Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Malley
Anyone with children with speech/language delays
by Malley
January 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM

My son is 5 and at his last eval in June was  on a 2.5 level  for speech articulation and a 3.5 level for language. I am finding he is treated at school as not too smart and maybe the teacher isn't expecting much of him. He also seems to be giving up because of his speech, and is starting to smile and shrug when he's asked a question. I have him in private speech, not through school.

Just now we were playing around on a demo site for Time4Learning and he did the Science water cycle lesson. I was surprised he knew all about it. His speech really is blocking his progress. Now I'm thinking he may need some sort of program where he can make choices and doesn't have to say answers aloud.

Has anyone found online programs that work especially well?

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 27, 2013 at 1:16 PM
    I know there are tools for kids with Autism who are nonverbal that help them communicate with others I would see if any of them might help him. Some are apps for smart phones or tablets & others are like story boards or communication charts. Search for "autistic nonverbal communication tools" also sign language can help too.
  • kirbymom
    January 27, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Hi Malley. :)  This is not intended as any kind of judgement on anyone. This is just my opinion but I think that sometimes everyone is putting too much emphasis on a child to learn to speak at such young ages. I have known several little ones who wouldn't speak but grunted or pointed to everything they were talking about. And everyone was so concerned that these children were going to have such problems.  Well, they didn't have problems. But, when left alone and not overly bothered, everyone found out that it wasn't that they couldn't /weren't capable of talking, it was just that they didn't want to. Now, I realize this is not always the case.  All I am saying is this, making a big deal can be the problem in and of itself.   

I also agree with usmom. You might try teaching him some sign language. By making that a game a secret game, that only you and he know(for now), you might find that he is more willing to *talk* in this way more. :) 

• Malley
    by Malley
    January 27, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    He has a rare chromosomal disorder that has caused him to have low tone which affects his tongue. He just got the diagnosis in August and his geneticist has started him on supplements that have really helped with his energy level. He talks all the time, but it's hard for other people to understand him.His tongue has a much better range of motion now.

We did Baby Sign when he went through Early Intervention and it was great.
  • kirbymom
    January 27, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Have you ever had his hearing checked? 

Quoting Malley:

He has a rare chromosomal disorder that has caused him to have low tone which affects his tongue. He just got the diagnosis in August and his geneticist has started him on supplements that have really helped with his energy level. He talks all the time, but it's hard for other people to understand him.His tongue has a much better range of motion now.

• Malley
    by Malley
    January 27, 2013 at 3:02 PM
    Yes, it's fine.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Malley:

• kirbymom
    January 27, 2013 at 3:07 PM

The reason I asked is because my husband had a cousin who went through something similar. His cousin didn't learn to speak until he was 8 years old. And he is as intelligent as anyone with a higher than average IQ.  

Quoting Malley:

Yes, it's fine.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Malley:

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM

My son, Cole, was a late talker and is finally starting to be understood at 7, now 8, years old. We practiced sounds and pronunciation but we didn't really use a curriculum to do it.

• Malley
    by Malley
    January 27, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    He gets checked every year since he was 2. I wondered if he was having hearing problems since he wasn't pronouncing his words clearly but that wasn't why.

Quoting kirbymom:

The reason I asked is because my husband had a cousin who went through something similar. His cousin didn't learn to speak until he was 8 years old. And he is as intelligent as anyone with a higher than average IQ.  

Quoting Malley:

Yes, it's fine.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Malley:

• Malley
    by Malley
    January 27, 2013 at 5:37 PM
    I agree. My 2.5 year is like that and his former sitter kept telling me he needed speech because he didn't talk like she thought he should. I wasn't worried because when he has something to say he talks in complete sentences. His receptive language is very good. So he goes between almost grunting, like saying "Ya" for yes and then saying "Don't ever pull my hair!" when I'm brushing it lol.

Quoting kirbymom:

Hi Malley. :)  This is not intended as any kind of judgement on anyone. This is just my opinion but I think that sometimes everyone is putting too much emphasis on a child to learn to speak at such young ages. I have known several little ones who wouldn't speak but grunted or pointed to everything they were talking about. And everyone was so concerned that these children were going to have such problems.  Well, they didn't have problems. But, when left alone and not overly bothered, everyone found out that it wasn't that they couldn't /weren't capable of talking, it was just that they didn't want to. Now, I realize this is not always the case.  All I am saying is this, making a big deal can be the problem in and of itself.   

I also agree with usmom. You might try teaching him some sign language. By making that a game a secret game, that only you and he know(for now), you might find that he is more willing to *talk* in this way more. :) 

• Malley
    by Malley
    January 27, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    Did being a late talker affect him academically, like learning phonics?

Quoting mem82:

My son, Cole, was a late talker and is finally starting to be understood at 7, now 8, years old. We practiced sounds and pronunciation but we didn't really use a curriculum to do it.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN