Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Boobah
Planning for next year
by Boobah
January 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I purchased some curriculum to check out for next year, and am trying to decide if I want to use it or stick with the author we have.  Last year it took me MONTHS to plan (I was super pregnant, sick, and then had a newborn) so I am hoping it isn't the same this year.  My goal is to start early and be able to enjoy the summer.  

Anyone else planning for next year?  What grades/ages are you going to be homeschooling?   

Replies

• Jinx-Troublex3
    January 29, 2013 at 5:41 PM
    I will have a 10th, 8th and 5th grader next year....yikes!

I'm pretty happy with most of our curriculum.

Math: Math U See and Teaching Textbooks with khanacademy if needed.

Lang. Arts: All About Spelling, Easy Grammar & Write Source with selected literature reading

Science: Science in a nutshell boxes and state textbook, how it's made and Mythbusters and other supplements...

History: State text. For oldest and youngest. Steck~vauhn for DS2, all supplemented with documentaries.

However, I need something different for DS2 for science. He can't focus on textbooks for more than a page or two. Hands on would be best but that takes so much time each day. I may look at one of those science lesson online sites.

• KALmommy
    January 29, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I'm planning already.  I am going to be doing 5th, 3rd and Kindergarten (ages 10, 7 and 5).  I know I'm using Sonlight so really it is just a matter of me buying the books.  I buy certain things from SL but I will buy a lot of the "readers" used from Amazon as they are WAY cheaper.  So I just had a spreadsheet for each child, what books I needed as per the SL Instruction Guide (which I always buy from SL), what books I'm getting for math, science and language skills and then I mark if I am buying them off Amazon, Christianbookstore.com or Sonlight and the price.  Then as I get them I just mark them off.  I suffer from OCD so this may seem extreme but it works for me. 

• SuperMommy408
    January 29, 2013 at 7:30 PM
    I'm going to start planning next week. I will have a first,second and third grader!! Last year was our first year homeschooling. I was all over the place, but this year I'm a little better. I think I might use a curriculum this time. I'm not sure which curriculum yet. I'm still researching!!
  • rsrangel
    January 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I'm planning because I can't wait to have homeschooling as my only focus!  I'm 6 months away from graduation and can't focus on classes any longer, so I just plan for homeschooling lol.  My ages next year will be 8, 7, 6 and 5.  Grades 3, 1, and 2 in K.  But planning usually gets thrown out the window when it comes to actually putting it into play lol, but for now I'm having fun doing it. 

• Precious333
    January 29, 2013 at 8:18 PM
    Im hoping my plans work....it mostly depends on dh.
  • coala
    by coala
    January 29, 2013 at 8:33 PM

We will continue to use ABeka next year.  I think we will use this program for as long as we can....at least until it stops working for our kids.  I just wish we could move at a slightly quicker pace with my youngest (she is ready and could handle it)....she just doesn't want to so we are doing it at her speed.  LOL

• KickButtMama
    January 29, 2013 at 9:02 PM

I take 2 planning breaks/year - August & December. My kids neve never kept interest in a single style for longer than 6 months. Good luck!

• kittyfaery
    January 29, 2013 at 9:34 PM
    A little off topic but I was wondering if you are using different cores for each child? I was looking into sonlight and I will have a 5th grader and 1st grader. They will be 10 and 6.

Quoting KALmommy:

I'm planning already.  I am going to be doing 5th, 3rd and Kindergarten (ages 10, 7 and 5).  I know I'm using Sonlight so really it is just a matter of me buying the books.  I buy certain things from SL but I will buy a lot of the "readers" used from Amazon as they are WAY cheaper.  So I just had a spreadsheet for each child, what books I needed as per the SL Instruction Guide (which I always buy from SL), what books I'm getting for math, science and language skills and then I mark if I am buying them off Amazon, Christianbookstore.com or Sonlight and the price.  Then as I get them I just mark them off.  I suffer from OCD so this may seem extreme but it works for me. 

• BramblePatch
    January 29, 2013 at 9:50 PM
    I will have a K and a 1st. I am planning a bit because its tax money time and I need to set aside money now. I am torn between two vastly different curriculums...and I have two vastly different children. I need to try and combine several subjects for my own sanity....which always pulls me to Sonlight.....but DD is using Memoria Press and we LOVE it...and DS LA and math from CLP work for him. Ugh.
  • No_Difference
    January 29, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I am planning for next year. Waiting til our taxes are done before I start pushing prices on all the curriculum. I'll be starting K with my little guy who'll be 4 (and is already doing a lot of K stuff, mostly through games, but he loves doing workbooks when his big sister is doing her stuff) And my daugher will be mostly 4th grade work and she'll be 9. 
    I'm debating if we're taking the summer off entirely or not yet. It's going to depend on the swim team schedule this yr and if she spends a month at the grandparent's homes again. Last year she spent 1 week at one grandparents, 2 weeks at the other, except for weekends she was with her great grandparents.
    I'm leaning towards Story of the World for history for her...but haven't 100% commited myself to anything for that subject yet. And I'm debating about using Sonlight's language arts program...again...not entirely committed. Otherwise I'm happy with all the other curriculum we'll be using which is Math U See (for both kiddos...Primer, and we'll hopefully be onto division next yr for my daughter), All about Reading for the little guy and Spelling lvl 4 for the the princess. Real Science 4 Kids for her...no formal science for the little guy (we'll probably make another caterpillar friend and watch him transform)  

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN