Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Precious333
help with 4 1/2 yr old
January 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM
I am not concerned, but dh really doesnt want the kids to be behind. He asked me yesterday if Gavin should be reading already. I told him thay right now we are just working on letters and sounds, but to be honest we dont do much often. Somtimes we will.use blocks, or starfall or leapfrog movies.....but not often enough it seems and he really doesnt know them that well, and doesnt seem bery interested like my first was. Im interested in any suggestions and opinions. Thanks.

Replies

• Precious333
    January 31, 2013 at 10:22 PM
    Thanks thats a great idea. It may even help my 6 yr old who can get confused on vowels once in awhile

Quoting coala:

I think ALL kids learn to read just before her 4 th birthday.  She started reading in mid May.  She is now nearing a 3rd grade reading level with the comprehension of a late first grader.  I think if you start working on what the vowel sounds are and when he knows those, start adding a consonant at a time and blend them (ta, te, ti, to, tu).  You get the picture.  This is what made it click for my LO.  She knew her letter sounds at an early age and was "trying" to read by 2, but didn't have the blending down.  Your guy isn't behind he is right on track for him.  LOL  Also, glad to hear that is brain has decided that he likes math and seems to be good at it.

• No_Difference
    January 31, 2013 at 10:35 PM

My little guy LOVED doing the All About Reading pre level 1. It introduced one letter at a time. Each letter had it's own unique craft that went with it for example the letter P, we colored everything in, then glued toothpicks on the P to make it like a porcupine. We would also read poems that emphasized the sound of the letter too. Then I also printed out a handwriting page for the letter, put it in a page protector and add it to his "writing" book. It became something he looked forward to doing every day.

• blueyedbaker
    February 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM

My first knew her letters and numbers when she was 2. My youngest hardly knew them when she went in to kindergarten. She refused to do anything. She knew how to spell certain words like all the family members names but to go through the alphabet she didn't know some of the letters and she only knew 1 to 10. It was like night and day between my girls. But she is a whiz now and way ahead in first grade. It doesn't take long for them to learn and it's like all of a sudden they know the letters and numbers it is amazing and then they are reading. It goes quite fast really. I wouldn't worry about it. Count when ever you get a chance or point out letters when you see them. AND read, read, read! My 5th grader reads at an 8th grade level. I started reading to them when I was nursing and we never stopped. Believe it or not but she actually hates reading(something I blame on her 2nd grade teacher in PS) but she reads so well and it's because we have always read. I'll get her to enjoy to read one of these days. I don't know what that teacher did to make her not like to read but I'll un-do it!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN