Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
QueenCreole313
Year round School?
January 29, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Do you school year round? Why? How often do you take breaks? Do you do a full schedule during the summer or partial?

Replies

• SuperMommy408
    January 31, 2013 at 4:24 PM

We will be  homeschooling year around. We usually do 2 hours a day and we will take off as we need to. I will  try to incorporate fun stuff in our school days during the summer!!

• TigerofMu
    February 1, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Well last year a team from Canada came and did a Community VBS here.  We've also had teams from Oklahoma and Texas.

Quoting kirbymom:

Mission team as in another country or anouther state?  

Quoting TigerofMu:

We do school year round, but we take a break pretty much through July because we have kids camp, youth camp, fair, and usually a visiting mission team to do VBS.

• kirbymom
    February 1, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I bet that is is quite an exciting time when visiting teams come.  I know that I oved going to another town to play volleyball.  Do you have a favorite team? 

Quoting TigerofMu:

Well last year a team from Canada came and did a Community VBS here.  We've also had teams from Oklahoma and Texas.

Quoting kirbymom:

Mission team as in another country or anouther state?  

Quoting TigerofMu:

We do school year round, but we take a break pretty much through July because we have kids camp, youth camp, fair, and usually a visiting mission team to do VBS.

• aneela
    by aneela
    February 13, 2013 at 4:38 PM

i plan on it...with short breaks here and there....i see no reason to take a long break and NOT be learning something a few times a week at minimum...unless we are on a vacation (which is really an extended field trip in my eyes :P)

• tiredmomfor2
    February 13, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    We school year round. Our life can be kind of crazy, so I do not plan days off or breaks. We just take days off when we need to. Take this week for instance. I did a lesson plan for this week. Then we ended up having a crazier week than expected and the weather was amazing the last 2 days. So..we dropped all work to enjoy the weather and deal with life. The oldest two spent the last 2 days helping me clear the garden and studying the veggies left there from last fall. Carrots, turnips, petrified squash seeds etc.
    I had an appointment today and we had to go to the store. Tomorrow the weather is going to be crummy again so we will get back to hitting the books.
    We are very flexible with our schedule. It probably sounds like it wouldn't work, but they are both ahead of their grade in reading and math. Plus they love to learn, and my son knows more facts about animals than anyone I know. Stuff he chose to learn on his own.
    My kids are still pretty young and school doesn't take very long each day. They are constantly doing/learning something.
  • wunderwifey
    February 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM
    My plan is to make sure we hit the 180 days, but not stop just because we do. Yesterday I figured out that we can start the last week of August and take a week off every other month in sinc with DHs week off and still be done by mid June w the required days. After that we'll relax some but not quit all together. I'm using this summer to get them use to doing an hour of review each day. But unless we take a trip somewhere, that's all the 'schooling' I plan for the July-August time.
  • bether89
    February 14, 2013 at 12:11 AM

We mostly follow the school calender, but during the summer we do  just a little each day to help retain the knowledge learned like multiplication, handwriting, and such.  I have bought a book with summer bridge activities for the summer where ds does a couple of pages a day.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts