Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
rsrangel
Full-time RV living and roadschooling
January 28, 2013 at 10:44 AM

We seriously want to do this.  It's been our crazy dream for years now to give it all up and live in an RV full-time, traveling, care-free, exploring our world, "roadschooling" the kids.  We go between wanting to live in an RV to wanting to live in a houseboat lol.  Of course money is the biggest issue....how would we support ourselves?  Does anyone have any crazy dreams that you feel are just beyond your reach?

Replies

• AllofFive19
    January 29, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Sounds awesome.

Quoting aldmom0408:

I have been living your dream for 6 years. My hubby is a weld inspector and works in refineries all over the us and its territories... We have a 5 slide, 2 bedroom ,2 bath camper that we live in 10 months out of the year and a house where we are from that family keeps up for us. Hubby works in 1 place for anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 months then we usually get a break and go home for 2 weeks or less( usually less)... It's fun. The kids have friends from all over. Definitely makes u.s. geography easier to teach when they have been to well over half of the states...

• faeriemom1972
    January 30, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Until I was 13, my mother and I would leave the country every January and travel until about May. I have good but vague memories. Now, I hate moving. I'm a total nester. I love a good day trip, but that's about it. 

• somuchlove4U
    January 30, 2013 at 12:35 AM
    Your biggest expense really would be the plane tickets. Train travel is real easy and there's cheap hotels every where.

Quoting No_Difference:

I've always wanted to take the kids backpacking around Europe and go on the most awesome field trips every and learn things like mastering a n instrument in the countries they were created in by people who have mastered them lol.  *sigh* I know it will never happen tho lol. There's that whole pesky money thing again...and actually getting to Europe would be helpful lol

• fallenangel_353
    January 30, 2013 at 8:13 AM

So funny, my husband and I are about to do this :) His job travels a lot, and sometimes it is hard to rent places due to leases and such. We are in the midst of purchasing a new truck and RV as we speak! I cant wait :) I think you will love it, we done this before we had kids for 2 yrs and had a blast! We can support ourselves though because of dh's job. He can literally work anywhere. As a matter of fact he just got a job offer in Santiago, Chile that we thought about taking. It's still up in the air though.

• elizabooks
    January 30, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    My DH and I want to run off into the woods. He wants to go to michigans upper peninsula, while I want the Nc mountains. We want to have a combination religious boarding school and animal rescue. He is thinking wolves and I want. Well to be honest I want wolves too, but will settle for dogs. But we need 50 acres for this and a lot more cash.
  • Channell07
    January 30, 2013 at 10:11 AM

We have talked about doing this for a year.  My DH is a Union Electrician so he would sign books as we entered towns and work from there for short calls (1-3 weeks) and then we would move on.  I would like to but we own our home and have 3 large dogs.  If only we could find someone to rent the house I would be willing to travel with the dogs. LOL

• LindeeS
    by LindeeS
    January 30, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Our dream is really similar to yours.  My husband and I both worked crazy jobs for the last ten years, long hours and loads of stress.  When our daughter was born last May I went down to part time and I only work one day a week now and am home with our two kids the rest of the time.  Since then we've been trying to simplify our lives in many ways.  We sold a car and plan on sharing one for awhile, I got rid of my cell phone and cable went about a year ago.  We would like to move to a tiny, eco efficient home with low expenses so we can travel.  For a long time I gave up the dream thinking we wouldn't make enough money to have a family and be able to travel, now we're just modifying the rest of our lives to make the dreams possible.  Goodbye Louis Vuitton and salon appointments, hello world!

• frugalmomoftwo
    January 30, 2013 at 9:19 PM
    Hello we as a 4 person family moved out of our 3bedroom in to a bunk house r.v and we love it. The only this g we are not travling around but boy it has brought us closer togeather as a family and we save so much money and got our fa.leg back on track. We are in the middle of our 2nd year and have not looked back:) oh and we have 2 rabbits (out side) cat. Dog and a small turtal.
  • KickButtMama
    January 30, 2013 at 10:29 PM

It was the same with me. I was an engineer working insane hours till I gave birth.then I  realized all those material trappings weren't worth as much to me as being with my baby. Sometimes I miss the income, but honestly I didn't become any more or less stressed with or without the job. Now I just have different stresses...lol

Quoting LindeeS:

Our dream is really similar to yours.  My husband and I both worked crazy jobs for the last ten years, long hours and loads of stress.  When our daughter was born last May I went down to part time and I only work one day a week now and am home with our two kids the rest of the time.  Since then we've been trying to simplify our lives in many ways.  We sold a car and plan on sharing one for awhile, I got rid of my cell phone and cable went about a year ago.  We would like to move to a tiny, eco efficient home with low expenses so we can travel.  For a long time I gave up the dream thinking we wouldn't make enough money to have a family and be able to travel, now we're just modifying the rest of our lives to make the dreams possible.  Goodbye Louis Vuitton and salon appointments, hello world!

• KickButtMama
    January 30, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Huh, when DH graduated from his HVAC school I thought of doing the same...but apparently he can't work in the field outside his own state.hed have to go through the full 18 month certification course for every new state he wanted to work in. Major bummer!

Quoting Channell07:

We have talked about doing this for a year.  My DH is a Union Electrician so he would sign books as we entered towns and work from there for short calls (1-3 weeks) and then we would move on.  I would like to but we own our home and have 3 large dogs.  If only we could find someone to rent the house I would be willing to travel with the dogs. LOL

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts