Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
rsrangel
SOLD!
January 27, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I've been curious about unschooling for a loooooong time, but have never taken the time to learn the truth about it until another poster created the unschooling post and I started asking questions.  After asking questions I decided to do my own research, and what I am discovering is that unschooling is EXACTLY what we are so drawn to do in our house!  I have curriculum, but the kids find it so boring and I'm constantly looking for ways to make it fun, but sometimes I still pull teeth to get them to do it.  Most of their math book we haven't even used because I've found ways to teach them these concepts without giving them worksheets.  I'm coming to realize that with child-led learning, they will in fact learn everything they need to succed in life, if not more, and they will do it in a way that allows them to love learning.  I know it will take time to calm my fears about them missing something important, but I'm sure as I see them become more interested in learning, these fears will cease.   So basically, the point of this post......I'm SOLD!  We'll definitly try it for awhile and see if it sticks completely or atleast continue partially like we do now.  In my interest I started researching about it and came across some great articles explaining it.  I definitly wouldn't consider myself an expert in the subject since I'm just now deciding to give unschooling/child-led learning an official try, so if anyone sees anything they feel conflicts with their beliefs, speak up! 

One of my biggest concerns was how unschoolers go to college.  Here is a great article from a college professor who was also a unschooling mom:   http://sandradodd.com/college

A magazine for unschoolers:  Life Learning Magazine

This one I honestly haven't read yet, but plan on it and need to save it somewhere lol.  Sandra Dodd Interview

Unschooling

Kickbuttmama's blog post!

And of course, a funny picture to go with it all  :)

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 27, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I think you will love it & I know your kids will!This learning style goes very well with peaceful parenting too by the way.

• KickButtMama
    January 27, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Awesome! Glad I could help in any way. The fear of not following preconceived notions creeps in now and again, but I just try to remember the PS paradigm isn't working, even the best educators admit it. So trying to copy it would be silly. Last year I happened to have a friendly discussion with a college dean at a friends b-day party. Poor guy! Lol  but after explaining all we do, and how we do it, he encouraged me to continue! He complained that the poor PS kids felt so inadequate when starting college, and how frustrated professors get at having to tell the students HOW to learn. It reminded me of something I learned in the martial arts. My instructor had a saying, "black belt does not me you know everything, or that you have learned all there is to learn. It simply means you have learned HOW to learn." So I've made that my mission. That my kids high school diplomas will not be an indicator that the learning is done, just that they now understand how to do it effectively & efficiently.

• Rust.n.Gears
    January 28, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Getting into college is not that hard. My 17 year old is already getting acceptance letters for culinary school. We have unschooled her for years.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 28, 2013 at 1:28 AM
    I am the same way, I want my children to know there will always be something worth knowing that is new to them. We teach that by example because we are always learning new things & trying new & better ways of doing things.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Awesome! Glad I could help in any way. The fear of not following preconceived notions creeps in now and again, but I just try to remember the PS paradigm isn't working, even the best educators admit it. So trying to copy it would be silly. Last year I happened to have a friendly discussion with a college dean at a friends b-day party. Poor guy! Lol  but after explaining all we do, and how we do it, he encouraged me to continue! He complained that the poor PS kids felt so inadequate when starting college, and how frustrated professors get at having to tell the students HOW to learn. It reminded me of something I learned in the martial arts. My instructor had a saying, "black belt does not me you know everything, or that you have learned all there is to learn. It simply means you have learned HOW to learn." So I've made that my mission. That my kids high school diplomas will not be an indicator that the learning is done, just that they now understand how to do it effectively & efficiently.

• irvinehiker
    January 28, 2013 at 9:26 AM

So, may I ask what the application/testing process involved.  We unschool also. :)

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Getting into college is not that hard. My 17 year old is already getting acceptance letters for culinary school. We have unschooled her for years.

• faeriemom1972
    January 28, 2013 at 5:58 PM

That's one of my favourite cartoons! I really like Sandra Dodd, I think she spoke at the Life is Good conference in Vancouver, Washington last year but I'm not sure. We didn't get to go last year, but we are going this year.

• KickButtMama
    January 28, 2013 at 6:06 PM

http://www.collegeview.com/articles/article/homeschool-college

Quoting irvinehiker:

So, may I ask what the application/testing process involved.  We unschool also. :)

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts