Homeschooling Moms

Malley
Anyone with children with speech/language delays
by Malley
January 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM

My son is 5 and at his last eval in June was  on a 2.5 level  for speech articulation and a 3.5 level for language. I am finding he is treated at school as not too smart and maybe the teacher isn't expecting much of him. He also seems to be giving up because of his speech, and is starting to smile and shrug when he's asked a question. I have him in private speech, not through school.

Just now we were playing around on a demo site for Time4Learning and he did the Science water cycle lesson. I was surprised he knew all about it. His speech really is blocking his progress. Now I'm thinking he may need some sort of program where he can make choices and doesn't have to say answers aloud.

Has anyone found online programs that work especially well?

Replies

• Mommyfish831
    January 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Have you ever heard of these?  I just wanted to share these.  My son has a speech/articulation delay as well, he is 4 and has been in speech since September.  I came across these in my search of how to help him.  Idk if they would  interest you but I just wanted to share.

https://www.speechbuddy.com/parents

sorry it's not colicky, Idk how to do that while on my iPad. 

• Malley
    by Malley
    January 27, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    That is really cool! His therapy shows him how she holds her tongue and he uses a mirror. I found the Mr. Tongue story online and we practice that. That shows proper placement for the sounds.

Quoting Mommyfish831:

Have you ever heard of these?  I just wanted to share these.  My son has a speech/articulation delay as well, he is 4 and has been in speech since September.  I came across these in my search of how to help him.  Idk if they would  interest you but I just wanted to share.

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 27, 2013 at 5:56 PM

He did struggle a bit with that because he sounded different sounding out words. He still struggles with the "TH"  sound. He makes it sounds like SSSss. Vocabulary wise, though, it doesn't hurt him. Just with the phonics. We had to really lean on sight words only, for a while. Now he is catching up like a flash with phonics.

Quoting Malley:

Did being a late talker affect him academically, like learning phonics?

Quoting mem82:

My son, Cole, was a late talker and is finally starting to be understood at 7, now 8, years old. We practiced sounds and pronunciation but we didn't really use a curriculum to do it.

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 27, 2013 at 5:58 PM

We also had to make a lot of effort to go back and correct words he said clearly enough that everyone understood him, but he wasn't pronouncing physically correctly. 'They' was more like 'Sey' and 'More' was 'Mo'. When he went to read, this really hindered him because the words didn't look like how he thought they sounded. Does that make sense? lol

• bluerooffarm
    January 27, 2013 at 6:03 PM
    My 4yo thrusts his tongue when he speaks. His s sounds like th. Our speech therapist told US to have him use his tongue to hold a popsicle stick straight up against his nose. It forces him to have his tongue in the proper placement right behind the bottom teeth. After he practices with the stick, he is so much easier for other people to understand. He's even starting to remember tongue position at other times.
    People often treat him as if he is younger or less intelligent after they hear him. It really drives me crazy because he is so very smart!
  • kirbymom
    January 28, 2013 at 2:31 PM

You mean there is an actual program that does this? lol I do this on my own with my kids.  :)  This is neat. Thanks for validating something for me.  :)  

Quoting Malley:

That is really cool! His therapy shows him how she holds her tongue and he uses a mirror. I found the Mr. Tongue story online and we practice that. That shows proper placement for the sounds.

Quoting Mommyfish831:

Homeschooling Moms