Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
tmgonz
Math fight again
by tmgonz
January 30, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Math is such a fight with my dd 9. Not because she doesn't understand it but because I don't think she likes it.  Last year was our first year and we used horizons.That did not go so well. I talked with her about what she wanted in a math curriculum and we decided on Teaching text books. It worked well at first, but now its back to being a fight.  She is my most stubborn child. So not sure what to do- any suggestions welcomed.

Replies

• Tal0n
    by Tal0n
    January 30, 2013 at 2:56 PM

We use IXL online, pretty exclusively now.  It's great for Chibi, bc she is a perfectionist; so every time she gets set back, she's more determined to finish it.  And the program is good about explaining how to figure out a problem when she misses one.  Most of all, it makes her figure out herself that she needs to write down certain kinds of problems instead of trying to do them in her head.

Also, when Chibi was that age, we cut back on the math to cut back on the head butting.  Now she knows she's playing catch-up, but it's on her terms and now that she's a little more mature, she's more self-motivated to deal with it.

• AutymsMommy
    January 30, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I'm certainly no harda*s (ask my children, lol), but I think it's time to have a sit down and gently (but firmly) remind her that not everything in life is pleasant, but that doesn't make it less necessary (read: there are some things in life we must do, although we may not like them). In this house, I will go out of my way to try and make things enjoyable, but all children are different; sometimes no matter how much you change things up, their personality simply isn't one that enjoys everything (and, frankly, that's normal and OKAY!).

No matter what I do (and try), my daughter hates reading and hates history. I've spent tons of money trying to find a history program that she enjoys - flop; I've spent tons of money filling our home bookshelves with books (classic literature, fun fluff, fiction and nonfiction, popular tween picks, etc) - flop. So this year, our mantra is "do it anyway". I can't keep making myself crazy over it - she is her own person with her own likes and dislikes; she doesn't have to like reading and history, but she DOES have to do it.

• Silverkitty
    January 30, 2013 at 3:19 PM

My daughter HATES Teaching Textbooks.  We are going back to a text book next year, but instead of using a normal middle/high school text we are going to try a college textbook and see how it works for us.

• kirbymom
    January 30, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Do you have to use the math curriculum? Can you use something from the internet?

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    January 31, 2013 at 9:30 AM

hands on math- cooking, building something, grocery shopping, menu making, etc

math games- look online for math games and on pinterest

• tmgonz
    by tmgonz
    January 31, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Yes, I prefer having a curriculum. I could use the internet for extra practice.

Quoting kirbymom:

Do you have to use the math curriculum? Can you use something from the internet?

• tmgonz
    by tmgonz
    January 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM

We have had this talk and it just didn't work.  I think we will just go back to horizons because I like it better than TT. And I believe like you we don't always like everything. I guess math just isn't her favorite but she has to do it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'm certainly no harda*s (ask my children, lol), but I think it's time to have a sit down and gently (but firmly) remind her that not everything in life is pleasant, but that doesn't make it less necessary (read: there are some things in life we must do, although we may not like them). In this house, I will go out of my way to try and make things enjoyable, but all children are different; sometimes no matter how much you change things up, their personality simply isn't one that enjoys everything (and, frankly, that's normal and OKAY!).

No matter what I do (and try), my daughter hates reading and hates history. I've spent tons of money trying to find a history program that she enjoys - flop; I've spent tons of money filling our home bookshelves with books (classic literature, fun fluff, fiction and nonfiction, popular tween picks, etc) - flop. So this year, our mantra is "do it anyway". I can't keep making myself crazy over it - she is her own person with her own likes and dislikes; she doesn't have to like reading and history, but she DOES have to do it.

• kirbymom
    January 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Maybe you could use a website that has a set math program that she would like. Could she do some physical activity when she is doing her math? Like make it a thing that she could do some problems while standing on one foot and that if she does so many within a set time frame, that she could take a break or earn a priveledge.  Or she could earn an earlier ending of her school day for a week then go back to normal the following week and have her earn that time again through another competition.  Something that will help her want to do math even though she doesn't like it or want to do it. Maybe she could do this with you or another sibling. Right now, I am having my 9 yr old and my 6 yr old doing a competition of their math on the set of 10's, all numbers counting to 10. Whoever says the correct number first, is the winner. You should see let alone hear this little competition. lol   My 6 yr old is actually learning his math much quicker and gets it done a whole lot faster.  lol   Less fighting going on too. :)  

Quoting tmgonz:

Quoting kirbymom:

• tmgonz
    by tmgonz
    January 31, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Not sure why I said she was 9 she won't be 9 until July. I was jumping ahead on that one. I'm trying to think of some reward system. I was thinking about make giving tickets every time she does good and then with so many tickets she could earn some sort of reward. I tried something like what you are doing with you kids with math facts and made it a competition between her and my 6yo dd and she does great with that.  But as soon as math time comes she can't remember half of the facts. She loves competition. She went to PS for kinder and first and she never had this problem because she liked being smarter than everyone. Even if she didn't understand it she would work until she figured it out. I jokingly say PS corrupted her.

Quoting kirbymom:

Maybe you could use a website that has a set math program that she would like. Could she do some physical activity when she is doing her math? Like make it a thing that she could do some problems while standing on one foot and that if she does so many within a set time frame, that she could take a break or earn a priveledge.  Or she could earn an earlier ending of her school day for a week then go back to normal the following week and have her earn that time again through another competition.  Something that will help her want to do math even though she doesn't like it or want to do it. Maybe she could do this with you or another sibling. Right now, I am having my 9 yr old and my 6 yr old doing a competition of their math on the set of 10's, all numbers counting to 10. Whoever says the correct number first, is the winner. You should see let alone hear this little competition. lol   My 6 yr old is actually learning his math much quicker and gets it done a whole lot faster.  lol   Less fighting going on too. :)  

Quoting tmgonz:

Quoting kirbymom:

• kirbymom
    January 31, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Try doing math association. Can she help you with cooking? If she can, let her help you and let her do her math while she is helping to figure out amounts by addding or subtracting or multiplying. even dividing if she is at that point in her math. Ask her if she would like to make  something with you guiding her. Like a dessert for after dinner. That would make it a pride thing. She not only would apply her lesson in math with cooking/baking, but she would gain a feeling of pride in herself along with confidence that she CAN figure out her math which then is the catalyst for her confidence.  

Quoting tmgonz:

Not sure why I said she was 9 she won't be 9 until July. I was jumping ahead on that one. I'm trying to think of some reward system. I was thinking about make giving tickets every time she does good and then with so many tickets she could earn some sort of reward. I tried something like what you are doing with you kids with math facts and made it a competition between her and my 6yo dd and she does great with that.  But as soon as math time comes she can't remember half of the facts. She loves competition. She went to PS for kinder and first and she never had this problem because she liked being smarter than everyone. Even if she didn't understand it she would work until she figured it out. I jokingly say PS corrupted her.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting tmgonz:

Quoting kirbymom:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts