Homeschooling Moms

rsrangel
Fighting
January 27, 2013 at 10:26 AM

The fighting in my house between 2 of my boys is SO bad today, I can't stand it anymore!!!  They are 8 and 5, and today I have to keep them completely separated because every time they get near each other my 5 year old starts being a pest trying to aggravate him, and my 8 year old screams at the top of his lungs.  Then once the 5 year old decides to go over and attempt to play nicely, my 8 year old STILL screams at the top of his lungs for NO reason!!!!  I have never seen kids fight as badly as these 2 are today.  I never did this with my brother (but we were 10 years a part so maybe that's why).  Please tell me I'm not the only 1 that has days like this!

Replies

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    January 28, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I have a 6 year old dd and a 1 1/2 yr old ds. What you described is pretty constant in our house too.

• KrissyKC
    January 28, 2013 at 2:29 PM

1 year olds require a lot of patience, though, because they haven't completely LEARNED to share and get along yet... 

and six year olds aren't abundant on patience....

So I can imagine!!   It's like my 4 yr old... the other two get in trouble a lot because they just get so dang frustrated at her behavior.

Quoting Dawn07:

I have a 6 year old dd and a 1 1/2 yr old ds. What you described is pretty constant in our house too.

• snowangel1979
    January 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM
    I have a weird solution but it worked for me. I have/had 3 boys. (Plus a girl who's not even 2 yet)

First 2 were 15months apart, youngest was 6 years behind them.

Youngest DS used to aggravate older two. Older two used to fight non-stop, actually all 3 used to fight all the time. I got sick of hearing mom this, mom that. Time outs, punishments. Ect.

When youngest DS was about 3 I stopped getting involved, work it out yourselves, period. (they are now 15, 8 and would be 14)

Older ones beat up younger one a couple times and he stopped aggravating them. Older two had some fights but couldn't come running to me. Guess what happened, they all started getting along. They started talking it out, started sharing better, started playing better, figuring it out themselves.

Every time I start getting involved, they seem to fight more. My policy now is unless someone is bleeding or broken, work it out yourselves.
  • superwoman0105
    January 29, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I have three boys in this house and they are all home with me all the time.  They are 7, 4, and 18 months.  It's always like that around my house but we have a rule in my house too.  IF you scream for any reason other than an emergency, you get a swat or a time out from a favorite privilege.  It usually works.

• starbeck96
    January 29, 2013 at 3:08 PM
    I have twin boys that are 14 and they still have days like this...lol. my daughter is six and aggravates them all the time and they aggravate her all the time..lol.

Today though, I made the boys take her outside and watch her...lol. It sure did help my stress kevel. I did peek through the blinds or open the front door every few minutes though...

• bluerooffarm
    January 29, 2013 at 3:53 PM
    Omg! We have a giant shirt that says, "I'm not getting along with my brother" when our boys can't get along we either make them wear it so they have to cooperate, or we make them sit and look at each other!

Quoting kirbymom:

LOL  You are NOT the only one!.  Hubby says that it is standard male aggression going back to the caveman days.  :)  

You know what we do when things start going down this road?  We tell them that if they don't stop this , we are going to tie them together, meaning they will have to go wherever each one decides to go, including the bathroom or going to bed or going outside. They will be each other's shadow. At first, this would work so that we never had to tie them together. Then, as this would progress, we ended up having to do this for a short time. It settled them dowm=n like you wouldn't believe.  We alos would tell them that if they found they couldn't handle each other, we told them they were going to have to 1. hug each other 2. kiss each other on the cheek, like they meant it and 3. tell each other they loved each other so much.  This always got to them. They couldn't stand the thought of having to hug and kiss the cheeks. LOL   That mostly always did the trick and settled things down but there were days even that didn't work. SO we made them do jumping jacks and run up and down the steps and run in circles, all kinds of exercising activity so that they didn't have the energy to fight anymore. :)   

• kirbymom
    January 29, 2013 at 3:59 PM

LOL ~  Yep. That kind of discipline almost always works.  Kids just hate to have to be lovey dovey towards each other and would rather straighten up than have to do that.  hahahaha  :)  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Omg! We have a giant shirt that says, "I'm not getting along with my brother" when our boys can't get along we either make them wear it so they have to cooperate, or we make them sit and look at each other!

Quoting kirbymom:

LOL  You are NOT the only one!.  Hubby says that it is standard male aggression going back to the caveman days.  :)  

You know what we do when things start going down this road?  We tell them that if they don't stop this , we are going to tie them together, meaning they will have to go wherever each one decides to go, including the bathroom or going to bed or going outside. They will be each other's shadow. At first, this would work so that we never had to tie them together. Then, as this would progress, we ended up having to do this for a short time. It settled them dowm=n like you wouldn't believe.  We alos would tell them that if they found they couldn't handle each other, we told them they were going to have to 1. hug each other 2. kiss each other on the cheek, like they meant it and 3. tell each other they loved each other so much.  This always got to them. They couldn't stand the thought of having to hug and kiss the cheeks. LOL   That mostly always did the trick and settled things down but there were days even that didn't work. SO we made them do jumping jacks and run up and down the steps and run in circles, all kinds of exercising activity so that they didn't have the energy to fight anymore. :)   

• wunderwifey
    January 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM
    The other day the girls get bickering with each other and I'd finally had it so I told them if I heard any more I was gonna make them sit and stare at each other. It was a very peaceful evening after that. ;)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts