Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
QueenCreole313
Year round School?
January 29, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Do you school year round? Why? How often do you take breaks? Do you do a full schedule during the summer or partial?

Replies

• DesireMM
    January 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM

We do school all year long. The kids have asked that next year we work it to where they have a summer break. So we will be trying a different style next year.

• bluerooffarm
    January 30, 2013 at 4:31 PM
    We have been using k12 during the school year and unschooling in the summer, but this year when we finish our k12 lessons we will just start right in with our own schooling.
  • swim-mom72
    January 30, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Year 'round schoolers here! We do it for the flexability, lowered stress and because we participate in a co-op for 18 weeks during the traditional school year. So, for those 18 weeks we only school 4 days a week.

Plus, my oldest is a competitive swimmer, practicing 6 days a week, with 2-a-days on Mondays and Wed. That puts us on the move a LOT. So, schooling year 'round affords us a more laid back approach and no more added stress than we already have : )

We take the month of June off, one week for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks for Christmas, and a day here and there for field trips, doc visits, and any miscellaneous life stuff that comes up.

• KickButtMama
    January 30, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I know just what you mean! It's always difficult for me to answer the semester/days of school question for just that reason - we are all constantly learning! But we don't follow a strict curriculum/regemin so maybe things would be different if we were. We end up learning in Every situation....even when the kids are playing a game and go online to determine how to pass a evel, they often have to learn how to spell new words. And my kids never watch a tv show without looking up at least 1 words definition. I love HS and the fact that my kids don't thing learning is only done between 8-3 or that it has to be done in some specific building/room/desk...

Quoting kirbymom:

No, we don't school for a whole year.  We do take the summer off, somewhat.  They don't do actual sit down paper work but we are always learning something. We are in a constant state of learning in our family. The kids are always taking on new projects and sometimes they are having to learn a new piece of information or a new technique for any one of their projects they take on.   I am constantly being amazed, though I shouldn't be, at what my kids are learning at any given moment.  Like righht now, my boys are learning how to paper mache a car and a truck with real homemade engines that they have designed and put together themselves.  Its amazing what they are learning.  :)  

• TigerofMu
    January 30, 2013 at 10:16 PM

We do school year round, but we take a break pretty much through July because we have kids camp, youth camp, fair, and usually a visiting mission team to do VBS.

• kirbymom
    January 31, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Me too.  I think that is why I came up with my slogan that...." Life is Education and Education is Life"  I watched my kids continue to learn new things and new ways of doing and thinking that I knew that Education isn't just about Academia. It was about Life, specifically and generally. Without Life, Academia would mean nothing.  :)  

Quoting KickButtMama:

I know just what you mean! It's always difficult for me to answer the semester/days of school question for just that reason - we are all constantly learning! But we don't follow a strict curriculum/regemin so maybe things would be different if we were. We end up learning in Every situation....even when the kids are playing a game and go online to determine how to pass a evel, they often have to learn how to spell new words. And my kids never watch a tv show without looking up at least 1 words definition. I love HS and the fact that my kids don't thing learning is only done between 8-3 or that it has to be done in some specific building/room/desk...

Quoting kirbymom:

No, we don't school for a whole year.  We do take the summer off, somewhat.  They don't do actual sit down paper work but we are always learning something. We are in a constant state of learning in our family. The kids are always taking on new projects and sometimes they are having to learn a new piece of information or a new technique for any one of their projects they take on.   I am constantly being amazed, though I shouldn't be, at what my kids are learning at any given moment.  Like righht now, my boys are learning how to paper mache a car and a truck with real homemade engines that they have designed and put together themselves.  Its amazing what they are learning.  :)  

• kirbymom
    January 31, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Mission team as in another country or anouther state?  

Quoting TigerofMu:

We do school year round, but we take a break pretty much through July because we have kids camp, youth camp, fair, and usually a visiting mission team to do VBS.

• KickButtMama
    January 31, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I love that slogan!

Quoting kirbymom:

Me too.  I think that is why I came up with my slogan that...." Life is Education and Education is Life"  I watched my kids continue to learn new things and new ways of doing and thinking that I knew that Education isn't just about Academia. It was about Life, specifically and generally. Without Life, Academia would mean nothing.  :)  

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting kirbymom:

• kirbymom
    January 31, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Thank you.  :)   

Quoting KickButtMama:

I love that slogan!

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting kirbymom:

• blueyedbaker
    January 31, 2013 at 4:15 PM

No way. I need a break too! We home school from September to May. We do some work through out the summer so that what was learned is not totally forgotten. We end in May because we don't take all the breaks that PS does. We'll have a 3 day weekend here and there but I like ending in May instead of the end of June so we don't take many holidays off. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts