Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Malley
Registering your home as a private school?
by Malley
January 26, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I'm new to all this and looked up my state laws (Louisiana) which said I could register my child as home schooling but he'd need to take the state tests, I'd need to show my curriculum, etc., or I could register as a private school and not have to do all that. That sounds better because I want freedom to plan the curriculum. I've been a public school teacher for 30 years so I have a good idea what I want to teach him.  Has anyone registered as a private school? Are there any disadvantages?.

Replies

• MommyTo5Boys
    January 26, 2013 at 10:50 AM

No idea since I'm from NY ..... but here's a BUMP!

Hopefully you can get your answer.

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    January 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    Hi, Malley. I'm from Louisiana too. For the second option all you have to do is send in a letter telling them you are homeschooling and that's it your good to go.
    The first option does require a little more but you still have the freedom to choose what curriculum you want. I am mobile right now but I will get on the computer and give you some links that help explain it more if you would like.
  • Malley
    by Malley
    January 26, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Quoting Dawn07:

Hi, Malley. I'm from Louisiana too. For the second option all you have to do is send in a letter telling them you are homeschooling and that's it your good to go.
    The first option does require a little more but you still have the freedom to choose what curriculum you want. I am mobile right now but I will get on the computer and give you some links that help explain it more if you would like.

Thanks, I'd like that! Which did you pick?

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    January 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM
    I will be doing the 2nd option ( letter). My daughter is turning 7 this year so this is my first year that I will actually have to let them know.

Quoting Malley:

Quoting Dawn07:

Thanks, I'd like that! Which did you pick?

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    January 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Ok, this link has a really good comparison between the two options and underneath they provide a link to HSLDA which also gives a summary.

This is the link straight to the non public school information. (The letter option).

And here is the link to the home study just so you'll have it.

I have printed out the guidelines for both options and keep them in my binder.

From what I've understood the differences between the options are:

The home study you must send in an application and then after that a packet with it to show what you have been learning. State testing is not required, but it is an option for the packet. 

This allows access to public school sports and such. You also are qualified for TOPS once you are in high school.

The letter option is very simple. You send in a certified letter so that you are in right standing with the attendance law and that's it. You are pretty much left alone. You can not get TOPS with this option or have access to the public school sports. There are some home school groups that have sports though.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you lol.

• Malley
    by Malley
    January 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    He went to public school for K so I'll have to do it this year even though he'll only be 6, right?
  • Malley
    by Malley
    January 26, 2013 at 12:06 PM
    Thanks for the links!
  • bluerooffarm
    January 26, 2013 at 1:20 PM
    Look at the laws in your state very carefully. In Pennsylvania the rule is that kindergarten doesn't count. I can pull my kindergartener out and not send in my affidavits until he is 7.

Quoting Malley:

He went to public school for K so I'll have to do it this year even though he'll only be 6, right?
  • Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    January 26, 2013 at 11:20 PM
    No not the letter. Louisiana doesn't require a child to be in school until 7. Anytime before that is the parents decision. You may want to tell the school just to let them know so there isn't any confusion, but as for as requirements from the state, there shouldn't be any yet.

Quoting Malley:

• KickButtMama
    January 27, 2013 at 10:03 AM

In some areas, there needs to be a religious attachment for registering as a private school.

here a some links that might assist you -

http://www.homelifeacademy.com/homeschool_state/Louisiana/

http://www.homeschoolinginlouisiana.com/gettingstarted/legal/forms.aspx

http://www.gillelands.com/learningodyssey/start.html

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email