Homeschooling Moms

rsrangel
Full-time RV living and roadschooling
January 28, 2013 at 10:44 AM

We seriously want to do this.  It's been our crazy dream for years now to give it all up and live in an RV full-time, traveling, care-free, exploring our world, "roadschooling" the kids.  We go between wanting to live in an RV to wanting to live in a houseboat lol.  Of course money is the biggest issue....how would we support ourselves?  Does anyone have any crazy dreams that you feel are just beyond your reach?

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    January 29, 2013 at 11:25 AM

wheres the blog!!! sounds like a good one to read and use as a resource for geography!

Quoting mjp2707:

My brother in law and his wife are backpacking the world. She is a published writer. Her blog is called "So many places". Most of her first entries are detailing how they got to the point where they could travel. The blog has made the a
    List of must read travel blogs for two years in a row.

• mjp2707
    by mjp2707
    January 29, 2013 at 11:37 AM
    http://www.so-many-places.com/

We actually base our lesson off of where they are in the world. We were able to do a very detailed south America study, and we are having fun doing India now.

Quoting oredeb:

wheres the blog!!! sounds like a good one to read and use as a resource for geography!

Quoting mjp2707:

My brother in law and his wife are backpacking the world. She is a published writer. Her blog is called "So many places". Most of her first entries are detailing how they got to the point where they could travel. The blog has made the a

• kirbymom
    January 29, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I have lived the RV, roadschooling life!  It's an awesome way to live.  The only reason we stopped was because our kids begged us to. They said that they wanted to have their own rooms and a backyard. We told them fine we will do that, but they will come back to us and ask if they could go back to Rv'ing soon after they would get settled. Well, low and behold, that is exactly what happened. lol  But now, it's much harder to get back to that kind of living since I have also had 2 more kids and put all of our money into a grounded home life. 

• kirbymom
    January 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Point me to their blog Please!!???!!!!  lol :)   

Quoting mjp2707:

• buzymom93
    January 29, 2013 at 1:22 PM

i would love to live in an rv and travel all over the place and "carschool"  lol.. but could never afford to do it..

• mjp2707
    by mjp2707
    January 29, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    http://www.so-many-places.com

Sorry cant make it clicky mobile

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting mjp2707:

• kirbymom
    January 29, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Thank You . And it is clicky too. :)    I am headed over to their page right now.  

Quoting mjp2707:

http://www.so-many-places.com

Sorry cant make it clicky mobile

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting mjp2707:

• calimom1123
    January 29, 2013 at 1:43 PM
    I was thinking of this just yesterday. My dh just got laid off again and rent is not gonna be easy to pay! My mom has a 36ft rv w/3 slideouts,very nice, so I was thinking mabe we should store all our stuff and just live in an rv. Its alot cheaper and we could actually save momey for once until dh gets a job. Its just a thought though im not sure I would actually want to do that.
  • aldmom0408
    January 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM
    I have been living your dream for 6 years. My hubby is a weld inspector and works in refineries all over the us and its territories... We have a 5 slide, 2 bedroom ,2 bath camper that we live in 10 months out of the year and a house where we are from that family keeps up for us. Hubby works in 1 place for anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 months then we usually get a break and go home for 2 weeks or less( usually less)... It's fun. The kids have friends from all over. Definitely makes u.s. geography easier to teach when they have been to well over half of the states...
  • AllofFive19
    January 29, 2013 at 5:13 PM

To support yourself you would have to have a decent savings, and then take odd jobs here and there to support yourself in the meantime. You would always live in the RV so you would only have to pay rent space, if that (you can find free places to park your RV, but you might not have electricity).

Homeschooling Moms