting kirbymom:

Oh my goodness, I just teach it myself.  But, good luck to you.   :) 

• Channell07
    February 2, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Makes perfect sense.  I am kicking myself right now over the fact of going back to get my Master's. When  started I had intended to work. Now it's looking like I will not be using either degree, staying home for the long haul and I have student loans =/.  I may try to get on as an Ecot teacher or something down the road when the kids are more independent schooling-wise

Quoting kirbymom:

Having a full plate is always something that makes one consider the way things are done for a family. One of the Biggest reasons I started out doing all of the teaching and writing of our own curriculum was because we couldn't afford to buy anything. Not even piece meal curriculum. So, I had to compensate and just do it myself. When I saw that my children were learning from ME and my sad little attempts at teaching them only what I new, I knew then, that I really didn't *need* a bought curriculum like i thought I did. Oh i still thought I wanted one though. It took a few more years for me to realize that I truly didn't want or need any thing other than what I had already been doing this whole time. My kids were not only just learning, but they were also excelling too! That was a confidence booster like you wouldn't believe. lol   And I know that if I can do this without a pre programmed curriculum but just one of my own making, then antine else could do it too.  I say that because I do not have a College degree of any sort. If little ole me can, any one can!  kwim?  

Quoting Channell07:

This is what I should do.  I mean, I am one semester away from graduating with my Master's degree in Reading Education, after all.  However, I am so overwhelmed right now with Master's classes, schooling the kids, my husband working out of town and us seeing him only twice a month... the list goes on.

Quoting kirbymom:

• kirbymom
    February 4, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Ohh, don't kick yourself for a decision that was made in good concience. We all do that and then those decisions just get changed for reasons that factored themselves in, at a later point.  You made decisions that were right at that time, and now you are making a decision that is right for this time. 

Regret is a wasteful emotion that gets us nowhere fast.  :)  

Quoting Channell07:

Makes perfect sense.  I am kicking myself right now over the fact of going back to get my Master's. When  started I had intended to work. Now it's looking like I will not be using either degree, staying home for the long haul and I have student loans =/.  I may try to get on as an Ecot teacher or something down the road when the kids are more independent schooling-wise

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Channell07:

Quoting kirbymom:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN