usmom3
Why Homeschooling is Becoming Hipster
by usmom3
BJ
January 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Jan 28, 2013

Who knew? My parents are cool. Homeschooling is becoming hipster. Celebrity parents like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie proudly discuss their homeschooling lifestyle. But pioneers like my parents set the trend of educational freedom.

The plan was to send me to public school. My mother enjoyed her job as an R.N. and was not bored. She was simply a creative rebel. And my father encouraged her to pioneer-because he believed in freedom.

My mother is a rebel with her own style. She once told me: "I never wanted to be like anyone else. I always did my own thing. But my girlfriends would copy my artwork and my clothes. I would get a new outfit, and they would go out and buy the same outfit. I was happy when I could eventually sew my own clothes and they couldn't copy me. But when they copied my artwork, it irritated me." My grandmother told her: "When they copy you, it is the highest form of flattery."

My mother designed, sewed, modeled and won fashion awards for her clothes. Her parents could not afford to buy drawing paper so she innovatively recycled newspaper to sketch her designs. Click for the rest.

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    January 29, 2013 at 10:49 AM

pretty good article!

• kirbymom
    January 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM

A thoughtful insight to people's views on homeschooling. It's not often that you get to see that happen.  Thanks for sharing this with us. :) 

• bluerooffarm
    January 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM
    Thank goodness I can start quoting judge Napolitano instead of derrick Jensen. The former is a cool fiscal conservative to the republicans in DhS family whereas the latter is a crazy anarchist! :-)
  • tnt-manda
    January 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    Awesome article! Love seeing homeschooling get some praise for a change.
  • KickButtMama
    January 30, 2013 at 1:53 PM

LOL, what a relief! But I've always been seen as a unique rebel as well.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN