Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Channell07
I feel like I am going to close my eyes and choose
January 31, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I am having the hardest time deciding on a phonics program for my kids next year.  I have been using Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy lessons with ds but he literally skipped ahead into lesson 30-31 in the first week and we basically only read the words he doesn't know and the stories.  I have started DD on it and she is on lesson 8-9 and is seeming to hate it.  She needs a bit more direction than he did so I have been doing the whole program with her and we are both bored to tears.  I've decided to order a program for each of them this year.  DD will be Kinder and DS 1st.  I have been between McRuffy and All about reading since last year when I gave up and decided to try TYCTR in 100.  I find excellent reviews and people who love both but I just can't seem to make a decision! It's driving me nuts! LOL

Replies

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 2, 2013 at 7:13 AM
    I feel you, but that's the fun of it right, all the options? Lol
  • kirbymom
    February 2, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Having a full plate is always something that makes one consider the way things are done for a family. One of the Biggest reasons I started out doing all of the teaching and writing of our own curriculum was because we couldn't afford to buy anything. Not even piece meal curriculum. So, I had to compensate and just do it myself. When I saw that my children were learning from ME and my sad little attempts at teaching them only what I new, I knew then, that I really didn't *need* a bought curriculum like i thought I did. Oh i still thought I wanted one though. It took a few more years for me to realize that I truly didn't want or need any thing other than what I had already been doing this whole time. My kids were not only just learning, but they were also excelling too! That was a confidence booster like you wouldn't believe. lol   And I know that if I can do this without a pre programmed curriculum but just one of my own making, then antine else could do it too.  I say that because I do not have a College degree of any sort. If little ole me can, any one can!  kwim?  

Quoting Channell07:

This is what I should do.  I mean, I am one semester away from graduating with my Master's degree in Reading Education, after all.  However, I am so overwhelmed right now with Master's classes, schooling the kids, my husband working out of town and us seeing him only twice a month... the list goes on.

Quoting kirbymom:

Oh my goodness, I just teach it myself.  But, good luck to you.   :) 

• Channell07
    February 2, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Makes perfect sense.  I am kicking myself right now over the fact of going back to get my Master's. When  started I had intended to work. Now it's looking like I will not be using either degree, staying home for the long haul and I have student loans =/.  I may try to get on as an Ecot teacher or something down the road when the kids are more independent schooling-wise

Quoting kirbymom:

Having a full plate is always something that makes one consider the way things are done for a family. One of the Biggest reasons I started out doing all of the teaching and writing of our own curriculum was because we couldn't afford to buy anything. Not even piece meal curriculum. So, I had to compensate and just do it myself. When I saw that my children were learning from ME and my sad little attempts at teaching them only what I new, I knew then, that I really didn't *need* a bought curriculum like i thought I did. Oh i still thought I wanted one though. It took a few more years for me to realize that I truly didn't want or need any thing other than what I had already been doing this whole time. My kids were not only just learning, but they were also excelling too! That was a confidence booster like you wouldn't believe. lol   And I know that if I can do this without a pre programmed curriculum but just one of my own making, then antine else could do it too.  I say that because I do not have a College degree of any sort. If little ole me can, any one can!  kwim?  

Quoting Channell07:

This is what I should do.  I mean, I am one semester away from graduating with my Master's degree in Reading Education, after all.  However, I am so overwhelmed right now with Master's classes, schooling the kids, my husband working out of town and us seeing him only twice a month... the list goes on.

Quoting kirbymom:

• kirbymom
    February 4, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Ohh, don't kick yourself for a decision that was made in good concience. We all do that and then those decisions just get changed for reasons that factored themselves in, at a later point.  You made decisions that were right at that time, and now you are making a decision that is right for this time. 

Regret is a wasteful emotion that gets us nowhere fast.  :)  

Quoting Channell07:

Makes perfect sense.  I am kicking myself right now over the fact of going back to get my Master's. When  started I had intended to work. Now it's looking like I will not be using either degree, staying home for the long haul and I have student loans =/.  I may try to get on as an Ecot teacher or something down the road when the kids are more independent schooling-wise

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Channell07:

Quoting kirbymom:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts