Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
midnight_storm
Looking into homeschooling
January 26, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Hello ladies, my name is Amy I'm a 39 yrs old mother of 3 dds. My oldest is almost 20 my youngest is 5. A friend of mine and I are looking into homeschooling our kids for various reasons. We are thinking of homeschooling together. My oldest did an online at home school program. It wasn't a bad program, its just not the route we'd like to go. First, what are some things you all can share with us to make this endeavor successful?How did you get started? Are there online aids that can help us? What should we know? How does it work? Think of us as blank slates to garnier all your homeschooling wisdom on us:) We are in Az and I'm really not finding much detailing, just that we have to notify to school district and not much else. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• coala
    by coala
    January 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM

We chose a "boxed curriculum".  I find this easier for us.  I cannot say that will use it forever.  Every you will find something that may need to be tweaked for either the child or for you.

Find out what your child's learning style is, and what your teaching style is.  There are some moms that have answered questions and given links for this stuff.

Good luck in you endeavor.  BTW at the age of 5 you can do most of it for little to no cost.

• stargazerwolf
    January 26, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I just found a list of what kindergarteners were to know by the end of the year and made an outline of what we needed to do. From that I planned out what we'd do each day. Here we have 5 subjects that are supposed to be taught and I made it all from that too. Starfall.com is great for a 5 year old (my oldest DD is almost 5) it has letters, phonics, numbers, and begining to read. It has a lot of activities and most of them also teach them while they play. It is great!! I'm hoping to  homeschool, right now just working with her on letters, numbers and some phonics, also do a bit of science and "social studies" as well as a "health" class which is mainly learning why we need to wash our hangs and stuff like that. Good luck, it shouldn't cost much at all for kindergarten :)

• pinkschoolhouse
    January 26, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Quoting midnight_storm:

Hello ladies, my name is Amy I'm a 39 yrs old mother of 3 dds. My oldest is almost 20 my youngest is 5. A friend of mine and I are looking into homeschooling our kids for various reasons. We are thinking of homeschooling together. My oldest did an online at home school program. It wasn't a bad program, its just not the route we'd like to go. First, what are some things you all can share with us to make this endeavor successful?How did you get started? Are there online aids that can help us? What should we know? How does it work? Think of us as blank slates to garnier all your homeschooling wisdom on us:) We are in Az and I'm really not finding much detailing, just that we have to notify to school district and not much else. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Amy. I was thrown into homeschooling  when my DD was removed from ps in K. due to bullying. I knew nothing about hs. I found Rebecca Rupp's book Home Learning Year by Year. It gives guidelines for each year for what you should be teaching and good book titles. There are all kinds of stuff online......if you just cruise this group and Happy Homeschoolers you will find all kinds of links to info.

You said you checked your laws for AZ, so that's good. You definitely want to stay legal. Homeschooling works however you want it to work. Every homeschooling household is unique. There is no wrong way to do it. LOL It's just whatever works best for your children. Some kids like workbooks, some like a computer-tutor, some do best with unschooling child-led learning, some need full-blown structure, some need more relaxed, etc. Some hs moms want religious curriculum, some only want secular. It all varies.

Rupp's book is excellent. There are other books out there. Hopefully your library is good. Rainbow Resource Center is a good place to get materials.

I'm sure other moms will chime in with more information. Welcome to the group!

• romacox
    by romacox
    January 27, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I am a Home School workshop leader, and am asked these questions a lot.  So I put together the following  free web page  to answer  questions.  How To Home School

Your State Home School Association is Arizona Families For Home Education, and on their site they go over your State Laws. Most State Associations are very willing to help if you call them.  Arizona State Laws For Home Educators

• KickButtMama
    January 27, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I use a lot of technology. My favorites are: www.time4learning.com www.khanacademy.org, www.brainpop.com and www.readingeggs.com 

• uriahadel
    January 27, 2013 at 9:31 AM
    I chose several different written curriculums and we mostly do hands on. She is in first grade, and she loves it. I also am homeschooling with a childhood friend of mine. Her dd is a couple months younger then mine. We go on playdates and field trips together, and we tests our children together. For our testing time, we swap kids and we give the kids the same test and we grade them and then swap tests. We are also going to be teaching the subjects we know best with the other parents child. It works for us. I am really good at math and she is really good at language and arts so we can swip swap. It is awesome. She just talked to several teachers this past week and found out our kids are on a thrid grade level right now, and they are only in first grade, but they already know third grade material

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN