Homeschooling Moms

rsrangel
Do you get overwhelmed?
January 29, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Soon I'll be graduating and will able to focus on homeschooling without my own homework haunting me.  I'm so excited!!!  However, I'm really nervous about having 4 kids at home on all different levels, instead of 2.  I'm leaning towards child-led learning but am not ready to completely dive in.  But either way, with child-led learning parents are very involved which might get overwhelming with 4 kids interested in 4 different things, and with a structured curriculum I've still got 4 kids on different levels!  I'm aware that things can be combined, but I'm nervous that it will still be completely overwhelming, especially with 1 severe ADHD child non-medicated.   And lets not forget the endless laundry, messy house, and endless cooking.  Does anyone else get overwhelmed with lots of kids at home? 

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    January 29, 2013 at 4:34 PM
    Yes!!!
    I've got 3 boys at 3 different levels with 3 different learning styles. Plus we've got a homestead to run...ie goats to milk, canning to do, cheese to make, etc. So yeah I get overwhelmed. I have little notes all over that say things like this too shall pass, let go and let God, take each day one minute at a time....
    And when things get really tough, I come here. There are some wonderful women here who have a great calming effect!
    You'll be great. Your kids will learn. Your house will get cleaned or your standards for clean will go down...just kidding...well kind of.
    Hugs! You can do this!
  • coala
    by coala
    January 29, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Yeah!!!  I lost it last night.  I have been asking for help b/c we are supposed to be in this together.  All he does when I ask for help is give me "new suggestions" to make my life easier.  Well someone has to implement those ideas, and that someone is me.  I was yelling and screaming b/c I didn't want new ideas, I wanted HELP!!!  Today, things are better since we talked it out.  I'm still not sure that I will be getting the help that I needed, but I got it off my chest.  I can tell you that I might feel less overwhelmed if my BFF was still in town.  I could atleast call her and go out to lunch to vent and feel better when I come back.

Feeling overwhelmed just happens to be part of the journey and we all have to get through it.  I do like Blueroofs mantra of the stickies all over the house with the little sayings.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    January 29, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I only have two boys and I still get overwhelmed sometimes.  Last night I was doing housework at midnight.  I was so far behind and never got around to it during the day.  Well my son gets out of bed and tells how good everything works.  He then asks if he can mop for me.  My kids make everything worth it.  I know a lot of moms do so much more than just homeschooling.  We do it all for our children and in the end they make everything worth all our efforts.

• debramommyof4
    January 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Yes.  I homeschool a 7 year old that is working at a mix of 1st and 2nd grade, a kindergartener that is working at a k, 1st grade, a 2 preschoolers- 1 working at a preschool/ kinder grade, 1 just at preschool level and a toddler who is 2 and learning at her own speed but definately faster than her brother who is working at a preschool level.  I also have all the mess to clean up and plan for that comes with them.

• BramblePatch
    January 30, 2013 at 12:14 AM
    I only have 2 kids at home but I am a single mom so yes, I get overwhelmed sometimes.
  • KickButtMama
    January 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I think everyone - no matter how many kids are there, no matter the learning style - can experience being overwhelmed. We put so much importance on every little aspect of HS. When I begin to get overwhelmed, I usually take a couple of days off with zero learning aside from life. Then I'm ready to jump back in wth both feet!

• kirbymom
    January 30, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Yes! Absolutely.

I do the very same thing. 

Quoting KickButtMama:

I think everyone - no matter how many kids are there, no matter the learning style - can experience being overwhelmed. We put so much importance on every little aspect of HS.

When I begin to get overwhelmed,

I usually take a couple of days off with zero learning aside from life. Then I'm ready to jump back in wth both feet!

• Mommyfish831
    January 30, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I'm kind of in the same boat.  I will be homeschooling my kids at the end of this school year and unschooling is what I'm starting with or at least that's the idea.  I know I want to help them get the reading writhing and math down because those are the basic things they need to get by in life and as their mom I think it's my obligation to make sure they get at least the basics in life.  I still don't know if I really want to use a curriculum for that though, there are lots of ways to teach these things with out traditional school teaching.  So idk if that would be eclectic.  But I'm feeling overwhelmed too.  I am letting them finish out the year for 2 reasons, first so I have time to prepare and two I want my kids to learn that they need to finish what they start.  I know they didn't start it but I want then to understand following through until you're done with the obligation at hand, if that makes sense.  And the great thing about unschooling is getting your kids involved in every aspect of their daily life, so all the laundry, house work and cooking are learning experiences for them.  You can do it!!!  Keep your head up :)

• Ruthmom802
    January 30, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I get overwhelmed with ONE child at home. ; )

You'll do fine. It will take some time to get into the swing of a different routine, but I know you'll do just fine. 

I've known women who had 13 children and homeschooled. Their kids turned out OUTSTANDING!!!!! God has given you all the grace and strength you need...just reach out and take it. 

• Mommynay2
    January 31, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    I am overwhelmed. My Mom is in the hospital and doesn't know anyone, she isn't talking that much, she hums when you ask a question and once in a while she says, "With God's help." I can't see her because I can't bring my kids in. My Dad has no financial knowledge so I'm trying to help him with writing checks. I'm trying to stick with the routine of homeschooling and the routine for my ds so he can function properly. Trying to keep up with my house. I feel like I'm being stretched in all directions. My ds had an outburst last night thinking my Mom doesn't care about him. I would feel guilty taking some days out. It's hard right now. I'm trying to be strong and positive but I can't help thinking the worst about my Mom. I'm a single Mom and my parents were the only support I have. I don't talk to really anyone offline. I definitely know I'm overwhelmed big time.

Homeschooling Moms