Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
ArisMom208
k12 online school?
January 27, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I don't homeschool my daughter yet, shes not even 1 yet but i'm trying to prepare and figure out exactly what we are going to do. I was homeschooled from 7th til i graduated highschool. My grandmother just rented the books from the school district and did it that way. I would like to use an online program and i  think i like the k12 program but besides watching there videos and trying the sample lesson i know nothing about it.

Did anybody else do it?

What did you like /dislike?

How much did it cost you to get the books and stuff to get started?

Replies

• CowgirlMama0508
    January 27, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    I looked into k12 until I figured out it is b&m school just at home. I'm homeschooling to get away from public school. I don't want my children's education dictated by the government.

Good luck to you and here's a bump :-)
  • momoftwobugs
    January 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Check out the virtual academies post in this group. There is a lot of info about K12 in that post.

We use K12 and CowgirlMama is right, it is just B&M school at home. That being said I do have the flexibility to teach my children the way they learn best. I just have to make sure I am complying with the districts rules and regulations as far as attendance and testing. K12 is good if you need accountabilty and structure, but don't believe their advertising that says it is tailored to the child. That is simply not true.

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I haven't used K2 but here is a bump!

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Good luck!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM
    Keep your options open because there might be even better programmes by the time she is old enough to start one.
  • kirbymom
    January 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Hi ArisMom. Welcome.  :)  

I homeschool fully and write all of our curriculum. So, would be of no help.  :) Here is a bump though, as there are others in here who do use K12. :) 

• bluerooffarm
    January 27, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    I do use k12 and I do not like it. We will be finishing out this year and then we will be doing it ourselves. You have a whole lot of time to research exactly what you want to do. Look up your state laws, friend your local k12 on facebook and see what comes up in the comments and question on their page. Look at other curriculums and see if there are others you like better. Do not give them your address and phone number until you are sure that they are what you want. They have been known to strong arm the local public schools to give them funds they do not deserve. I would have to look up those links, but I know there is a lawsuit going on in Pennsylvania about contested allocations.
    Good luck and I hope you find exactly what you want and what is best for your family and situation. Also, I thought it was going to be a big savings, using k12, but now purchasing my own curriculum pieces, it is only costing our family about 450 dollars for 3 boys...most of that is math.
  • KALmommy
    January 27, 2013 at 9:56 PM

We are doing K12 now.  We will not be doing in next year and in fact, may quit by Wednesday (semester end).  It is exactly a b&m school at home.  You have to connect with teacher weekly, have "class connects" (online classes) for 60 min. a week and your kids are still kept in a "box".  For example, my daughter was learning how to write a research paper.  She wanted to write her paper on horses but horses wasn't on their list of things to write about so they wouldn't accept it.  My daughter wrote it on one of their topics but had no fun or interest in it and didn't learn anything.  There have been MANY more issues I've dealt with but that would take up too much space here :)

• MessedUpMama
    January 28, 2013 at 12:51 AM

K-12 and other virtual academys also have a pay version of their curriculum which isn't based on the B&M schools. I'm not sure what the difference is, except I doubt that there are teachers, other than the parents, involved. If you like their curriculum and can afford it, then it would be like any other boxed curriculum. I don't know if the online aspect is part of the paid curriculum like it is for the Virtual Academies offered through the state. You should be able to call and talk to someone, or write an email to someone with your questions.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN