Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
earthy_dragon
Advice needed please!!!
January 29, 2013 at 8:56 AM

OT completely: I have a question - I am officially starting homeschooling on Monday - but I am going to have to bring up the subject with my ex husband. He isn't on the supportive side of homeschooling - and sees nothing wrong with the public school system. Which he has never been involved in schools like I have. What are some of the best ways to get someone to understand that this is what could honestly be best for the child. Thank you in advance!!!

Replies

• cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    January 29, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    Can he fight you for making this decision? Show him test scores for your area. Articles showing that area schools are failing the kids.
  • earthy_dragon
    January 29, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Legally he can't fight me on the issue.  I want to let him know what we will be doing, I would like to have some hard background evidence of how great homeschooling can be for a child.  

Quoting cjsmom1:

Can he fight you for making this decision? Show him test scores for your area. Articles showing that area schools are failing the kids.

• cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    January 29, 2013 at 9:28 AM
    I think showing the negatives in your area public schools will be a huge help. Also, go on Google and look for studies on homeschooling. The one on one attention is great for any child.

Quoting earthy_dragon:

Legally he can't fight me on the issue.  I want to let him know what we will be doing, I would like to have some hard background evidence of how great homeschooling can be for a child.  

Quoting cjsmom1:

• ScarletRose4488
    January 29, 2013 at 9:38 AM

My suggestion is to use a full- uriculum program so he can see there is teachers behind it and not just you .   But if you can not go that route then I think if you made up a list of what you are going to use.... books, websites, ect. and set specefic goals by quarter & year you would have something concrete at least to show him.   You can also offer to update him weekly (by email probably) so that he can see the progress.   I think it will go over much better if he feels he has some say - even if you don't listen.  

You may also make ground if you tell him that you would be happy to supplement your curriculum with a program he purchases.   It sounds like if you put responsibility on him it will just fizzle out. 

• earthy_dragon
    January 29, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I know he won't take up on buying supplies, he will leave that all to us.  Which is fine with me and the my family.  Thank you for the advice... 

Quoting ScarletRose4488:

My suggestion is to use a full- uriculum program so he can see there is teachers behind it and not just you .   But if you can not go that route then I think if you made up a list of what you are going to use.... books, websites, ect. and set specefic goals by quarter & year you would have something concrete at least to show him.   You can also offer to update him weekly (by email probably) so that he can see the progress.   I think it will go over much better if he feels he has some say - even if you don't listen.  

You may also make ground if you tell him that you would be happy to supplement your curriculum with a program he purchases.   It sounds like if you put responsibility on him it will just fizzle out. 

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    January 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM
  • kirbymom
    January 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Hi. :)  Welcome.  :)  

If you don't have to worry that he will try and stop you, then you just need to gather information on homeschooling and show him cases in point that he can see with his own view that it can be a positive influence for his child(ren).  You should do a search for famous people in History that have been homeschooled and you should ask him to look around at the children of the neighborhood and ask him if he would like his child(ren) emulating that type of behavior?  I would also show him an example itinerary of what you will be doing when you homeschool. Tell him that if he'd like, this could just be a trial for the school year. That if it doesn't work out, that you will be looking for a better solution.  

• KrissyKC
    January 29, 2013 at 12:58 PM

If he cannot legally deny your decision, then why bother?  If he's against it, he's going to be against it regardless of what you say.

It's better sometimes to just be a broken record.

"I'm making this decision in the best interest of the kids."

"Thank you for your concern, but I'm making this decision in the best interest of the kids.."

"Yes, I understand your opinion, but I'm making this decision in the best interest of the kids."

Eventually, he'll give up.

• KrissyKC
    January 29, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I say that above because I've tried to talk to anti homeschoolers in our family and it always falls on deaf ears.

• earthy_dragon
    January 29, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Thank you ladies, this all will help greatly.  I will probably be composing the email for awhile before actually sending it.  The one nice thing I can do since he does not live locally, he lives in MO.  Plus one of my added bonuses, is that we won't have to live off the public school calender when it comes to his visitation time.  As long as he get 's his work done.  =)  

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts