Homeschooling Moms

Boobah
Planning for next year
by Boobah
January 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I purchased some curriculum to check out for next year, and am trying to decide if I want to use it or stick with the author we have.  Last year it took me MONTHS to plan (I was super pregnant, sick, and then had a newborn) so I am hoping it isn't the same this year.  My goal is to start early and be able to enjoy the summer.  

Anyone else planning for next year?  What grades/ages are you going to be homeschooling?   

Replies

• kirbymom
    January 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I never plan ahead of time.  Oh I try, and try....and try. I just never am able to accomplish it. So, if I am working on it, I do not get worried about not finishing it since I am good at coming from behind and getting it done as it is needed. 

• TigerofMu
    January 31, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I am always planning and researching :).  Sometimes I have to trim it down, because I want to do EVERYTHING! :)

• denmomof3
    January 31, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I'm planning for next year for my daughter who will be in the 7th grade.  Next year she will be taking Language Arts, Life Science, our State's History, Math, PE, Spanish and another elective which we are still trying to decide.

We will more than likely use the following for her core classes although I am still undecided about Math.

Language Arts:  Time4Learning (Language Arts/Language Arts Extensions) supplemented with some writing and extra reading/literature

Math:  A very inexpensive textbook I purchsed through Amazon - 7th grade text through Glencoe McGraw-Hill Mathematics textbooks (Cosmeo.com has some lessons to go along with this textbook).  My other alternative is Teaching Textbooks.

Life Science:  I purchased a Life Science textbook through Amazon and the publisher is Christian Schools International.

History: State Text

I want my daughter to have a combination of online/computer and textbooks.  I don't want her to be totally dependent on the computer.

• kittyfaery
    February 2, 2013 at 12:20 PM
    I was thinking about the US History, I think its d+e. I figure it won't be too hard to find books about different things in US history geared for younger ages that I can use for my middle son. I figured I can use it on him again the proper way when he is older. I still have to talk my husband into it. He wants to put my oldest back in public school because of his attitude about school work. We are doing independent study at a charter school right now and I don't have as much control over his work as I thought I would.

Quoting KALmommy:

I have done a combined core but tend to stick to separate cores.  The one combined that I did was World History (Core B/C) and it was okay because my daughter is an advanced reader.  But, my son is also an advanced reader so the books tended to be a little easy for him and that's when I decided to do separate cores.  My son is 10 as well and he will be doing Core F next year.  My daughter will be 8 when the school year starts and she will be doing Core D.  It costs more but again, for a lot of the readers I check my library, what I already have or buy them used.  I buy the IGs and the "consumables".  I would just look at the "readers" in each core and see if you could combine if you wanted.  Good luck!

Quoting kittyfaery:

A little off topic but I was wondering if you are using different cores for each child? I was looking into sonlight and I will have a 5th grader and 1st grader. They will be 10 and 6.

Quoting KALmommy:

I'm planning already.  I am going to be doing 5th, 3rd and Kindergarten (ages 10, 7 and 5).  I know I'm using Sonlight so really it is just a matter of me buying the books.  I buy certain things from SL but I will buy a lot of the "readers" used from Amazon as they are WAY cheaper.  So I just had a spreadsheet for each child, what books I needed as per the SL Instruction Guide (which I always buy from SL), what books I'm getting for math, science and language skills and then I mark if I am buying them off Amazon, Christianbookstore.com or Sonlight and the price.  Then as I get them I just mark them off.  I suffer from OCD so this may seem extreme but it works for me. 

• shamrock_momma
    February 3, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    I'm already planning. This was our first hearing homeschooling and it has taken forever to find our rhythm, but i think we are finally on track. I have decided to use Rod ans Staff for my third grader to be. I think he needs less distraction and a stronger foundation before moving on to anything else. thoughts?
  • Boobah
    by Boobah
    February 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM
    I do not have any experience with rod and staff, I apologize. But can you elaborate a bit and we can try to help? Do you just mean you want to stay with rod and staff because he doesn't have it down yet and you don't want to mix it up/confuse him?

Quoting shamrock_momma:

I'm already planning. This was our first hearing homeschooling and it has taken forever to find our rhythm, but i think we are finally on track. I have decided to use Rod ans Staff for my third grader to be. I think he needs less distraction and a stronger foundation before moving on to anything else. thoughts?
  • Mommy2Phenley
    February 4, 2013 at 2:09 AM
    Yes I've been planning for a while. DD will be 5. We'll be doing:
    Sonlight p4/5
    HWT K
    Singapore 1 and maybe miquon as well.
    Building thinking skills primary
    Extra science-DK first encyclopedias (body and space) and magic school bus experiment kits.
    Phonics/reading - depends where she is. We'll continue with hooked on phonics for now. Not sure what we'll move to when she finishes that.
  • CrimsonRadiance
    February 4, 2013 at 2:13 AM
    Already planning, but doesn't honestly take too much planning. We use switched on schoolhouse, it pretty much comes ready to go.

Next year (well, we usually start in July.. so later this year) I will have a 6th grader (he will be 10), a 3rd grader (he will be 8) and a 1st grader (he turns 5 this Saturday!).
  • shamrock_momma
    February 4, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Sorry, I didn't mean to be confusing. I mean that I am choosing to go with Rod and Staff because my son is distracted easily and also because he is lacking the basic foundations of reading/phonics/writing from his time in public school. And so, I just want something basic and thorough and was hoping that someone had experience with R&S or had any other recommendations on curriculum for a figety boy that needs to improve his reading and writing skills.

And yes, I'm doing lots of planning for next year. I'm getting lists together of what he "should" be learning according to Common Core etc since that's really big in IN right now. I'm finding my planner, figuring out what curriculum, and trying to get organized. :)

• AutymsMommy
    February 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Just be aware that most hs curricula is NOT aligned with common core standards.

Rod and Staff is a solid, mastery based curriculum. No frills, lots of drill, very solid. If your boy needs colors and fun, I would look elsewhere; if he gets distracted by colors and frills and needs lots of drill, it's a good choice.

Their english is pretty (really) rigorous. Their math leans a bit behind, compared to other curricula on the market, but still solid. Since it is mastery based, they focus on one skill before starting another, until a student retains to a point of mastery; it is not a spiral program that introduces content incrementally, constantly reviewing previously learned concepts - you need to decide which he needs (mastery or spiral).

If you decide he needs spiral instead of mastery, CLE is similar (mennonite, no frills, no distractions). CLE is rigorous (even the math - very much so), but unlike Rod and Staff, the books are worktexts (textbooks that he can write directly in - Rod and Staff requires the student copy and work elsewhere).

Rod and Staff was a flop for my girl who enjoys math and prefers a spiral program.

Also, I've never heard anything positive about Rod and Staff (or CLE) science and history; I've heard great things about both in english and math, but everyone I know who uses those programs for skill subjects, uses other curricula for science and history.

Quoting shamrock_momma:

Sorry, I didn't mean to be confusing. I mean that I am choosing to go with Rod and Staff because my son is distracted easily and also because he is lacking the basic foundations of reading/phonics/writing from his time in public school. And so, I just want something basic and thorough and was hoping that someone had experience with R&S or had any other recommendations on curriculum for a figety boy that needs to improve his reading and writing skills.

And yes, I'm doing lots of planning for next year. I'm getting lists together of what he "should" be learning according to Common Core etc since that's really big in IN right now. I'm finding my planner, figuring out what curriculum, and trying to get organized. :)

Homeschooling Moms