Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
urbanique
3rd grade homeschooling
January 27, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Good afternoon ladies,

I am new to this homeschooling journey, but I am ready and willing to what ever it takes to continue my son's advancement in his education. We actually just started after the new years. It all started when we had to move due to a relocation for my job, and the schooling here is horrible when it comes to dicipline and teaching the children vs. categorizing the kids and saying they need counseling and meds because the teachers are too lazy to be involved with the kids...anyhoo my son passed the talented and gifted testing and this area placed him in a regular class with not enough work, then tried to say he had behavior issues when all he wanted to do was more work (they wouldnt give it to him because it wasnt in the lesson plans). So after reasearching this for 3mo I decided that he cannot go into the new year upset, stressed, and mislead. So if anyone has any suggestions on where to start, or examples of different avenues please share. 

Replies

• romacox
    by romacox
    January 27, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Welcome urbanique,

Following is a link that gives tuns of information (Different Methods Used By Home Educators, How To Create Your Own Lesson Plans, State Laws, Grade Level Requirements, and more)  How To Home School

Does this describe your Son?

If so, the following web page will give you some insight.  How The Analytical (NT) Child Learns.

• oahoah
    by oahoah
    January 27, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Welcome to the group. I have been homeschooling my 8 y/o, 5 and 3 y/o for a couple years but still learning and trying new things. My 8 y/o was in kindergarten for 3/4 of the year and is still "un"-learning the school techniques.  I got my best help and advice from joining local yahoo groups. We have a great homeschool community but it is isolating so a lot of the "mentor" moms have been so helpful. My only advice is to not let yourself get overwhelmed or bogged down and to remember why you started this. Have fun with your son and try new things.  When we first started I asked my boys what they wanted to learn about and we did unit studies, we'd go to the library, check out books,  read together.  I would also check out your state laws and http://www.hslda.org/ can be a great reference point.  Try to find the style of learning your son likes best and adapt what he needs to learn to that style. Good luck & congrats!

• Kerseygeek
    January 28, 2013 at 6:11 PM
    Calvert & Oak Meadow are good box curriculums. Publishers Pearson & Houghton Mifflin have great subject books & Pearson even has a homeschool page. If you google 3rd grade homeschool you'll find lots of links to resources. Start keeping a bookmark folder for things you like. Also do a search on Amazon.
  • Kerseygeek
    January 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM
    I forgot to mention, find out what places in your area do homeschool days & find museums & such that you can use for learning.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    January 28, 2013 at 10:44 PM
    Welcome!
  • mem82
    by mem82
    January 28, 2013 at 10:45 PM
    My son is in second so you are a little ahead of us.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    January 28, 2013 at 10:45 PM
    Good luck!
  • Pukalani79
    January 28, 2013 at 10:46 PM

There's so many options out there. We use Oak Meadow, but I often supplement with things I find online.  Definitely try to hook up with a homeschool group in your area, they can be a great source of help and support

• cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    January 28, 2013 at 10:48 PM
    Welcome! My ds was in traditional public school for kindergarten and first grade. We're homeschooling this yeat for second grade. I'm using an online public charter school, which works great for us.
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    January 29, 2013 at 11:02 AM

welcome uban!!!

you could deschool him for a month or so while you decide what to use for him!!

http://www.livingjoyfully.ca/unschooling/getting_started/what_is_deschooling.htm

http://www.homeschooloasis.com/art_deschooling_tips.htm 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN