Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Boobah
Planning for next year
by Boobah
January 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I purchased some curriculum to check out for next year, and am trying to decide if I want to use it or stick with the author we have.  Last year it took me MONTHS to plan (I was super pregnant, sick, and then had a newborn) so I am hoping it isn't the same this year.  My goal is to start early and be able to enjoy the summer.  

Anyone else planning for next year?  What grades/ages are you going to be homeschooling?   

Replies

• shamrock_momma
    February 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Just be aware that most hs curricula is NOT aligned with common core standards.

Rod and Staff is a solid, mastery based curriculum. No frills, lots of drill, very solid. If your boy needs colors and fun, I would look elsewhere; if he gets distracted by colors and frills and needs lots of drill, it's a good choice.

Their english is pretty (really) rigorous. Their math leans a bit behind, compared to other curricula on the market, but still solid. Since it is mastery based, they focus on one skill before starting another, until a student retains to a point of mastery; it is not a spiral program that introduces content incrementally, constantly reviewing previously learned concepts - you need to decide which he needs (mastery or spiral).

If you decide he needs spiral instead of mastery, CLE is similar (mennonite, no frills, no distractions). CLE is rigorous (even the math - very much so), but unlike Rod and Staff, the books are worktexts (textbooks that he can write directly in - Rod and Staff requires the student copy and work elsewhere).

Rod and Staff was a flop for my girl who enjoys math and prefers a spiral program.

Also, I've never heard anything positive about Rod and Staff (or CLE) science and history; I've heard great things about both in english and math, but everyone I know who uses those programs for skill subjects, uses other curricula for science and history.

Quoting shamrock_momma:

Sorry, I didn't mean to be confusing. I mean that I am choosing to go with Rod and Staff because my son is distracted easily and also because he is lacking the basic foundations of reading/phonics/writing from his time in public school. And so, I just want something basic and thorough and was hoping that someone had experience with R&S or had any other recommendations on curriculum for a figety boy that needs to improve his reading and writing skills.

And yes, I'm doing lots of planning for next year. I'm getting lists together of what he "should" be learning according to Common Core etc since that's really big in IN right now. I'm finding my planner, figuring out what curriculum, and trying to get organized. :)

Thanks for the tips. It's sounding more and more like Rod and Staff is for us. He distracts easily with colorful pictures and spiral programs. Though I hate labels, I believe he has some ADD tendencies.

I'm glad hs curriculums are not based off Common Core. I think it's stupid and a way to cheat our children of a better education. That said, my mother-in-law in a principle of a cathelic school that uses common core, and does not support our choice to homeschool. So, if I have copies of what c.c. requires, I can be prepared for any "But you know, he needs to know this...." kind of comments. :)

Thanks again! I really appreciate the input.

• KALmommy
    February 6, 2013 at 3:53 AM

I was looking at it after talking to you on this post and I actually think I am going to do core d+e too for the history/geography.  I think my son will still do Core F science and of course, he's doing 5th grade math and language arts. I think I like the single cores because it goes more into depth of the history but at the same time, it is a lot of reading and my kids sometimes get burnt out by February.  The combined core is still a lot of reading but it cuts it down somewhat. My kids are  at the exact same level in history so not a problem there for me and, the thing I like about history or science or art is that there is no real "grade" level like mathor literature.  You know what I mean?  We just withdrew from K12 for the same reason...I didn't have the control that I thought I would and that is essentially why I pulled them out (I apparently have an issue with authority).  My husband says the same thing about my oldest as well (he's 10) but I'd rather work with him and his attitude than to send him back and (in my opinion only here) "give up" on him.  I know that is not what my husband means but that is how I feel that I would portray this to my son.  Anyways, good luck and hope you enjoy SL if you get it.  I still am looking at both options so thanks for making me stop and think about it more :)

Quoting kittyfaery:

I was thinking about the US History, I think its d+e. I figure it won't be too hard to find books about different things in US history geared for younger ages that I can use for my middle son. I figured I can use it on him again the proper way when he is older. I still have to talk my husband into it. He wants to put my oldest back in public school because of his attitude about school work. We are doing independent study at a charter school right now and I don't have as much control over his work as I thought I would.

Quoting KALmommy:

I have done a combined core but tend to stick to separate cores.  The one combined that I did was World History (Core B/C) and it was okay because my daughter is an advanced reader.  But, my son is also an advanced reader so the books tended to be a little easy for him and that's when I decided to do separate cores.  My son is 10 as well and he will be doing Core F next year.  My daughter will be 8 when the school year starts and she will be doing Core D.  It costs more but again, for a lot of the readers I check my library, what I already have or buy them used.  I buy the IGs and the "consumables".  I would just look at the "readers" in each core and see if you could combine if you wanted.  Good luck!

Quoting kittyfaery:

A little off topic but I was wondering if you are using different cores for each child? I was looking into sonlight and I will have a 5th grader and 1st grader. They will be 10 and 6.

Quoting KALmommy:

I'm planning already.  I am going to be doing 5th, 3rd and Kindergarten (ages 10, 7 and 5).  I know I'm using Sonlight so really it is just a matter of me buying the books.  I buy certain things from SL but I will buy a lot of the "readers" used from Amazon as they are WAY cheaper.  So I just had a spreadsheet for each child, what books I needed as per the SL Instruction Guide (which I always buy from SL), what books I'm getting for math, science and language skills and then I mark if I am buying them off Amazon, Christianbookstore.com or Sonlight and the price.  Then as I get them I just mark them off.  I suffer from OCD so this may seem extreme but it works for me. 

• armygirl16
    February 6, 2013 at 5:40 AM
    Kindergarten. I just got my Sonlight catalog in the mail and it pushed me to finally decide on buying with them lol. I'll buy it probably in April or May and we will start Kindergarten in August!! Woohoo!
  • kittyfaery
    February 9, 2013 at 10:59 PM
    I was looking into it to try to put a plan together for my husband to talk him into doing it on our own. Right now, I am having a hard time because my kids are doing everything different. I like the idea of reading together and discussing things together. The way I was looking at it, I can combine the core this year and then the following years I can get them separate cores but on the same subject. Except it is probably all for nothing now. I hate the feeling we are giving up on my oldest but he starts school Monday. My husband had it with me being stressed and his attitude. Maybe I can still talk him into it for next year. I feel really sad about it. My middle son is still doing independent study though.

Quoting KALmommy:

I was looking at it after talking to you on this post and I actually think I am going to do core d+e too for the history/geography.  I think my son will still do Core F science and of course, he's doing 5th grade math and language arts. I think I like the single cores because it goes more into depth of the history but at the same time, it is a lot of reading and my kids sometimes get burnt out by February.  The combined core is still a lot of reading but it cuts it down somewhat. My kids are  at the exact same level in history so not a problem there for me and, the thing I like about history or science or art is that there is no real "grade" level like mathor literature.  You know what I mean?  We just withdrew from K12 for the same reason...I didn't have the control that I thought I would and that is essentially why I pulled them out (I apparently have an issue with authority).  My husband says the same thing about my oldest as well (he's 10) but I'd rather work with him and his attitude than to send him back and (in my opinion only here) "give up" on him.  I know that is not what my husband means but that is how I feel that I would portray this to my son.  Anyways, good luck and hope you enjoy SL if you get it.  I still am looking at both options so thanks for making me stop and think about it more :)

Quoting kittyfaery:

I was thinking about the US History, I think its d+e. I figure it won't be too hard to find books about different things in US history geared for younger ages that I can use for my middle son. I figured I can use it on him again the proper way when he is older. I still have to talk my husband into it. He wants to put my oldest back in public school because of his attitude about school work. We are doing independent study at a charter school right now and I don't have as much control over his work as I thought I would.

Quoting KALmommy:

I have done a combined core but tend to stick to separate cores.  The one combined that I did was World History (Core B/C) and it was okay because my daughter is an advanced reader.  But, my son is also an advanced reader so the books tended to be a little easy for him and that's when I decided to do separate cores.  My son is 10 as well and he will be doing Core F next year.  My daughter will be 8 when the school year starts and she will be doing Core D.  It costs more but again, for a lot of the readers I check my library, what I already have or buy them used.  I buy the IGs and the "consumables".  I would just look at the "readers" in each core and see if you could combine if you wanted.  Good luck!

Quoting kittyfaery:

A little off topic but I was wondering if you are using different cores for each child? I was looking into sonlight and I will have a 5th grader and 1st grader. They will be 10 and 6.

Quoting KALmommy:

I'm planning already.  I am going to be doing 5th, 3rd and Kindergarten (ages 10, 7 and 5).  I know I'm using Sonlight so really it is just a matter of me buying the books.  I buy certain things from SL but I will buy a lot of the "readers" used from Amazon as they are WAY cheaper.  So I just had a spreadsheet for each child, what books I needed as per the SL Instruction Guide (which I always buy from SL), what books I'm getting for math, science and language skills and then I mark if I am buying them off Amazon, Christianbookstore.com or Sonlight and the price.  Then as I get them I just mark them off.  I suffer from OCD so this may seem extreme but it works for me. 

• KALmommy
    February 13, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Don't feel like you are giving up on your oldest.  He may just need to be put in public school for a little bit (or a longer bit).  He will either thrive or he will realize that he was doing better at home and maybe his attitude will change but it will work out.  Hang in there!!

Quoting kittyfaery:

I was looking into it to try to put a plan together for my husband to talk him into doing it on our own. Right now, I am having a hard time because my kids are doing everything different. I like the idea of reading together and discussing things together. The way I was looking at it, I can combine the core this year and then the following years I can get them separate cores but on the same subject. Except it is probably all for nothing now. I hate the feeling we are giving up on my oldest but he starts school Monday. My husband had it with me being stressed and his attitude. Maybe I can still talk him into it for next year. I feel really sad about it. My middle son is still doing independent study though.

Quoting KALmommy:

Quoting kittyfaery:

Quoting KALmommy:

Quoting kittyfaery:

Quoting KALmommy:

• aneela
    by aneela
    February 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM

yes i already have most of the core subject books for First Grade...going with A Beka for now

• aneela
    by aneela
    February 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

but depending on how my son is doing will supplement with other things or change it up....i like the freedom and flexibility of that with homeschooling

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 15, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    Me too!

Quoting aneela:

but depending on how my son is doing will supplement with other things or change it up....i like the freedom and flexibility of that with homeschooling

• lifesadream83
    February 17, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I just ordered my curriculum for next year!  I did the sick prgnancy this year luckily after i had our curriculum planned.  I now have a 2 month old with acid reflux who only wants to be held and only by me so we are just now finding a grove.  It took ,e a month to finalize what i was buying from where (pricing) but i finally succeeded and everything should be here by the end of the week except for a few backordered items!

• lifesadream83
    February 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM

check out rainbow resources i get most of our sl books there normally cheaper than amazon 

Quoting KALmommy:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN