Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Boobah
Planning for next year
by Boobah
January 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I purchased some curriculum to check out for next year, and am trying to decide if I want to use it or stick with the author we have.  Last year it took me MONTHS to plan (I was super pregnant, sick, and then had a newborn) so I am hoping it isn't the same this year.  My goal is to start early and be able to enjoy the summer.  

Anyone else planning for next year?  What grades/ages are you going to be homeschooling?   

Replies

• starbeck96
    January 29, 2013 at 10:37 PM
    I will have two 10th graders and a first grader. I am planning on buying the majority of our curriculum when we get our taxes back so IT am already planning. I will be using Abeka for my 1stgrader. I may pick up some other stuff for extra practice and for bible, since I can't afford abeka's bible curriculum, but her main curriculum will be abeka.

My boys, the tenth graders, will be using a mix of curriculum. We are going to use ACE for biology, sine they offer a lab DVD at a decent price. I am hoping to do both Algebra 2 and Geometry this year. We will probably use Abeka for Algebra 2 and Math U See for geometry since the teacher kit comes with DVD, and I stink in geometry..lol. We are using Lifepac for Language Arts and probably History as well. I am also probably going to let them take Composition since they need help with writing skills.

I really want them to take a dave ramsey course also, but not sure if we will have tne extra money or not.

• starbeck96
    January 29, 2013 at 10:41 PM
    Quoting KALmommy:

I'm planning already.  I am going to be doing 5th, 3rd and Kindergarten (ages 10, 7 and 5).  I know I'm using Sonlight so really it is just a matter of me buying the books.  I buy certain things from SL but I will buy a lot of the "readers" used from Amazon as they are WAY cheaper.  So I just had a spreadsheet for each child, what books I needed as per the SL Instruction Guide (which I always buy from SL), what books I'm getting for math, science and language skills and then I mark if I am buying them off Amazon, Christianbookstore.com or Sonlight and the price.  Then as I get them I just mark them off.  I suffer from OCD so this may seem extreme but it works for me. 

I don't use sonlight, but this is exactly how I do my curriculum. I don't have one specific curriculum I use though. I type up things we are interested in with the prices from all the places I see them.
  • somuchlove4U
    January 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM
    Next year is 7th grade for us. We are going with Abeka.
  • KALmommy
    January 30, 2013 at 12:59 AM

I have done a combined core but tend to stick to separate cores.  The one combined that I did was World History (Core B/C) and it was okay because my daughter is an advanced reader.  But, my son is also an advanced reader so the books tended to be a little easy for him and that's when I decided to do separate cores.  My son is 10 as well and he will be doing Core F next year.  My daughter will be 8 when the school year starts and she will be doing Core D.  It costs more but again, for a lot of the readers I check my library, what I already have or buy them used.  I buy the IGs and the "consumables".  I would just look at the "readers" in each core and see if you could combine if you wanted.  Good luck!

Quoting kittyfaery:

A little off topic but I was wondering if you are using different cores for each child? I was looking into sonlight and I will have a 5th grader and 1st grader. They will be 10 and 6.

Quoting KALmommy:

I'm planning already.  I am going to be doing 5th, 3rd and Kindergarten (ages 10, 7 and 5).  I know I'm using Sonlight so really it is just a matter of me buying the books.  I buy certain things from SL but I will buy a lot of the "readers" used from Amazon as they are WAY cheaper.  So I just had a spreadsheet for each child, what books I needed as per the SL Instruction Guide (which I always buy from SL), what books I'm getting for math, science and language skills and then I mark if I am buying them off Amazon, Christianbookstore.com or Sonlight and the price.  Then as I get them I just mark them off.  I suffer from OCD so this may seem extreme but it works for me. 

• KALmommy
    January 30, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting KALmommy:

I don't use sonlight, but this is exactly how I do my curriculum. I don't have one specific curriculum I use though. I type up things we are interested in with the prices from all the places I see them.

I think it's the easiest way to do it and keep it the most economical.  Homeschooling is not cheap so I find the best prices I can!  I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this though!  My husband thinks I'm crazy :)

• BraydensMama163
    January 30, 2013 at 1:08 AM
    I decided to go all Charlotte mason for the next school year. We will be moving to a bigger place soon and until we have a baby the spare bedroom will be our classroom.
    We have nearly zero supplies now so I will be buying a lot of supplies when taxes are in and I will buy k 1st grade and 2nd grade books.

Btw if anyone is interessed in Charlotte Mason Amazon apps has her complete 6 book series on orininal homeschooling onsale for the kindle app for. 99 cents.
    I will be buying it and reading it over the summer break. But we wont actually be taking a break. We will continue our studies year round.
  • starbeck96
    January 30, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    Quoting KALmommy:

It can get expensive. The boys will be in 10th and my daughter will be in first. Thankfully a lady from our church told me that she has all the abeka stuff from k-12th grade. She is gonna let me have all the stuff for my daughter. So, the only thing I will have to buy are her workbooks, this is definitely going to help our budget.

• DesireMM
    January 30, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I started planning this week. I will have a 2nd, 4th and 5th grader.

• NYCitymomx3
    January 30, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I'm totally planning already.  Ds will be 12 and in 7th grade.  

We'll be using Saxon 8/7 for Math, Lightning Lit 7 for English, and Sequential Spelling 2 for more word practice (ds has issues with visual processing).  Writing will be focused on his interests and from the heart, rather than regimented and formulaic. 

We're most likely not going to bother using a history or science program.  We do best when we wing it.  The plan is to follow the 7th grade worldbook.com course of study topics with reading, projects, mapwork, documentaries, & field trips.  

Ds will be in a youth choir, a theater class, and a religious education class.  We also go to the gym a few times a week.  

• ColtsFan1912
    January 30, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I'm already planning. My son will be doing first grade & my daughter will be doing Tot School again but a bit more intensive.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts