Homeschooling Moms

Boobah
Planning for next year
by Boobah
January 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I purchased some curriculum to check out for next year, and am trying to decide if I want to use it or stick with the author we have.  Last year it took me MONTHS to plan (I was super pregnant, sick, and then had a newborn) so I am hoping it isn't the same this year.  My goal is to start early and be able to enjoy the summer.  

Anyone else planning for next year?  What grades/ages are you going to be homeschooling?   

Replies

• lifesadream83
    February 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM

KAL-we are also going to be doing D with dd she will be 9.

kitty- george the drummer boy, the log way westward... there are a bunch of books for a first grader you can use with D+E!  You can also get the LA for his age & use the readers from D+E as read alouds for him.  :)

Quoting kittyfaery:

I was thinking about the US History, I think its d+e. I figure it won't be too hard to find books about different things in US history geared for younger ages that I can use for my middle son. I figured I can use it on him again the proper way when he is older. I still have to talk my husband into it. He wants to put my oldest back in public school because of his attitude about school work. We are doing independent study at a charter school right now and I don't have as much control over his work as I thought I would.

Quoting KALmommy:

I have done a combined core but tend to stick to separate cores.  The one combined that I did was World History (Core B/C) and it was okay because my daughter is an advanced reader.  But, my son is also an advanced reader so the books tended to be a little easy for him and that's when I decided to do separate cores.  My son is 10 as well and he will be doing Core F next year.  My daughter will be 8 when the school year starts and she will be doing Core D.  It costs more but again, for a lot of the readers I check my library, what I already have or buy them used.  I buy the IGs and the "consumables".  I would just look at the "readers" in each core and see if you could combine if you wanted.  Good luck!

Quoting kittyfaery:

A little off topic but I was wondering if you are using different cores for each child? I was looking into sonlight and I will have a 5th grader and 1st grader. They will be 10 and 6.

Quoting KALmommy:

I'm planning already.  I am going to be doing 5th, 3rd and Kindergarten (ages 10, 7 and 5).  I know I'm using Sonlight so really it is just a matter of me buying the books.  I buy certain things from SL but I will buy a lot of the "readers" used from Amazon as they are WAY cheaper.  So I just had a spreadsheet for each child, what books I needed as per the SL Instruction Guide (which I always buy from SL), what books I'm getting for math, science and language skills and then I mark if I am buying them off Amazon, Christianbookstore.com or Sonlight and the price.  Then as I get them I just mark them off.  I suffer from OCD so this may seem extreme but it works for me. 

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 17, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I've got a 7th (!!!) grader and a 3rd grader next year along with Theo who will be 4 and Nikki 2.

I've started looking at more book/workbook based programs for my oldest. I usually just make it up as I go but I feel like she might do better with an actual curriculum to guide her through the next few years.

• lifesadream83
    February 17, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I am always an advocate for what I use.. SL,MIF, RS4K,MBTP,AAS lol the list goes on.  I was in the market for an all inclusive LA program and a friend of mine introduced me to Moving Beyond the Page.  We will be starting it when it arrives as well as all about spelling.  But I wanted to urge you to look at Moving Beyond the Page's website.  They have an all inclusive program except for math.  The guides are written so that the student directs their learning.  And the 11-13 is for 7th Grade.  They are also releasing 12-14 in the spring for 8th grade.  It maybe what you are looking for! I personally don't like the jumbledness of history and science at the lower levels but for 7th and 8th i will be using the whole package with sl history readers to augment.

Quoting mem82:

I've got a 7th (!!!) grader and a 3rd grader next year along with Theo who will be 4 and Nikki 2.

I've started looking at more book/workbook based programs for my oldest. I usually just make it up as I go but I feel like she might do better with an actual curriculum to guide her through the next few years.

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 17, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I'm a little leary of the price of all inclusive programs. I just checked out Abeka and it was $850! LOL I usually buy everything in bits. It was a shock.

Quoting lifesadream83:

I am always an advocate for what I use.. SL,MIF, RS4K,MBTP,AAS lol the list goes on.  I was in the market for an all inclusive LA program and a friend of mine introduced me to Moving Beyond the Page.  We will be starting it when it arrives as well as all about spelling.  But I wanted to urge you to look at Moving Beyond the Page's website.  They have an all inclusive program except for math.  The guides are written so that the student directs their learning.  And the 11-13 is for 7th Grade.  They are also releasing 12-14 in the spring for 8th grade.  It maybe what you are looking for! I personally don't like the jumbledness of history and science at the lower levels but for 7th and 8th i will be using the whole package with sl history readers to augment.

Quoting mem82:

• lifesadream83
    February 17, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Yea I think MBTP is like 900+ for that grade level. I just dropped just over 2k on curriculum so I totally feel your pain.  Thank Uncle Sam for the annual savings account called taxes!  LOL I was shocked when I started homeschooling but my justification is that its cheaper then the private school she was in :)  I hope you find something you really like!

Quoting mem82:

I'm a little leary of the price of all inclusive programs. I just checked out Abeka and it was $850! LOL I usually buy everything in bits. It was a shock.

Quoting lifesadream83:

Quoting mem82:

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 17, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    My $40 curriculum is looking mighty good right now. Lol! We do spend a good bit on quality art supplies though.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    February 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM
    Lol

Quoting Boobah:

My $40 curriculum is looking mighty good right now. Lol! We do spend a good bit on quality art supplies though.
  • srichtermom
    February 19, 2013 at 1:31 AM

I'm starting to plan a bit since we are going to a big homeschooling conference at the beginning of June and I want to have a plan as to what vendors I want to check out while I am there.  I'll have a 5th grader and K next year.  We are definitely sticking with Abeka for math and possibly language arts again.  We are in the market for new science and history curriculum.  I was doing some research into Apologia for science, so if anyone has good or bad to say about it, I'd love feedback :-)  My dd (5th grader) also wants to do a stricter art curriculum so I've been looking around for that as well.

• motheroffour186
    February 19, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Hello how are you doing? Yes we are getting ready for next year because I want to start my own curriculum for  two kindergarten a 6th grader and a 9th grader. I want my children to help me as well like what they want to learn in science and social studies what we are going to learn from November 2013 to March 2014. Then for the first week I want to test see what we have to go over more that they forgot doing to summer. So I want to take 3 weeks to work on that. Yes I am home schooling all four.

• debramommyof4
    February 19, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Well I am planning for all 4 just incase because we dont know where we are moving.  We will have a 3 year old preschooler, a 4 year old preschooler, a 1st grader and a 2/3rd grader.  Only my 2/3rd grader wants to homeschool next year so if there are good where we move I will only need curriculum for her and fun stuff for my 3 year old. But I am planning to be safe. 

I plan for my 3 year old to join us for circle time (pledge, weather, calendar) We will start working on letter recognition, maybe I will use letter of the week?  I have all kinds of stuff so I am not really worried. 

My 4 year old will be learning kindergarten work.  I will use his older sisters workbooks and education.com to come up with what he should be learning. 

My 6 year old will be doing 1st grade work and I will use her older sisters workbooks to figure out what she needs to be learning and education.com and a few other websites to teach her.

I still do not have a math curriculum for my 7 year old for next year but if it comes down to it I will pay for ixl and figure things out.  We were given a suggestion for grammer lessons and I will probably use that.

For actual reading and Lit my younger 2 will work off of the classic childrens stories- The Three Billy Goats Gruff, Little Red Riding Hood, Hansel and Grettel and many more.

My older girls will be reading The Magic Tree House, The historical American Girl Series, and The Magic School Bus.  We will also use what we are reading to study history and Science.

Homeschooling Moms