Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
bluerooffarm
What is the lamest reason?
January 31, 2013 at 11:32 AM

What is the lamest reason someone has given as to why you shouldn't hs?

I was told this yesterday and I just had to share the lamest reason I've ever heard about why I should send my kids back to school.  An uncle of my dh is also a former public school gym teacher.  While we were together over Thanksgiving all the kids in the family did this craft together where they pushed out perferated turkeys.  My youngest 2 had trouble with this activity (to be fair they are only 4 and 5).  They kept ripping the turkey at the neck.

When I was on the phone with said uncle yesterday evening he told me that my kids had problems with perferations because they are not in public school!

Since in publis school they have to tear out each worksheet that they do by themselves but I rip out each of my kids worksheets and put it in their daily folder, they will apparently NEVER learn to tear out perforated sheets.  O.M.G!  and he was totally serious about it!

So how about it, what's the lamest reasoning you've ever heard?

Replies

• kirbymom
    February 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I know what you mean.  If you are only ever in 1 place for  6 or more hours, its hard to understand that there are different ways and views to just about anything.  My kids have that same understanding yours has.  :)

I think the reason our group works so well is because  we have a divergance of different places and people.  I love that!  :)   

Quoting bluerooffarm:

What's really great is that I've found my kids get to see more ways to live because we homeschool, which is so contrary to what others believe.  I think their minds are much more open to other ways of living because we homeschool and they get to see those other ways of living.  They get to see the city when we go visit the museums, they get to see beach life when we go there, and hopefully we get to visit St Kitts and see a bit of life outside the US soon.  I'm hoping these ideas stay with them as they grow up.  I always feel such pity for people who can only think in terms of their own lives.  It's really nice to see how others live here.  The city mice who don't like the country, the homesteaders, the suburban "soccer moms,"  we really do get a flavor of each in our group here.

Quoting kirbymom:

You betchya.  My kids show that on a daily basis.  After having to *prove* this to so many, and they have seen the results for themselves, all those who are against me and my way of living, just resort to giving me mumbles and dirty looks anymore.  lol   That is a comfort for me, along with ladies like you and in this group. :)  You ladies show me there are people out there who have an open mind and realize that there are different ways to living life and that you  just might want to try one of those different ways sometime.  :)  That and my family and my faith.  :)  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Eek!  I can't even fathom someone who wouldn't want to understand a different perspective.  And I don't want to fathom it either.  There are some really crazy reasons out there.  I'm glad most of the craziest reasons out there are so easy to disprove.  :-)  I mean the proof is in the pudding with your kids, easy to prove you are quite capable of giving your children every thing they need.

Quoting kirbymom:

LOL ---  You don't have to worry about saying anything. What could you say? I have gotten over it by now.  This is only one of the many words that have been said. Also one of the many reasons I have learned to be so tough and as matter-of-fact as I am now.  :)  I can look back and realize that the people who say things like this just have no clue and most likely will never have a clue. Why else would they say and be, so cruel, in the first place.  And as usmom has said a few times herself, I do not have the time nor the patience to try and help them to understand.  These type of people don't want to understand. So, why even waste my precious time and energy on them when that can be focused on those who can be shown?   

Yeah, people can be crazy.  :)   

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

I have actually been told that I am not smart enough to homeschool my children let alone have the amount of kids that I do.  lol  At that time I only had 6. ahahaha 

I don't even know what to say to that!  SMH.  Some people are a bit crazy, huh? 

• bluerooffarm
    February 1, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Oh, I agree!  It helps to have other people with other experiences to help when you get stuck on a subject the kids really want to learn!

Quoting kirbymom:

I know what you mean.  If you are only ever in 1 place for  6 or more hours, its hard to understand that there are different ways and views to just about anything.  My kids have that same understanding yours has.  :)

I think the reason our group works so well is because  we have a divergance of different places and people.  I love that!  :)   

Quoting bluerooffarm:

What's really great is that I've found my kids get to see more ways to live because we homeschool, which is so contrary to what others believe.  I think their minds are much more open to other ways of living because we homeschool and they get to see those other ways of living.  They get to see the city when we go visit the museums, they get to see beach life when we go there, and hopefully we get to visit St Kitts and see a bit of life outside the US soon.  I'm hoping these ideas stay with them as they grow up.  I always feel such pity for people who can only think in terms of their own lives.  It's really nice to see how others live here.  The city mice who don't like the country, the homesteaders, the suburban "soccer moms,"  we really do get a flavor of each in our group here.

Quoting kirbymom:

You betchya.  My kids show that on a daily basis.  After having to *prove* this to so many, and they have seen the results for themselves, all those who are against me and my way of living, just resort to giving me mumbles and dirty looks anymore.  lol   That is a comfort for me, along with ladies like you and in this group. :)  You ladies show me there are people out there who have an open mind and realize that there are different ways to living life and that you  just might want to try one of those different ways sometime.  :)  That and my family and my faith.  :)  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Eek!  I can't even fathom someone who wouldn't want to understand a different perspective.  And I don't want to fathom it either.  There are some really crazy reasons out there.  I'm glad most of the craziest reasons out there are so easy to disprove.  :-)  I mean the proof is in the pudding with your kids, easy to prove you are quite capable of giving your children every thing they need.

Quoting kirbymom:

LOL ---  You don't have to worry about saying anything. What could you say? I have gotten over it by now.  This is only one of the many words that have been said. Also one of the many reasons I have learned to be so tough and as matter-of-fact as I am now.  :)  I can look back and realize that the people who say things like this just have no clue and most likely will never have a clue. Why else would they say and be, so cruel, in the first place.  And as usmom has said a few times herself, I do not have the time nor the patience to try and help them to understand.  These type of people don't want to understand. So, why even waste my precious time and energy on them when that can be focused on those who can be shown?   

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

I have actually been told that I am not smart enough to homeschool my children let alone have the amount of kids that I do.  lol  At that time I only had 6. ahahaha 

• kirbymom
    February 1, 2013 at 3:05 PM

lol ~ I love you !   We are most definitely of the same mind set.  lol   

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Oh, I agree!  It helps to have other people with other experiences to help when you get stuck on a subject the kids really want to learn!

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

• KALmommy
    February 2, 2013 at 4:05 AM

I was just told the other day that my kids have no opportunity for "emotional" learning.  When I asked what that was, my sister said it was when kids learn how their actions make others feel and how other's actions make them feel.  Apparently because I homeschool, my kids have no clue how their actions can make others feel.  Um, yeah, okay.  My sister is 28, still lives at home with mom and dad and has no kids.  She has a Master's Degree in school counseling so apparently that make her an expert on raising kids and homeschooling.  Let's just say that one was the one that broke the camel's back and we are no longer speaking....ever again.

• bluerooffarm
    February 2, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Quoting KALmommy:

I was just told the other day that my kids have no opportunity for "emotional" learning.  When I asked what that was, my sister said it was when kids learn how their actions make others feel and how other's actions make them feel.  Apparently because I homeschool, my kids have no clue how their actions can make others feel.  Um, yeah, okay.  My sister is 28, still lives at home with mom and dad and has no kids.  She has a Master's Degree in school counseling so apparently that make her an expert on raising kids and homeschooling.  Let's just say that one was the one that broke the camel's back and we are no longer speaking....ever again.

Aww bless her little heart (My sister-in-law says that's Alabaman for "there's something really wrong here").  There are so many from the public school sector that are so threatened by homeschooling.  They realize that if people knew how much better homeschooling is for many, many families, they would lose the jobs they've trained for years to do. 

I've also found that people without kids are all experts at raising them!

• Pukalani79
    February 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I've only had two people talk against homeschooling.  One was about not pulling out my daughter becuase she is too social, and the other was from her doctor who said that pulling her out because of her anxiety was the wrong choice.  She said she'd never learn to deal with it if she didn't have to face the pressure and social drama of public school.  (In fact, she rathered I put her in a school for children who abuse others, who have anger issues and who generally CANNOT be in public school because of behavioral issues before I homeschooled.  We switched doctors)

• bluerooffarm
    February 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Quoting Pukalani79:

I've only had two people talk against homeschooling.  One was about not pulling out my daughter becuase she is too social, and the other was from her doctor who said that pulling her out because of her anxiety was the wrong choice.  She said she'd never learn to deal with it if she didn't have to face the pressure and social drama of public school.  (In fact, she rathered I put her in a school for children who abuse others, who have anger issues and who generally CANNOT be in public school because of behavioral issues before I homeschooled.  We switched doctors)

I think that was a very good choice!

• KALmommy
    February 6, 2013 at 3:57 AM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting KALmommy:

Aww bless her little heart (My sister-in-law says that's Alabaman for "there's something really wrong here").  There are so many from the public school sector that are so threatened by homeschooling.  They realize that if people knew how much better homeschooling is for many, many families, they would lose the jobs they've trained for years to do. 

LOL...yep, she's is definitley an expert in raising kids (in her opinion because hey...she has a Master's degree after all).  What you said is exactly right though...she cares more about her job security that what is best for kids.  And she's always hated me so as long as I am doing it, it must be wrong.  I actually have an aunt that is a school teacher.  When I pulled my kids she said "I've had years of education on how to teach children.  Do you really think you can teach your children better than I can?"  Um, yeah, talk about "there's really something wrong here"!  I think she was offended when I said yes, I could!  LOL

• bluerooffarm
    February 6, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Quoting KALmommy:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting KALmommy:

LOL...yep, she's is definitley an expert in raising kids (in her opinion because hey...she has a Master's degree after all).  What you said is exactly right though...she cares more about her job security that what is best for kids.  And she's always hated me so as long as I am doing it, it must be wrong.  I actually have an aunt that is a school teacher.  When I pulled my kids she said "I've had years of education on how to teach children.  Do you really think you can teach your children better than I can?"  Um, yeah, talk about "there's really something wrong here"!  I think she was offended when I said yes, I could!  LOL

I've had both extremes from school teachers.  (They are married to each other!!)  One said that the testing has gotten out of hand and she has suggested to parents that they homeschool to give their kids confidence because testing has stripped it out of them.  While he's the one that says my kids will never learn to tear out perforated sheets.  It's crazy how some cling to the system the way they do.

• tuffymama
    February 6, 2013 at 9:40 AM
    Someone on my thyroid board just recently messaged me to let me know that since I have a slow thyroid, I'm doing my LO a disservice by "forcing him to stay home with" me. Ha! What, is he gonna catch it?

DH's bitchy aunt told her son that I have a lot of nerve homeschooling when I never finished my degree. Of course, Cousin ran straight to DH to have a chuckle over it. The joke is, I started tutoring kids in reading way back in middle school, I continued through high school and into my thirties, I've run a million dollar LLC, and I still get paid to edit grant proposals and other people's writing.

Truth be told, the aunt's criticism comes from a place of pain. She "saved herself for marriage," and wanted to stay home with her kids, but her husband developed a drinking and drugs habit before running off with the seventeen year old babysitter, when the youngest child was a newborn. I remind myself of that every time I catch wind of another hateful thing she has said about me (and there have been some doozies). I think we all need to remember that these snipey and intrusive comments usually come from insecurity, pain, misinformation, and fear of the unknown/different.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts